    Thank you

    Geopelia

    XP, Service pack 3, Outlook Express.

    Geopelia, Oct 7, 2010

  2. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <i8j8ok$pa0$-september.org>,
    says...

    > The service Microsoft.NETframeworkv11.4322 is preventing entering Standby.
    > So the message says.
    > I've no idea what I could have done to cause this.
    >
    > What do I click please? No problem, but I have to turn off the computer and
    > turn it on again. Standby was useful.
    > If it's complicated I will have to ignore it.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Geopelia
    >
    > XP, Service pack 3, Outlook Express.

    It is most likely that it has not finished updating - I make that
    assumption because you are on dialup, and it's a big update.

    I would restart the PC (that'll probably fix the problem on its own) -
    and then run Windows Update (Start, (All) Programs, Windows Update) -
    and check you are fully up-to-date with all critical updates. If not,
    get 'em on! - they're important.

    If you require (or "re-require") the .NET 1.1 update, it's gonna take a
    while to download for you.

    Time to re-consider a cheap broadband connection maybe? The web (the
    internet in general) is not very dial-up user friendly anymore! :)

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 7, 2010

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <i8j8ok$pa0$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> The service Microsoft.NETframeworkv11.4322 is preventing entering
    >> Standby.
    >> So the message says.
    >> I've no idea what I could have done to cause this.
    >>
    >> What do I click please? No problem, but I have to turn off the computer
    >> and
    >> turn it on again. Standby was useful.
    >> If it's complicated I will have to ignore it.
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>
    >> XP, Service pack 3, Outlook Express.

    > It is most likely that it has not finished updating - I make that
    > assumption because you are on dialup, and it's a big update.
    >
    > I would restart the PC (that'll probably fix the problem on its own) -
    > and then run Windows Update (Start, (All) Programs, Windows Update) -
    > and check you are fully up-to-date with all critical updates. If not,
    > get 'em on! - they're important.
    >
    > If you require (or "re-require") the .NET 1.1 update, it's gonna take a
    > while to download for you.
    >
    > Time to re-consider a cheap broadband connection maybe? The web (the
    > internet in general) is not very dial-up user friendly anymore! :)

    Thanks, I'll try that now. There were three big Microsoft updates yesterday.

    Geopelia, Oct 7, 2010
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <i8j8ok$pa0$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> The service Microsoft.NETframeworkv11.4322 is preventing entering
    >> Standby.
    >> So the message says.
    >> I've no idea what I could have done to cause this.
    >>
    >> What do I click please? No problem, but I have to turn off the computer
    >> and
    >> turn it on again. Standby was useful.
    >> If it's complicated I will have to ignore it.
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>
    >> XP, Service pack 3, Outlook Express.

    > It is most likely that it has not finished updating - I make that
    > assumption because you are on dialup, and it's a big update.
    >
    > I would restart the PC (that'll probably fix the problem on its own) -
    > and then run Windows Update (Start, (All) Programs, Windows Update) -
    > and check you are fully up-to-date with all critical updates. If not,
    > get 'em on! - they're important.
    >
    > If you require (or "re-require") the .NET 1.1 update, it's gonna take a
    > while to download for you.
    >
    > Time to re-consider a cheap broadband connection maybe? The web (the
    > internet in general) is not very dial-up user friendly anymore! :)

    I tried that and I have all the critical updates (Express). There are some
    optional ones, but I don't know if any are for this computer. I don't
    usually get the optionals. (Custom).

    I've seen the Update history, it looks like KB2416447 Framework 1.1SP1 on
    windows XP etc.Would that be right?
    It has succeeded, according to the Update history.
    So have the other two updates yesterday.

    It's only since I did those updates that the message has been appearing. Is
    something incompatible?
    Should I install that update again? How would I do that please?

    All the Broadband plans look too expensive on the pension. At present I'm
    paying around $20 a month for any time between 11pm and 5 pm on Xtra dial
    up. (We usually have the TV on between 5 and 11 anyway.)
    We would be saving that on postage to Britain to our relatives.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Oct 7, 2010
  5. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <i8k7hq$mrp$-september.org>,
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <i8j8ok$pa0$-september.org>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> The service Microsoft.NETframeworkv11.4322 is preventing entering
    > >> Standby.
    > >> So the message says.
    > >> I've no idea what I could have done to cause this.
    > >>
    > >> What do I click please? No problem, but I have to turn off the computer
    > >> and
    > >> turn it on again. Standby was useful.
    > >> If it's complicated I will have to ignore it.
    > >>
    > >> Thank you
    > >>
    > >> Geopelia
    > >>
    > >> XP, Service pack 3, Outlook Express.

