    did, however, say that Episode III was being well documented for DVD, and he
    once again noted that the original theatrical versions of these films no longer
    exist - the new SEs are George's ultimate vision for these films."

    BubbCoop, Sep 22, 2003

  2. BubbCoop

    Mark B. Guest

    "BubbCoop" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Current rumor is end of 2004. But if the following is true, I won't buy

    them, I
    > think a campaign against the Special Editions should start now.
    >
    > "At the recent DVD conference in L.A., I spoke with Lucasfilm's Jim Ward,

    who
    > predictably wouldn't discuss the DVD release plan for the original Star

    Wars
    > films, other than to say that they WOULD be released on DVD at some point.

    He
    > did, however, say that Episode III was being well documented for DVD, and

    he
    > once again noted that the original theatrical versions of these films no

    longer
    > exist - the new SEs are George's ultimate vision for these films."

    This is old news. Other than the rumor about them coming out in '04, he's
    always been quoted as saying he would not be releasing them in their
    original form. I don't see how a campaign or petition will help, he
    obviously doesn't care.

    Mark

    Mark B., Sep 23, 2003

  3. What I can't understand is George Lucas' refusal to release Star Wars on DVD
    !
    WHY ??
    He must know that he'll make a fortune !
    Maybe he's got enough money now !

    andrew.upton4, Sep 23, 2003
  4. BubbCoop

    Wade365 Guest

    << What I can't understand is George Lucas' refusal to release Star Wars on DVD
    !
    WHY ??
    He must know that he'll make a fortune ! >>

    Because he enjoys watching fanboys dangle on the thread, dancing in
    anticipation with their tight little fists twisted up even tighter in their
    jockeys over his every meal & movement (as in BOWEL).

    Wade365, Sep 23, 2003
  5. Mark B. wrote:

    > "BubbCoop" <> wrote in message
    > > Current rumor is end of 2004. But if the following is true, I won't buy

    > them, I
    > > think a campaign against the Special Editions should start now.
    > >
    > > "At the recent DVD conference in L.A., I spoke with Lucasfilm's Jim Ward,

    > who
    > > predictably wouldn't discuss the DVD release plan for the original Star

    > Wars
    > > films, other than to say that they WOULD be released on DVD at some point.

    > He
    > > did, however, say that Episode III was being well documented for DVD, and

    > he
    > > once again noted that the original theatrical versions of these films no

    > longer
    > > exist - the new SEs are George's ultimate vision for these films."

    > This is old news. Other than the rumor about them coming out in '04, he's
    > always been quoted as saying he would not be releasing them in their
    > original form. I don't see how a campaign or petition will help, he
    > obviously doesn't care.

    http://www.originaltrilogy.com/ has over 38,000 signatures for Lucas to
    bring the original trilogy out on DVD. Too bad they could get millions
    of signatures and it wouldn't get him to change his mind.

    LVIII

    Lord Vader III, Sep 23, 2003
  6. BubbCoop

    buck Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > http://www.originaltrilogy.com/ has over 38,000 signatures for Lucas to
    > bring the original trilogy out on DVD. Too bad they could get millions
    > of signatures and it wouldn't get him to change his mind.
    >
    > LVIII

    How can a petition get the man to release movies that dont exist???

    According to Lucas the original 3 no longer exist in a form usable for
    making DvDs.

    Given his feelings on the original 3, its really the only thing he has
    said in years that I would take at face value.

    Larry Lynch
    Mystic

    buck, Sep 23, 2003
  7. BubbCoop

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    buck wrote:
    > How can a petition get the man to release movies that dont exist???
    >
    > According to Lucas the original 3 no longer exist in a form usable for
    > making DvDs.

    I think the words are "the original THEATRICAL(my emphasis) version of
    these films no longer exists" which could mean that he has no prints
    suitable for projecting.

    > Given his feelings on the original 3, its really the only thing he has
    > said in years that I would take at face value.

    Well _I_ think that he will do some magical restoration in say 2008 or
    so and miraculously bring out the originals for everyone to buy (again).

    dick
    --but I'm not dumping my laserdisks just yet

    Dick Sidbury, Sep 23, 2003
  8. Dick Sidbury <> writes:

    > buck wrote:
    > > How can a petition get the man to release movies that dont exist???
    > > According to Lucas the original 3 no longer exist in a form usable
    > > for making DvDs.
    > >

    > I think the words are "the original THEATRICAL(my emphasis) version of
    > these films no longer exists" which could mean that he has no prints
    > suitable for projecting.
    >
    > > Given his feelings on the original 3, its really the only thing he
    > > has said in years that I would take at face value.

    > Well _I_ think that he will do some magical restoration in say 2008 or
    > so and miraculously bring out the originals for everyone to buy
    > (again).
    >
    > dick
    > --but I'm not dumping my laserdisks just yet

    The THX laserdisc set was a complete remaster of the original
    negatives. That wasn't that long ago. I can't see them not being
    preserved someplace. Have you seen that South Park episode with Lucas
    and Speilberg wanting to redo Raiders? Probably not far from the
    truth.

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

    Scott Streeter, Sep 23, 2003
  9. BubbCoop wrote:

    > Current rumor is end of 2004. But if the following is true, I won't buy them, I
    > think a campaign against the Special Editions should start now.
    >
    > "At the recent DVD conference in L.A., I spoke with Lucasfilm's Jim Ward, who
    > predictably wouldn't discuss the DVD release plan for the original Star Wars
    > films, other than to say that they WOULD be released on DVD at some point. He
    > did, however, say that Episode III was being well documented for DVD, and he
    > once again noted that the original theatrical versions of these films no longer
    > exist - the new SEs are George's ultimate vision for these films."

