    It was in hidden files in Win patrol cannot find any reference ti it in
    google or anywhere, any ideas please
    Glenn

    Jimbo, May 10, 2007

  2. Jimbo

    Guest

    , May 10, 2007

  3. Jimbo

    Plato Guest

    Jimbo wrote:

    > Looking through my files today, found one called
    > DA0FD6F9E1
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32
    > File size 56

    rename it and see what happens.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 10, 2007
  4. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Jimbo" <toytown.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Looking through my files today, found one called
    >>DA0FD6F9E1
    >>C:\WINDOWS\system32
    >>File size 56
    >>
    >>It was in hidden files in Win patrol cannot find any reference ti it in
    >>google or anywhere, any ideas please

    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/filealyzer/index.html
    > Install, right click on file, then FileAlyzer
    > --
    > Elderly woman killed by runaway truck tire, not a Goodyear for her.
    > http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=2794274

    Analysed it and got following report, doesnt mean a thing to me though

    File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DA0FD6F9E1.sys
    Date: 10/05/2007 20:13:43

    ***** General ******************************************************
    Location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\
    Size: 56
    Version:
    CRC-32: 9C167A45
    MD5: F05710CA7F1C22BE29E44B7969E8DDE5
    SHA1: EE9D34BDF2C10A269293EA54CFB251B8B622E3A1
    Read only: Yes
    Hidden: Yes
    System file: Yes
    Directory: No
    Archive: No
    Symbolic link: No
    Time stamp: 15 February 2006 08:38:08
    Creation: 11 January 2006 22:52:14
    Last access: 20 July 2006 07:24:56
    Last write: 15 February 2006 08:38:08

    Glenn

    Jimbo, May 10, 2007
  5. Jimbo

    Guest

    "Jimbo" <toytown.com> wrote:

    >Analysed it and got following report, doesnt mean a thing to me though
    >

    >File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DA0FD6F9E1.sys
    >Date: 10/05/2007 20:13:43
    >

    >***** General ******************************************************
    > Location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\
    > Size: 56
    > Version:
    > CRC-32: 9C167A45
    > MD5: F05710CA7F1C22BE29E44B7969E8DDE5
    > SHA1: EE9D34BDF2C10A269293EA54CFB251B8B622E3A1

    Doesn't do anybody any good.

    Most files give more info, like the version.

    Right click on it, properties, version, google what you find, rename
    or delete if it's blank, or the option isn't available

    Open it with a decent text editor, and read the text strings. (notepad
    won't do it).

    --
    Elderly woman killed by runaway truck tire, not a Goodyear for her.
    http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=2794274

    , May 10, 2007
  6. Jimbo

    Zombie Guest

    "Jimbo" <toytown.com> wrote in message

    > Analysed it and got following report, doesnt mean a thing to me though
    >

    > File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DA0FD6F9E1.sys
    > Date: 10/05/2007 20:13:43

    Well.......
    MD5 and SHA-1 are "Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol (CHAP) for
    Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) authentication" for authentification when
    connecting
    to a server, both entries below indicate the handshake was accepted?
    The times/dates below I think correlate to the installation and online
    registration
    of software and a subsequent download of an update for that software?
    Anyway, it looks legit.

    Zombie, May 10, 2007
  7. Jimbo

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 20:35:04 +0100, Zombie wrote:

    >"Jimbo" <toytown.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Analysed it and got following report, doesnt mean a thing to me though
    >>

    >> File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DA0FD6F9E1.sys
    >> Date: 10/05/2007 20:13:43
    >>

    >Well.......
    >MD5 and SHA-1 are "Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol (CHAP) for

    Where did CHAP arrive in this?

    MD5 / SHA-1 and CRC-32 are methods of calculating checksums.

    >Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) authentication" for authentification when
    >connecting
    >to a server, both entries below indicate the handshake was accepted?

    At least you put a '?' above.

    >The times/dates below I think correlate to the installation and online
    >registration
    >of software and a subsequent download of an update for that software?

    The .sys file? What software?

    >Anyway, it looks legit.

    Why? Have you seen the original file?

    The report says nothing much.

    >> ***** General ******************************************************
    >> Location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\
    >> Size: 56
    >> Version:
    >> CRC-32: 9C167A45
    >> MD5: F05710CA7F1C22BE29E44B7969E8DDE5
    >> SHA1: EE9D34BDF2C10A269293EA54CFB251B8B622E3A1

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, May 10, 2007
  8. Jimbo

    Guest

    wrote:

    >Open it with a decent text editor, and read the text strings. (notepad
    >won't do it).

    My bad, FileAlyzer has a hex dump, look for key words - google what
    you find.
    --
    Paperback Writer
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=nmF7wb2pIiM

    , May 11, 2007
  9. Jimbo

    thanatoid Guest

    "Jimbo" <toytown.com> wrote in

    > Looking through my files today, found one called
    > DA0FD6F9E1
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32
    > File size 56
    >
    > It was in hidden files in Win patrol cannot find any
    > reference ti it in google or anywhere, any ideas please
    > Glenn

    Some programs create files like that (I assume 56 means 56bytes
    not MB or KB - I see you omitted the extension of the file which
    can make a LOT of difference) as placeholders for when it was
    installed or last run (or first) run.

    In MOST cases a 56 byte file can not do much harm (M O S T
    cases, OK?)
    but when I find a file of ANY size that I can not identify, I
    just move it to a "weird files" directory on another drive and
    wait and see what happens. Usually nothing happens. If I run
    across it a few years later, I delete it.

    If, as IS theoretically possible, something won't run without
    that file, just put it back. Might also check occasionally to
    see if a similar file isn't created again by some program when
    you run it. I don't know why they do it but some do.

    thanatoid, May 11, 2007