    noticeable (and I'm no audiophile). It goes from crystal clear to muffled
    back to clear in several places. Enjoyed the movie otherwise, but the audio
    is a problem. I hope the other two movies are better.

    JWB, Sep 22, 2004

  2. JWB

    TSKO Guest

    "JWB" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Wow - it *is* really bad. I've only watched ep. 4 so far, but it's very
    > noticeable (and I'm no audiophile). It goes from crystal clear to muffled
    > back to clear in several places. Enjoyed the movie otherwise, but the
    > audio is a problem. I hope the other two movies are better.

    I have to say, the ole sub woofer gets a major workout w/ this flick. I
    thought the audio was quite good....but what do I know?

    TSKO, Sep 22, 2004

  3. JWB

    Yazandtony Guest

    I thought the audio was also quite good. There were a few parts where the score
    was "muffled out". Empire and Jedi however are flat out fantastic.

    Yazandtony, Sep 22, 2004
  4. JWB

    zmike6 Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:15:17 -0400, "JWB"
    <> wrote:

    >Wow - it *is* really bad. I've only watched ep. 4 so far, but it's very
    >noticeable (and I'm no audiophile). It goes from crystal clear to muffled
    >back to clear in several places. Enjoyed the movie otherwise, but the audio
    >is a problem. I hope the other two movies are better.

    I also find the erratic dialogue quality to be distracting. If it was
    consistently bad (or good) I might not notice...but it shifts even
    mid-scene. People say these are old movies, but there must be plenty
    of good sources for the audio. (laserdisc, 1997 special editions,
    even the VHS tapes have pretty decent sounding audio IMHO).

    And, it could easily be my imagination, but even Vader's breathing on
    ANH seems "wrong" somehow...too fast, or out of time with the
    dialogue. I'll have to compare with my VHS version.

    Overall, the effects noises and bass is overdone to the point where it
    stomps over some of the music cues and more subtle sounds.

    Not to mention the missing trumpet section at the beginning of the
    Death Star attack. (which is present on the French soundtrack,
    strangely enough).

    zmike6, Sep 22, 2004
  5. JWB

    Jordan Lund Guest

    zmike6 <zmike6@*SPAMBLOCK*yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Overall, the effects noises and bass is overdone to the point where it
    > stomps over some of the music cues and more subtle sounds.
    >
    > Not to mention the missing trumpet section at the beginning of the
    > Death Star attack. (which is present on the French soundtrack,
    > strangely enough).

    I'm wondering if it has to do with the Dolby Digital EX mixing instead
    of normal 5.1. I have a 6.1 setup and it's possible the missing audio
    is on the rear center channel? Hmmm... I need to do some testing.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Sep 22, 2004
  6. JWB

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Jordan Lund" <> wrote in message
    > I'm wondering if it has to do with the Dolby Digital EX mixing instead
    > of normal 5.1. I have a 6.1 setup and it's possible the missing audio
    > is on the rear center channel? Hmmm... I need to do some testing.

    No, if you play a Dolby Digital-EX or DTS-ES soundtrack through a
    conventional 5.1 audio system, the center rear channel information gets
    distributed to the other surround speakers. No audio is lost.

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 22, 2004
  7. JWB

    Venger Guest

    The soundtrack is BURIED in the enhanced audio effects. It's gross.

    I could go on, but I'd pop a vein in my head...

    Venger

    Venger, Sep 23, 2004
  8. JWB

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message news:<Ien4d.10762$>...
    > "Jordan Lund" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm wondering if it has to do with the Dolby Digital EX mixing instead
    > > of normal 5.1. I have a 6.1 setup and it's possible the missing audio
    > > is on the rear center channel? Hmmm... I need to do some testing.

    > No, if you play a Dolby Digital-EX or DTS-ES soundtrack through a
    > conventional 5.1 audio system, the center rear channel information gets
    > distributed to the other surround speakers. No audio is lost.

    I went through it last night in both 5.1 and 6.1 modes and I think the
    problem is that portions of the soundtrack are overly enhanced. The
    rest of the soundtrack that's not "dialled up" so to speak sounds weak
    in comparison. For example, I didn't have any trouble with the Tarkin
    lines, but the music seems oddly muted compared to the rest of the
    soundtrack (particularly points like when Luke and Leia do the rope
    swing.) I also noticed it in dialog and that it's inconsistently
    applied... a conversation between Leia and Han had Leias lines way too
    loud, Han sounded soft in comparison. Near the end of the conversation
    Leias lines reverted to normal.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Sep 23, 2004