    This is sort of off topic, but every Star Wars fan ought to watch the
    movie in ASCII. If you have never seen it, be sure to visit:
    telnet://towel.blinkenlights.nl/ in your favorite telnet client (if you
    can find one type telnet in the Run box in windows and then type o
    towel.blinkenlights.nl It is amazing how much free time people have.

    Adios,
    ~Nick

    Nicholas Andrade, Sep 23, 2003
  10. BubbCoop

    buck Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > The THX laserdisc set was a complete remaster of the original
    > negatives. That wasn't that long ago. I can't see them not being
    > preserved someplace. Have you seen that South Park episode with Lucas
    > and Speilberg wanting to redo Raiders? Probably not far from the
    > truth.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Streeter
    >
    > http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

    My son has that set of LDs, and it may well be the only source I have
    for those movies for years to come.

    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct

    buck, Sep 23, 2003
  11. BubbCoop

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Scott Streeter" <> wrote in message
    > The THX laserdisc set was a complete remaster of the original
    > negatives.

    No, actually, that was strictly a video restoration, not a true film
    restoration.

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 23, 2003
  12. BubbCoop

    Starz_Kid Guest

    Hmmmm, I went one step further and transfered my THX copies to DVDs.
    Tremendous vid quality!! I used a coax input, if I recall! It was a fun
    project!

    Starz_Kid...

    Starz_Kid, Sep 24, 2003
  13. "Nicholas Andrade" <> wrote in message
    > BubbCoop wrote:
    >
    > > Current rumor is end of 2004. But if the following is true, I won't buy

    them, I
    > > think a campaign against the Special Editions should start now.
    > >
    > > "At the recent DVD conference in L.A., I spoke with Lucasfilm's Jim

    Ward, who
    > > predictably wouldn't discuss the DVD release plan for the original Star

    Wars
    > > films, other than to say that they WOULD be released on DVD at some

    point. He
    > > did, however, say that Episode III was being well documented for DVD,

    and he
    > > once again noted that the original theatrical versions of these films no

    longer
    > > exist - the new SEs are George's ultimate vision for these films."

    > This is sort of off topic, but every Star Wars fan ought to watch the
    > movie in ASCII. If you have never seen it, be sure to visit:
    > telnet://towel.blinkenlights.nl/ in your favorite telnet client (if you
    > can find one type telnet in the Run box in windows and then type o
    > towel.blinkenlights.nl It is amazing how much free time people have.
    >
    > Adios,
    > ~Nick

    ROFLMAO!!!
    When was this done, late 80's-early 90's?
    Reminds me of a Doctor Who game I made for the Atari 1200xl back in 1985
    using BASIC - couldn't remember how to do that sort of thing today, though.

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Sep 24, 2003
  14. BubbCoop

    John DeGroof Guest

    On 23 Sep 2003 15:25:08 -0400, Scott Streeter <>
    wrote:

    >The THX laserdisc set was a complete remaster of the original
    >negatives. That wasn't that long ago. I can't see them not being
    >preserved someplace.

    I'll confirm the original negatives for the original films no longer
    exist. I worked at the film vaults that had the original negatives,
    and saw them myself, just over a year ago now. The orginal negative
    was cut to make the SE versions. That's all folks...

    --
    John DeGroof, Compressionist
    DVD, DAD, DVD Audio, MPEG, AC3, DTS, PCM, DSD, MLP

    John DeGroof, Sep 26, 2003
  15. BubbCoop

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "John DeGroof" <> wrote in message
    > I'll confirm the original negatives for the original films no longer
    > exist. I worked at the film vaults that had the original negatives,
    > and saw them myself, just over a year ago now. The orginal negative
    > was cut to make the SE versions. That's all folks...

    I wouldn't say "that's all". I'm sure there were other quality
    internegatives, interpositives, and/or dupe prints struck before the
    negative was altered that could be used for a fresh video transfer.

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 26, 2003
  16. Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > "John DeGroof" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'll confirm the original negatives for the original films no longer
    >>exist. I worked at the film vaults that had the original negatives,
    >>and saw them myself, just over a year ago now. The orginal negative
    >>was cut to make the SE versions. That's all folks...

    > I wouldn't say "that's all". I'm sure there were other quality
    > internegatives, interpositives, and/or dupe prints struck before the
    > negative was altered that could be used for a fresh video transfer.

    Doesn't the Library of Congress have an archival copy?

    Matthew

    --
    <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

    Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
    You can't break even.
    You can't get out of the game.

    Matthew L. Martin, Sep 26, 2003
  17. BubbCoop

    Smaug69 Guest

    "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >
    > > "John DeGroof" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I'll confirm the original negatives for the original films no longer
    > >>exist. I worked at the film vaults that had the original negatives,
    > >>and saw them myself, just over a year ago now. The orginal negative
    > >>was cut to make the SE versions. That's all folks...

    > > I wouldn't say "that's all". I'm sure there were other quality
    > > internegatives, interpositives, and/or dupe prints struck before the
    > > negative was altered that could be used for a fresh video transfer.
    > >

    > Doesn't the Library of Congress have an archival copy?

    And what about the National Film Registry?

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Sep 26, 2003
  18. BubbCoop

    John DeGroof Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:03:48 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >I wouldn't say "that's all". I'm sure there were other quality
    >internegatives, interpositives, and/or dupe prints struck before the
    >negative was altered that could be used for a fresh video transfer.

    We had some of those, and they were recalled to the ranch and
    reportedly destroyed, as supposedly every other copy was as well.
    There's no way to know for sure, but with this first-hand experience,
    I'd say it's pretty much "that's all".

    John DeGroof, Sep 26, 2003