    > > It is most likely that it has not finished updating - I make that
    > > assumption because you are on dialup, and it's a big update.
    > >
    > > I would restart the PC (that'll probably fix the problem on its own) -
    > > and then run Windows Update (Start, (All) Programs, Windows Update) -
    > > and check you are fully up-to-date with all critical updates. If not,
    > > get 'em on! - they're important.
    > >
    > > If you require (or "re-require") the .NET 1.1 update, it's gonna take a
    > > while to download for you.
    > >
    > > Time to re-consider a cheap broadband connection maybe? The web (the
    > > internet in general) is not very dial-up user friendly anymore! :)
    > >

    > I tried that and I have all the critical updates (Express). There are some
    > optional ones, but I don't know if any are for this computer. I don't
    > usually get the optionals. (Custom).

    All the updates listed are for "your" computer! The optional ones are
    just that - optional. (The dotnet framework should be optional).

    > I've seen the Update history, it looks like KB2416447 Framework 1.1SP1 on
    > windows XP etc.Would that be right?

    Yes.

    > It has succeeded, according to the Update history.
    > So have the other two updates yesterday.
    >
    > It's only since I did those updates that the message has been appearing. Is
    > something incompatible?
    > Should I install that update again? How would I do that please?

    Does the problem still exist?

    If so, yes you can remove the DN framemwork - it's in Start, Control
    Panel, Add or Remove PRograms. (It will be listed under 'm' fer
    Microsoft - "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1"). Click on the entry, and
    then the Change/Remove button and follow your nose to remove (uninstall)
    it.

    I would just leave things that way. If you are running some other
    application software that used the .NET 1.1 framework, it'll probably
    let you know! :) (when you try and run it).

    So if you need to re-install it (as said, don't bother unless one of
    your other installed programs complains it's now missing) - do so via
    Windows Update (and select it in the Optional stuff to install).

    Once installed, it may want to reboot - if not, reboot anyway. Now go
    back to Windows Update again, and you'll find a critical update is ready
    to download and install (for the .NET 1.1 Framework). So do that too.
    Hopefully, it'll be all go this time round.

    But as said, I would not bother to re-install it - unless some other
    application requires it. (It'll let yer know :)

    > All the Broadband plans look too expensive on the pension. At present I'm
    > paying around $20 a month for any time between 11pm and 5 pm on Xtra dial
    > up. (We usually have the TV on between 5 and 11 anyway.)
    > We would be saving that on postage to Britain to our relatives.

    Jeez, is KOL still around? Unlimited dialup for $9.95/month. Telecom
    sounds like pretty expensive dialup to me.

    http://www.kol.co.nz

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 7, 2010
  6. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    says...

> [...]

    > Windows Update (and select it in the Optional stuff to install).
    >
    > Once installed, it may want to reboot - if not, reboot anyway. Now go
    > back to Windows Update again, and you'll find a critical update is ready
    > to download and install (for the .NET 1.1 Framework). So do that too.
    > Hopefully, it'll be all go this time round.
    >
    > But as said, I would not bother to re-install it - unless some other
    > application requires it. (It'll let yer know :)
    >

    > > All the Broadband plans look too expensive on the pension. At present I'm
    > > paying around $20 a month for any time between 11pm and 5 pm on Xtra dial
    > > up. (We usually have the TV on between 5 and 11 anyway.)
    > > We would be saving that on postage to Britain to our relatives.

    > Jeez, is KOL still around? Unlimited dialup for $9.95/month. Telecom
    > sounds like pretty expensive dialup to me.

    PS: if you do need to re-install, or just want to - here's some direct
    links to the .NET Framework 1.1 ...

    1.1 install...
    http://tinyurl.com/2wle4cp

    1.1 SP1 update install...
    http://tinyurl.com/2auso4f

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 7, 2010
  7. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> In article <i8k7hq$mrp$-september.org>,
    >> says...
    >> >
    >> > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    >> > I tried that and I have all the critical updates (Express). There are
    >> > some
    >> > optional ones, but I don't know if any are for this computer. I don't
    >> > usually get the optionals. (Custom).

    >> All the updates listed are for "your" computer! The optional ones are
    >> just that - optional. (The dotnet framework should be optional).
    >>

    >> > I've seen the Update history, it looks like KB2416447 Framework 1.1SP1
    >> > on
    >> > windows XP etc.Would that be right?

