    (you listening paracrap) other series cost an average of $60 can. why can't
    paramount? xena season 3 I found for $55cad and its 9 disks.
    sorry for the rant but this really ticks me off.

    Timekill, Mar 3, 2004

  2. On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 23:05:09 -0500, Timekill wrote:

    > o.k. what gives?
    > Paramount has screwed us again! why oh why is season 1 of voyager $120.00
    > cad.?
    > with 15 episodes on 5 disks? but they still charge their full price on this
    > set anyway?
    > like they were not ripping us with the other sets of star trek, milking it
    > for what its worth is not a good idea. They lost my purchase on this series.
    > (you listening paracrap) other series cost an average of $60 can. why can't
    > paramount? xena season 3 I found for $55cad and its 9 disks.
    > sorry for the rant but this really ticks me off.

    If the quality is anything like the "Deep Space Nine" sets I'd say it's
    only worth $20.

    Erik N. Duvick, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Timekill

    Ronald Cole Guest

    "Erik N. Duvick" <> writes:
    > On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 23:05:09 -0500, Timekill wrote:
    >> o.k. what gives?
    >> Paramount has screwed us again! why oh why is season 1 of voyager $120.00
    >> cad.?
    >> with 15 episodes on 5 disks? but they still charge their full price on this
    >> set anyway?
    >> like they were not ripping us with the other sets of star trek, milking it
    >> for what its worth is not a good idea. They lost my purchase on this series.
    >> (you listening paracrap) other series cost an average of $60 can. why can't
    >> paramount? xena season 3 I found for $55cad and its 9 disks.
    >> sorry for the rant but this really ticks me off.

    > If the quality is anything like the "Deep Space Nine" sets I'd say it's
    > only worth $20.

    The compression Paramount used on DS9 DVDs was terrible: Klingon
    foreheads twitching and moving unnaturally sucks. My Japanese
    laserdisc box set doesn't have those problems!

    Ronald Cole <> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

    Ronald Cole, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Timekill

    Cernovog Guest

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:05:09 -0500, Timekill wrote
    (in message <JPc1c.1571$>):

    > Paramount has screwed us again! why oh why is season 1 of voyager $120.00
    > cad.?
    > with 15 episodes on 5 disks? but they still charge their full price on this
    > set anyway?

    Who cares about the number of episodes? If you take the quality of the
    writing into account, charging $20/season is a rip off!

    I guess they figure if you're a die-hard enough of a Trekkie to actually pay
    money for the entire run of this lousy excuse for a sci-fi series, then
    you'll grumble and moan all the way to the check out counter when they charge
    you full price.

    Cernovog, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Timekill

    Steve K. Guest

    Cernovog wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:05:09 -0500, Timekill wrote
    > (in message <JPc1c.1571$>):
    >

    >>Paramount has screwed us again! why oh why is season 1 of voyager $120.00
    >>cad.?
    >>with 15 episodes on 5 disks? but they still charge their full price on this
    >>set anyway?

    > Who cares about the number of episodes? If you take the quality of the
    > writing into account, charging $20/season is a rip off!
    >
    > I guess they figure if you're a die-hard enough of a Trekkie to actually pay
    > money for the entire run of this lousy excuse for a sci-fi series, then
    > you'll grumble and moan all the way to the check out counter when they charge
    > you full price.

    I just want the Animated Series. Wonder how much that will be?

    Steve K., Mar 4, 2004
  6. Timekill

    Cernovog Guest

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:29:21 -0500, Steve K. wrote
    (in message <lXH1c.18756$>):

    > I just want the Animated Series. Wonder how much that will be?

    Too early to tell at this point, but my guess would be that it would be
    similar to the price of the Transformers box sets. Maybe around $50/set or
    half the price of the live action Trek box sets.

    But I'm just guessing. They could very well be just as expensive as the live
    action Trek. It's Trek and it's Paramount. That's always a bad combination
    when it comes to money.

    Cernovog, Mar 4, 2004
  7. Timekill

    James Evans Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 15:29:21 GMT, "Steve K." <>
    wrote:

    >I just want the Animated Series.

    yep. . .me too.

    Wonder how much that will be?

    don't know. . .

    James Evans, Mar 5, 2004
  8. Timekill

    Richard Guest

    Cernovog <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:29:21 -0500, Steve K. wrote
    > (in message <lXH1c.18756$>):
    >
    > > I just want the Animated Series. Wonder how much that will be?

