Star WArs dvd info

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by TSKO, Sep 8, 2004.

  1. TSKO

    TSKO Guest

    Lucas revisits his 'Star Wars' empire for box set

    Wed Sep 8, 6:41 AM ET Add Entertainment - USATODAY.com to My Yahoo!

    By Mike Snider, USA TODAY

    Hayden Christensen (news) was 2 years old when George Lucas released his
    third Star Wars film, Return of the Jedi, in 1983. Now the actor who would
    be Darth Vader gets a magical cameo in the DVD version.

    . Johansson fends off reporter's advances
    . Clinton alert, talking after heart bypass operation
    . Paltrow sweet on baby Apple
    . Paris bares even more
    . Whitney's figured out a way to beat Ken Jennings at his own
    game

    Search USATODAY.com

    Snapshots

    USA TODAY Snapshot
    How do we find love online?
    More USA TODAY Snapshots

    That's the biggest of several changes found in the movies that make up the
    Stars Wars Trilogy, available only in a four-disc box set that arrives on
    DVD Sept. 21 ($70).

    For more than a year, Web sites have traded rumors about what might be in
    store from Lucas, who added to the films for 1997's Special Edition releases
    in theaters and on VHS. A few fans held out hope that the DVDs might include
    the original versions of the films. (Related story: Filmmakers pay tribute
    to Lucas and the movie that started it all)

    But an early look at the DVDs reveals Lucas continues to exercise creative
    power over his Star Wars empire, and in his mind, the original versions are
    no more. The latest changes in the films - the most requested DVDs since the
    launch of the format seven years ago - are minor and mostly cosmetic:

    ..Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. Christensen, who plays Anakin Skywalker in
    Episode II: Attack of the Clones and in the upcoming Episode III: Revenge of
    the Sith, now appears at the end of Jedi as Anakin's spirit. He replaces
    Sebastian Shaw, whose face you still see when Luke Skywalker removes the
    iconic black Darth Vader mask. (In all three films, David Prowse wore the
    Vader suit, and James Earl Jones provided the voice.)

    ..Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. In another change for continuity's
    sake, the Emperor, whose face is seen in a hologram broadcast, goes
    uncredited, but he sounds and looks like Ian McDiarmid, who played the
    Emperor in Return of the Jedi and Senator Palpatine in Episodes I and II.
    (Clive Revill is listed as the Emperor in the Empire credits.)

    ..Episode IV: A New Hope. Only subtle changes here. The cantina shootout
    between Han Solo and the green-snouted bounty hunter Greedo is virtually
    identical, but now it seems their guns fire almost simultaneously. Lucas had
    changed the original for the 1997 rerelease because it seemed that Han had
    fired first. Also, Jabba the Hutt has gotten a makeover and looks more
    realistic in his scene with Han than when it was added in 1997.

    Undoubtedly, Lucas and his crew have made many other smaller tweaks. But
    they go by so quickly most viewers won't notice.

    Overall, the expected changes on the DVDs aren't as dramatic as those for
    the Special Editions in 1997, says Scott Chitwood, one of the co-founders of
    TheForce.Net, a Star Wars fan/news site. "I think a few of the changes will
    only make sense after Episode III," he says.

    Star Wars fan Mark Madison, 37, of Myrtle Beach, S.C., and a member of USA
    TODAY's Pop Culture Panel, is unconcerned about the changes. "What made
    these movies so great is the story and the relationship between the main
    characters."

    The trilogy's major transformation comes from the restoration project that
    brings the look of the films into the 21st century. Using transfers made
    from the original films' negatives, the Burbank, Calif., digital restoration
    house Lowry Digital Images cleaned up the movies so they look fresh.

    The box set's bonus disc includes a preview of the final Star Wars chapter,
    due in theaters May 19, 2005, which will bring to an end three decades that
    Lucas has spent on the space saga.

    "In the beginning ... it appeared the story was about Luke, but if you see
    all six films, then you realize the story is really about Darth Vader,"
    Lucas says in the commentary track from Return of the Jedi. Carrie Fisher
    (news) also assists on the commentaries, as do other crew members. Harrison
    Ford (news) and Mark Hamill (news) are seen in several of the extras.

    There's also a collection of trailers, TV commercials, posters and rare
    production photos. "It is a way of having a piece of the Lucasfilm archive,"
    says Jim Ward, executive producer of the DVD collection. "But it's also a
    way for fans who think they know everything to become inspired, surprised
    and amazed all over again."

    TSKO, Sep 8, 2004

  2. TSKO

    TSKO Guest

    Whoops.....sorry...should have posted a link instead of doing it this
    way....

    TSKO, Sep 8, 2004

  3. TSKO

    Mark W Guest

    Was I imagining it or - did George Lucas (at some point) announce that he
    intended to make nine films in all?

    Mark W, Sep 8, 2004
  4. "Mark W" <s@o> writes:

    > Was I imagining it or - did George Lucas (at some point) announce that he
    > intended to make nine films in all?

    Way back in the late 70s/early 80s when he actually cared about making
    movies (not money) he said that it would be nine movies.

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

    Scott Streeter, Sep 8, 2004
  5. TSKO

    Eric R. Guest

    Scott Streeter <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Way back in the late 70s/early 80s when he actually cared about making
    > movies (not money) he said that it would be nine movies.

    Yeah, I remember the Lucasfilm people promoting this as part of the
    press assault for Return of the Jedi in 1983 (3 trilogies of 3 films
    each--one prequel trilogy one sequel trilogy).

    -Eric

    Eric R., Sep 9, 2004
  6. TSKO

    Rich Guest

    I just hope they fix the Greedo scene. I don't even care who fired first,
    it looked so damn hokey in the '97 version.

    Rich, Sep 9, 2004
  7. TSKO

    Video Flyer Guest

    On 9/9/04 8:22 AM, in article , "Rich"
    <> wrote:

    > I just hope they fix the Greedo scene. I don't even care who fired first,
    > it looked so damn hokey in the '97 version.

    What I'm hearing now is that the scene has been "tweaked" again and that Han
    and Greedo fire at roughly the same time....

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Sep 9, 2004
  8. TSKO

    Biz Guest

    It started as 9 books....I've read them all and I know several people that
    have them..

    Biz, Sep 9, 2004
  9. TSKO

    Steven Wandy Guest

    > What I'm hearing now is that the scene has been "tweaked" again and that
    > Han
    > and Greedo fire at roughly the same time....

    Actually Greedo shoots "very slightly" ahead of Han but they also fixed up
    the way Han reacts (head and shoulders) to the shot. Atleast according the
    review on Digitalbits.

    Steven Wandy, Sep 9, 2004