Star Wars DVD matte problems?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Stychentyme, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. Stychentyme

    Stychentyme Guest

    Okay. I just got the Star Wars DVD boxset for christmas, and I noticed
    something strange.

    On the 'A New Hope' disc some of the mattes around the spaceships seem to be
    more visible than before. In the TIE fighter battle that ensues after our
    heroes escape the Death Star in the Millenium Falcon,..... I can really see
    the mattes around the TIE fighters in some of the SFX shots. Sometimes you
    can barely see them,.... but other times, they are obviously there!

    I was wondering if this is the way it's supposed to be?... or did I just get
    a bum copy? I thought they were supposed to clean all this stuff up for the
    DVD release? Overall, it seems like they have cleaned it up quite a
    bit,..... but that sequence is really bad. Has anyone else noticed what I'm
    describing?

    I have an old TV as well,....... maybe that's part of the problem. I need
    to get a new one.

    Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

    Stychentyme, Dec 29, 2004

  2. Stychentyme

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Sound & Vision did a big article about that exact thing recently, it's just
    a product of the resoration that was done.

    Pug Fugley, Dec 29, 2004

  3. Stychentyme <> wrote:

    > I have an old TV as well,....... maybe that's part of the problem. I need
    > to get a new one.

    My guess is that if you get a new TV, it will be even more visible.

    Jake Patterson, Dec 29, 2004
  4. Stychentyme

    Stychentyme Guest

    I don't suppose you have a link to that article, do you? ;o)

    Stychentyme, Dec 29, 2004
  5. "Jake Patterson" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Stychentyme <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have an old TV as well,....... maybe that's part of the problem. I

    need
    > > to get a new one.

    > My guess is that if you get a new TV, it will be even more visible.

    Could perhaps be a calibration problem too - if brightness/contrast is set
    too high, it may bring it out in a way not intended.

    Erling Groes-Petersen, Dec 30, 2004
  6. Stychentyme

    Del March Guest

    << > On the 'A New Hope' disc some of the mattes around the spaceships seem to
    be
    > more visible than before. In the TIE fighter battle that ensues after our
    > heroes escape the Death Star in the Millenium Falcon,..... I can really

    see
    > the mattes around the TIE fighters in some of the SFX shots. >><BR><BR>

    These are on the laserdisc too. I don't remember seeing them in the theaters.
    You would think in the digital realm, this would be easy to fix. Why don't
    they?

    Del March, Dec 30, 2004
  7. Stychentyme

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Del March wrote:
    > << > On the 'A New Hope' disc some of the mattes around the
    > spaceships seem to be
    >> more visible than before. In the TIE fighter battle that ensues
    >> after our heroes escape the Death Star in the Millenium Falcon,.....
    >> I can really

    > see
    >> the mattes around the TIE fighters in some of the SFX shots.

    > These are on the laserdisc too. I don't remember seeing them in the
    > theaters.

    Time has taken its toll. I also don't remember them in the theaters.

    > You would think in the digital realm, this would be easy to
    > fix. Why don't they?

    That's the question of the century. It wouldn't just be easy, it would be
    *trivial*. For all the messing Lucas does with these great movies, and he
    can't fix one of the simplest, most inexcusable flaws about them?

    Mike Kohary, Dec 30, 2004
  8. Stychentyme

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Stychentyme" <> wrote in message
    > On the 'A New Hope' disc some of the mattes around the spaceships seem
    > to be
    > more visible than before.

    Your TV's brightness is set too high. Buy a calibration disc.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 30, 2004
  9. Stychentyme

    Nick Guest

    Funny you should mention this, my r2 box set seems very dark - I have to
    turn my (new) tv's brightness right up and even then its not that bright -
    not the case with other dvd's

    Nick, Dec 30, 2004
  10. On 30 Dec 2004 03:59:20 GMT, ITEME (Del March) wrote:

    ><< > On the 'A New Hope' disc some of the mattes around the spaceships seem to
    >be
    >> more visible than before. In the TIE fighter battle that ensues after our
    >> heroes escape the Death Star in the Millenium Falcon,..... I can really

    >see
    >> the mattes around the TIE fighters in some of the SFX shots. >><BR><BR>

    >These are on the laserdisc too. I don't remember seeing them in the theaters.
    >You would think in the digital realm, this would be easy to fix. Why don't
    >they?

    I remember them from the original theatrical run.

    Dyuob Poltice, Dec 30, 2004
  11. Stychentyme

    nospam Guest

    Hhmmm. Since when should a tv be altered to remove a coloured matte box? If
    it was a slightly different shade of grey 'box' then I could accept the
    brightness/contrast tweaks, but to actually have to remove a colour this way
    is totally unacceptable.

    A hell of a lot of the detail disappears if the settings are tweaked to the
    THX colour mode. Particularly the detail in the cockpit during the space
    battles towards the end of the film.

    me.

    nospam, Jan 1, 2005