    laptop -- is it the same as a desktop in terms of wear and tear and is it
    significant)?

    Mel
    MZB, Feb 28, 2006

  2. MZB

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:wk1Nf.133$,
    MZB spewed forth:
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
    >
    > I use it quite a bit (6-10 hours per day).
    >
    > At times I am not using it for say 20 minutes to 3 hours.
    >
    > I usually shut it down. If I am only going to be away for say 15
    > minutes or so, I use standby.
    >
    > Is there any rule of thumb as to which mode to use (standby versus
    > shutdown)?? I'm not worried about anyone else using my machine and
    > generally all files are saved before I leave the computer.
    >
    > So it may come down to saving battery power versus increased wear and
    > tear for shutdown (and I'm not sure if there is a lot of wear and
    > tear booting my laptop -- is it the same as a desktop in terms of
    > wear and tear and is it significant)?
    >
    > Mel

    My recommendations:

    Are you using it on batteries? Then shutdown saves batteries more
    effectively. Actually, I'd do a hibernate. It restarts much faster.

    If you're on AC, then use standby even for the long stretches of inactivity.
    That prevents cycling the system totally on and off.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 28, 2006

  3. MZB

    john Guest

    Whatever you decide have in mind that there is a hibernation mode also...

    --
    Disclaimer: This info is given "as is".
    If you do not like the content or attitude of my posts,

    john, Feb 28, 2006
  4. MZB

    Senti Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:wk1Nf.133$,
    > MZB spewed forth:
    >
    >>I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
    >>
    >>I use it quite a bit (6-10 hours per day).
    >>
    >>At times I am not using it for say 20 minutes to 3 hours.
    >>
    >>I usually shut it down. If I am only going to be away for say 15
    >>minutes or so, I use standby.
    >>
    >>Is there any rule of thumb as to which mode to use (standby versus
    >>shutdown)?? I'm not worried about anyone else using my machine and
    >>generally all files are saved before I leave the computer.
    >>
    >>So it may come down to saving battery power versus increased wear and
    >>tear for shutdown (and I'm not sure if there is a lot of wear and
    >>tear booting my laptop -- is it the same as a desktop in terms of
    >>wear and tear and is it significant)?
    >>
    >>Mel

    > My recommendations:
    >
    > Are you using it on batteries? Then shutdown saves batteries more
    > effectively. Actually, I'd do a hibernate. It restarts much faster.
    >
    > If you're on AC, then use standby even for the long stretches of inactivity.
    > That prevents cycling the system totally on and off.

    I concur.

    ~SF
    Senti, Feb 28, 2006