    fight....did anyone notice the boxes around the Tie Fighters? The video
    presentation looks wonderful, but at that one scene, the video doesnt look
    so good. The boxes are very noticable (at least on my tv)

    TSKO, Sep 22, 2004

  2. TSKO

    Roy Guest

    Yep ... The boxes are there, but fortunately only in the scene you
    identified ...

    Otherwise ... Great imagery and audio ... Imho

    Tomorrow night epsisode V

    Roy

    Sony KV-35V36 (September 1997)

    Roy, Sep 22, 2004

  3. TSKO

    TSKO Guest

    I am with you on that(audio and video)....well...not literally....but
    tomorrow night....Empire...

    TSKO, Sep 22, 2004
  4. On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:14:10 GMT, "TSKO" <> wrote:

    >Okay, I am sorry if I dont know the technical word for this....but...in A
    >New Hope, right after they get off the Death Star and have the dog
    >fight....did anyone notice the boxes around the Tie Fighters? The video
    >presentation looks wonderful, but at that one scene, the video doesnt look
    >so good. The boxes are very noticable (at least on my tv)

    They've always been there.

    Dyuob Poltice, Sep 22, 2004
  5. TSKO

    luminos Guest

    "Dyuob Poltice" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:14:10 GMT, "TSKO" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Okay, I am sorry if I dont know the technical word for this....but...in A
    >>New Hope, right after they get off the Death Star and have the dog
    >>fight....did anyone notice the boxes around the Tie Fighters? The video
    >>presentation looks wonderful, but at that one scene, the video doesnt look
    >>so good. The boxes are very noticable (at least on my tv)
    >>

    > They've always been there.

    Yes...artifacts of the way the models were incorporated as special effects.

    luminos, Sep 22, 2004
  6. They are "garbage mattes" They are the crop offs of the rest of the blue
    screen shot of the particular ship that eliminates stage lights and
    other non bluescreen background.

    Depending on the way the film is transferred they can show more or less.
    Apparently the more precise black levels of the DVD's show them more.

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, Sep 22, 2004
  7. TSKO

    luminos Guest

    I have often wondered, with all of the digital processing at Lucasfilm, why
    these, of all things, could not be corrected.

    luminos, Sep 22, 2004
  8. Well, the purist in me is glad they didn't correct it. But yeah, I don't
    know why either.

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, Sep 22, 2004
  9. TSKO

    Galley Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:41:31 -0700, "luminos" <> spewed forth
    these words of wisdom:

    >I have often wondered, with all of the digital processing at Lucasfilm, why
    >these, of all things, could not be corrected.

    I noticed the matting problem in that scene right away. Digital retouching
    should've corrected it. :-(

    Galley

    Galley, Sep 22, 2004
  10. TSKO

    luminos Guest

    "Galley" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:41:31 -0700, "luminos" <> spewed
    > forth
    > these words of wisdom:
    >
    >>I have often wondered, with all of the digital processing at Lucasfilm,
    >>why
    >>these, of all things, could not be corrected.
    >>

    > I noticed the matting problem in that scene right away. Digital
    > retouching
    > should've corrected it. :-(
    >

    > --
    > "I'm not a cool person in real life, but I play one on the Internet"
    > Galley

    It is absolutely not new. It is very apparent in the laser disc releases,
    much less so in the VHS.

    I was simply surprised that this, of all things, was not corrected. It is,
    after all, a flaw of an outdated process and surely could have been
    enhanced.

    luminos, Sep 22, 2004
  11. TSKO

    Chris McCabe Guest

    they're even more prevalent in empire. at least, that's how it was on
    the vhs versions; whether or not the dvd is like that, i don't know.
    haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

    chrism

    Chris McCabe, Sep 22, 2004
  12. TSKO

    Big Gulp phl Guest

    plenty of garbage mattes throughout EMPIRE ;(

    Big Gulp phl, Sep 22, 2004
  13. TSKO

    zmike6 Guest

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:14:10 GMT, "TSKO" <> wrote:

    >Okay, I am sorry if I dont know the technical word for this....but...in A
    >New Hope, right after they get off the Death Star and have the dog
    >fight....did anyone notice the boxes around the Tie Fighters? The video
    >presentation looks wonderful, but at that one scene, the video doesnt look
    >so good. The boxes are very noticable (at least on my tv)