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> > It has succeeded, according to the Update history.
    >> > So have the other two updates yesterday.
    >> >
    >> > It's only since I did those updates that the message has been
    >> > appearing. Is
    >> > something incompatible?
    >> > Should I install that update again? How would I do that please?

    >> Does the problem still exist?
    >>
    >> If so, yes you can remove the DN framemwork - it's in Start, Control
    >> Panel, Add or Remove PRograms. (It will be listed under 'm' fer
    >> Microsoft - "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1"). Click on the entry, and
    >> then the Change/Remove button and follow your nose to remove (uninstall)
    >> it.
    >>
    >> I would just leave things that way. If you are running some other
    >> application software that used the .NET 1.1 framework, it'll probably
    >> let you know! :) (when you try and run it).
    >>
    >> So if you need to re-install it (as said, don't bother unless one of
    >> your other installed programs complains it's now missing) - do so via
    >> Windows Update (and select it in the Optional stuff to install).
    >>
    >> Once installed, it may want to reboot - if not, reboot anyway. Now go
    >> back to Windows Update again, and you'll find a critical update is ready
    >> to download and install (for the .NET 1.1 Framework). So do that too.
    >> Hopefully, it'll be all go this time round.
    >>
    >> But as said, I would not bother to re-install it - unless some other
    >> application requires it. (It'll let yer know :)
    >>

    >> > All the Broadband plans look too expensive on the pension. At present
    >> > I'm
    >> > paying around $20 a month for any time between 11pm and 5 pm on Xtra
    >> > dial
    >> > up. (We usually have the TV on between 5 and 11 anyway.)
    >> > We would be saving that on postage to Britain to our relatives.

    >> Jeez, is KOL still around? Unlimited dialup for $9.95/month. Telecom
    >> sounds like pretty expensive dialup to me.
    >>
    >> http://www.kol.co.nz

    > PS: if you do need to re-install, or just want to - here's some direct
    > links to the .NET Framework 1.1 ...
    >
    > 1.1 install...
    > http://tinyurl.com/2wle4cp
    >
    > 1.1 SP1 update install...
    > http://tinyurl.com/2auso4f

    Thank you. I'll try that tomorrow, it's too late tonight.

    We've got everything with Telecom just now. If we change to Broadband I'll
    see if anyone is cheaper.

    Your help is much appreciated.
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Oct 7, 2010
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <-september.org>,
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> In article <i8k7hq$mrp$-september.org>,
    >>> says...

    >>> All the updates listed are for "your" computer! The optional ones are
    >>> just that - optional. (The dotnet framework should be optional).

    >>> Yes.

    >>> Does the problem still exist?
    >>>
    >>> If so, yes you can remove the DN framemwork - it's in Start, Control
    >>> Panel, Add or Remove PRograms. (It will be listed under 'm' fer
    >>> Microsoft - "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1"). Click on the entry, and
    >>> then the Change/Remove button and follow your nose to remove (uninstall)
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> I would just leave things that way. If you are running some other
    >>> application software that used the .NET 1.1 framework, it'll probably
    >>> let you know! :) (when you try and run it).
    >>>
    >>> So if you need to re-install it (as said, don't bother unless one of
    >>> your other installed programs complains it's now missing) - do so via
    >>> Windows Update (and select it in the Optional stuff to install).
    >>>
    >>> Once installed, it may want to reboot - if not, reboot anyway. Now go
    >>> back to Windows Update again, and you'll find a critical update is ready
    >>> to download and install (for the .NET 1.1 Framework). So do that too.
    >>> Hopefully, it'll be all go this time round.
    >>>
    >>> But as said, I would not bother to re-install it - unless some other
    >>> application requires it. (It'll let yer know :)

    >>> Jeez, is KOL still around? Unlimited dialup for $9.95/month. Telecom
    >>> sounds like pretty expensive dialup to me.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.kol.co.nz

    >> PS: if you do need to re-install, or just want to - here's some direct
    >> links to the .NET Framework 1.1 ...
    >>
    >> 1.1 install...
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2wle4cp
    >>
    >> 1.1 SP1 update install...
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2auso4f
    >>

    > Thank you. I'll try that tomorrow, it's too late tonight.
    >
    > We've got everything with Telecom just now. If we change to Broadband I'll
    > see if anyone is cheaper.
    >
    > Your help is much appreciated.
    > Geopelia

    Thank you, I just did that and the problem has gone.

    Geopelia, Oct 7, 2010