    Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar

    I use Win XP Professional. Intel

    Any other information needed please?

    Chaudhry Nijjhar, Aug 27, 2007

  2. Chaudhry Nijjhar

    Tester Guest

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:33:30 GMT, "Chaudhry Nijjhar"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I downloaded Star Office 8 but it would not allow my Word documents to open.
    >How could I have both the programmes please?

    Which version of Office are you using? What kind of Word files? Word
    2007 can use the older .doc files but it defaults to a new fangled
    ..docx file. I'm not sure if Star Office/ Open Office can handle .docx
    files although I think they're just zip files of xml files so someone
    MUST have written a converter.

    See if this does what you want. It converts docx to html (web)

    Tester, Aug 27, 2007

  3. Chaudhry Nijjhar

    Mike Easter Guest

    Tester wrote:
    > "Chaudhry Nijjhar"

    >> I downloaded Star Office 8 but it would not allow my Word documents
    >> to open. How could I have both the programmes please?

    > Which version of Office are you using? What kind of Word files? Word
    > 2007 can use the older .doc files but it defaults to a new fangled
    > .docx file.

    This excellent word processor review site discusses what is wrong with
    Word 2007
    http://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews/Archive/WordProcs/index_fullh.html

    .... and what is right with Star/Open Office and their doc formats.

    The default Word 2007 docs are in a proprietary nonstandard (for
    accepted values of standard) Open XML format. There is such a thing as
    a converter/translator for the MS OXML
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter OpenXML/ODF Translator
    Add-in for Office -- to allow for interoperability between applications
    based on ODF (OpenDocument) 1.0 standards and Microsoft OpenXML based
    Office applications.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 27, 2007
  4. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Tester wrote:
    >> "Chaudhry Nijjhar"

    >>> I downloaded Star Office 8 but it would not allow my Word documents
    >>> to open. How could I have both the programmes please?

    >> Which version of Office are you using? What kind of Word files? Word
    >> 2007 can use the older .doc files but it defaults to a new fangled
    >> .docx file.

    > This excellent word processor review site discusses what is wrong with
    > Word 2007
    > http://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews/Archive/WordProcs/index_fullh.html
    >
    > ... and what is right with Star/Open Office and their doc formats.
    >
    > The default Word 2007 docs are in a proprietary nonstandard (for
    > accepted values of standard) Open XML format. There is such a thing as
    > a converter/translator for the MS OXML
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter OpenXML/ODF Translator
    > Add-in for Office -- to allow for interoperability between applications
    > based on ODF (OpenDocument) 1.0 standards and Microsoft OpenXML based
    > Office applications.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thanks Mike. Let me try.

    Rajinder

    Chaudhry Nijjhar, Aug 27, 2007
  5. I could not open my old Word2000 documents. So, I had to remove the Star
    Office and then it worked.

    Rajinder

    Chaudhry Nijjhar, Aug 27, 2007
  6. Chaudhry Nijjhar

    Mike Easter Guest

    Chaudhry Nijjhar wrote:
    > I could not open my old Word2000 documents. So, I had to remove the
    > Star Office and then it worked.

    Word 2000 doc problems for Star Office is a different set of problems
    than Word 2007 problems.

    <snip> Chances are that OpenOffice.org Writer is the default program for
    Microsoft Word Documents (.doc) and Microsoft Word Templates (.dot)
    after installing OpenOffice.org.

    <snip> In most cases, the OpenOffice.org installer will give you the
    chance to select whether or not OpenOffice.org should open Microsoft
    Word Documents (including Templates) by default. Some users might have
    missed or ignored this screen during installation.

    <snip> If this is the case and you have the full version of Microsoft
    Word (97 or higher), you can easily restore Microsoft Word to open these
    documents without reinstalling or running the Detect and Repair tool.
    </snip> http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=22441 Quickly
    re-assign Microsoft Word to open Word Documents

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 28, 2007