    Although I have the DVD set, I haven't quite gotten to that point.
    But I recall that "boxes" around ships was definitely a problem in ESB
    and ROTJ. I honestly know almost nothing about digital effects film
    editing, but I find it hard to believe that this problem could not
    have been fixed very easily. Hence my suspicion that these effects
    problems were left in deliberately (for future marketing purposes
    perhaps?). After all the CGI junk added to this series, how can they
    justify NOT fixing a *real* problem like this?

    zmike6, Sep 22, 2004
  14. TSKO

    Ronald Cole Guest

    "TSKO" <> writes:
    > Okay, I am sorry if I dont know the technical word for this....but...in A
    > New Hope, right after they get off the Death Star and have the dog
    > fight....did anyone notice the boxes around the Tie Fighters? The video
    > presentation looks wonderful, but at that one scene, the video doesnt look
    > so good. The boxes are very noticable (at least on my tv)

    That's a good indication that the black level on your monitor is set
    too high.

    Ronald Cole <> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

    Ronald Cole, Sep 22, 2004
  15. TSKO

    N2 Guest

    "TSKO" <> wrote in message
    > Okay, I am sorry if I dont know the technical word for this....but...in A
    > New Hope, right after they get off the Death Star and have the dog
    > fight....did anyone notice the boxes around the Tie Fighters? The video
    > presentation looks wonderful, but at that one scene, the video doesnt look
    > so good. The boxes are very noticable (at least on my tv)

    Yup, saw them. Other than deleted scenes NOT being included, this is my
    biggest gripe.

    N2, Sep 22, 2004
  16. TSKO

    TSKO Guest

    "N2" <> wrote in message

    > "TSKO" <> wrote in message
    >> Okay, I am sorry if I dont know the technical word for this....but...in A
    >> New Hope, right after they get off the Death Star and have the dog
    >> fight....did anyone notice the boxes around the Tie Fighters? The video
    >> presentation looks wonderful, but at that one scene, the video doesnt
    >> look
    >> so good. The boxes are very noticable (at least on my tv)
    >>

    > Yup, saw them. Other than deleted scenes NOT being included, this is my
    > biggest gripe.

    I guess I was a bit shocked to see them is why I was asking. With the video
    looking as good as it does (IMO), I just sort of thought this could have
    been easily corrected. OH well...

    TSKO, Sep 22, 2004
  17. TSKO

    Wade365 Guest

    Why does it suprise any of you? Seriously? I wouldn't piss on Lucas if he were
    on fire and his children were pleading with me to do it.

    Changing "THX1138" was the last straw. The man's a menace.

    Wade365, Sep 22, 2004
  18. TSKO

    TSKO Guest

    "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    > Why does it suprise any of you? Seriously? I wouldn't piss on Lucas if he
    > were
    > on fire and his children were pleading with me to do it.
    >
    > Changing "THX1138" was the last straw. The man's a menace.

    Actually, the contrast on my tv was set too high......so ole George didnt do
    anything this time.

    All is well...the movie looks great!!

    TSKO, Sep 22, 2004
  19. Dyuob Poltice <> writes:
    > On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:14:10 GMT, "TSKO" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Okay, I am sorry if I dont know the technical word for this....but...in A
    >>New Hope, right after they get off the Death Star and have the dog
    >>fight....did anyone notice the boxes around the Tie Fighters? The video
    >>presentation looks wonderful, but at that one scene, the video doesnt look
    >>so good. The boxes are very noticable (at least on my tv)

    > They've always been there.

    So they still haven't managed to fix them all... wow, now I'm impressed.
    (I presume we are talking about those old matte boxes around the space
    ships)

    --
    Paikka on varattu
    vali deille

    Pentti Lajunen, Sep 24, 2004
  20. "luminos" <> writes:
    > "Galley" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:41:31 -0700, "luminos" <> spewed
    >> forth
    >> these words of wisdom:
    >>
    >>>I have often wondered, with all of the digital processing at Lucasfilm,
    >>>why
    >>>these, of all things, could not be corrected.
    >>>

    >> I noticed the matting problem in that scene right away. Digital
    >> retouching
    >> should've corrected it. :-(
    >>

    > It is absolutely not new. It is very apparent in the laser disc releases,
    > much less so in the VHS.
    >
    > I was simply surprised that this, of all things, was not corrected. It is,
    > after all, a flaw of an outdated process and surely could have been
    > enhanced.

    Maybe its the way Lucas always intended it to be...

    --
    Paikka on varattu
    vali deille

    Pentti Lajunen, Sep 24, 2004