    > Too early to tell at this point, but my guess would be that it would be
    > similar to the price of the Transformers box sets. Maybe around $50/set or
    > half the price of the live action Trek box sets.
    >
    > But I'm just guessing. They could very well be just as expensive as the live
    > action Trek. It's Trek and it's Paramount. That's always a bad combination
    > when it comes to money.

    They charge what they know the majority of fans will pay. They know
    the cost calculations. If Xena were $120 a set, they'd sell around (eg.)
    5000. At $50 they'll sell 25000. But, with Star Trek, charging $120
    vesus $50 is undoubtedly a money maximizer since the fans will still buy
    it, so 200,000 will buy at $120 versus 250,000 at $50. Those set numbers
    are purely speculative, but that's not important, the ratios are.
    -Rich

    Richard, Mar 5, 2004
  9. On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:41:49 GMT, James Evans <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 15:29:21 GMT, "Steve K." <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>I just want the Animated Series.

    > yep. . .me too.
    >

    >Wonder how much that will be?

    I'm just glad I have the laserdisc boxed set. ;)

    --
    Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy.

    Scott in Aztlán, Mar 6, 2004
  10. Timekill

    Larry Gold Guest

    I have the animated series on 2 DVDs
    home made

    --
    Larry.gold
    Arsenal For Life

    Larry Gold, Mar 6, 2004
  11. Timekill

    kaboom Guest

    On 5 Mar 2004 14:13:32 -0800, (Richard) wrote:

    >Cernovog <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:29:21 -0500, Steve K. wrote
    >> (in message <lXH1c.18756$>):
    >>
    >> > I just want the Animated Series. Wonder how much that will be?

    >> Too early to tell at this point, but my guess would be that it would be
    >> similar to the price of the Transformers box sets. Maybe around $50/set or
    >> half the price of the live action Trek box sets.
    >>
    >> But I'm just guessing. They could very well be just as expensive as the live
    >> action Trek. It's Trek and it's Paramount. That's always a bad combination
    >> when it comes to money.

    >They charge what they know the majority of fans will pay. They know
    >the cost calculations. If Xena were $120 a set, they'd sell around (eg.)
    >5000. At $50 they'll sell 25000. But, with Star Trek, charging $120
    >vesus $50 is undoubtedly a money maximizer since the fans will still buy
    >it, so 200,000 will buy at $120 versus 250,000 at $50. Those set numbers
    >are purely speculative, but that's not important, the ratios are.

    **Hi Rich. Think about this too: Sure, they'll get me to dish out $100
    per Voyager season. However, I won't be buying TOS, TNG or DS9, even
    though I do want those although not as much. So, I made my choice to
    buy only Voyager. Yes, they'll make some money off of me but I think
    they kinda lost in the long run (at least in my case).

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Mar 6, 2004

    > >> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:29:21 -0500, Steve K. wrote
    > >> (in message <lXH1c.18756$>):

    > >> Too early to tell at this point, but my guess would be that it would be
    > >> similar to the price of the Transformers box sets. Maybe around $50/set

    or
    > >> half the price of the live action Trek box sets.
    > >>
    > >> But I'm just guessing. They could very well be just as expensive as the

    live
    > >> action Trek. It's Trek and it's Paramount. That's always a bad

    combination
    > >> when it comes to money.

    > >They charge what they know the majority of fans will pay. They know
    > >the cost calculations. If Xena were $120 a set, they'd sell around (eg.)
    > >5000. At $50 they'll sell 25000. But, with Star Trek, charging $120
    > >vesus $50 is undoubtedly a money maximizer since the fans will still buy
    > >it, so 200,000 will buy at $120 versus 250,000 at $50. Those set numbers
    > >are purely speculative, but that's not important, the ratios are.

    > **Hi Rich. Think about this too: Sure, they'll get me to dish out $100
    > per Voyager season. However, I won't be buying TOS, TNG or DS9, even
    > though I do want those although not as much. So, I made my choice to
    > buy only Voyager. Yes, they'll make some money off of me but I think
    > they kinda lost in the long run (at least in my case).
    >
    > kaboomie

    And I'm the opposite... I've bought all the movies, including the remakes.
    TOS, TNG and DS9 and am skipping Voyager.

    IMHO Voyager is the absolute worst series of the bunch.

    Deborah Proctor

    Deborah Proctor, Mar 6, 2004
  13. Timekill

    Mac Breck Guest

    "kaboom" <> wrote in message

    > Think about this too: Sure, they'll get me to dish out

    $100
    > per Voyager season. However, I won't be buying TOS, TNG or

    DS9, even
    > though I do want those although not as much. So, I made my

    choice to
    > buy only Voyager. Yes, they'll make some money off of me

    but I think
    > they kinda lost in the long run (at least in my case).
    >
    > kaboomie

    Well, I'm floored by that one, and agreeing 100% with
    Deborah Proctor's "IMHO Voyager is the absolute worst series
    of the bunch."

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
    -------------------------------

    Mac Breck, Mar 7, 2004
  14. Timekill

    Ronald Cole Guest

    Scott in Aztlán <> writes:
    > I'm just glad I have the laserdisc boxed set. ;)

    I made my own DVDs from my laserdisc boxed set. ;) Very nice quality,
    too. Probably better than what Paramount will slap together!

    Ronald Cole, Mar 7, 2004
  15. Timekill

    James Evans, Mar 7, 2004
  16. Timekill

    Cernovog Guest

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 21:35:11 -0500, Ronald Cole wrote
    (in message <-intl.com>):

    > I made my own DVDs from my laserdisc boxed set. ;) Very nice quality,
    > too. Probably better than what Paramount will slap together!

    I can't help but notice how funny it is that over in another thread, people
    are going into hysterics because some poor guy asked for help in making VHS
    backups of his DVDs. Meanwhile, you're making your DVDs from laserdisc.

    Better hide this post from the people over in the Macrovision thread.

    Cernovog, Mar 7, 2004
  17. Timekill

    Mac Breck Guest

    "Cernovog" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 21:35:11 -0500, Ronald Cole wrote
    > (in message <-intl.com>):
    >
    > > I made my own DVDs from my laserdisc boxed set. ;) Very

    nice quality,
    > > too. Probably better than what Paramount will slap

    together!

    > I can't help but notice how funny it is that over in

    another thread, people
    > are going into hysterics because some poor guy asked for

    help in
    > making VHS backups of his DVDs.

    Well, that *is* nuts, backing up to an old, wear prone,
    vastly inferior format.

    > Meanwhile, you're making your DVDs from laserdisc.

    Why? That's just backing up to a newer format that holds
    more and that's also not wear prone[1], and which should be
    able to hold all of the quality of the original. What's
    wrong with that (if the guy keeps his original LDs)? While
    technically, it may pose a "piracy" problem, why should the
    guy "have to" re-purchase the titles on DVD if he doesn't
    want to do so?

    [1] The same argument goes for backing up VHS to DVD.
    Nothing wrong with that either.

    Mac Breck, Mar 7, 2004
  18. Timekill

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Deborah Proctor <> wrote:

    > And I'm the opposite... I've bought all the movies, including the remakes.
    > TOS, TNG and DS9 and am skipping Voyager.
    >
    > IMHO Voyager is the absolute worst series of the bunch.

    Oooooh, no. Barring a dozen episodes, DS9 was pretty unwatchable for
    me...

    Peter Briggs, Mar 7, 2004
  19. Timekill

    Mac Breck Guest

    "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk>
    wrote in message
    > Deborah Proctor <> wrote:
    >
    > > And I'm the opposite... I've bought all the movies,

    including the remakes.
    > > TOS, TNG and DS9 and am skipping Voyager.
    > >
    > > IMHO Voyager is the absolute worst series of the bunch.

    > Oooooh, no. Barring a dozen episodes, DS9 was pretty

    unwatchable for
    > me...

    DS9 wasn't quite as unwatchable as Voyager, for me. I went
    from TOS to TNG to DS9, liked TNG better than DS9 (Got
    bored, and annoyed with the brats and Bajorans on DS9. Never
    could stomach watching all of it.), and went to Voyager
    (Ugh! Never could stomach watching all of it.), at which
    point I quit watching Trek until Enterprise came along. I'd
    say Enterprise is better than Voyager but not as good as
    DS9.

    Now, TNG doesn't look quite as good as it used to.

    Mac Breck, Mar 7, 2004
  20. Timekill

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Mac Breck <> wrote:

    > I'd say Enterprise is better than Voyager but not as good as
    > DS9.

    I enjoy "Enterprise" more than "Voyager", but I wish the writing and the
    plots in "Enterprise" were a little more interesting. It all seems a
    little...tired. I think firing replacing Berman and co, has as been,
    hinted, might be a move in the right direction.

    Peter Briggs, Mar 7, 2004