    It's certainly very fast on Broadband!

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 30, 2011

  2. In message <imv0mj$v11$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > I've got Broadband now.

    How does it connect to your PC? Via USB or Ethernet?

    (USB is a rectangular connector you can just push in and pull out, Ethernet
    is a plastic connector with a spring catch on it.)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 30, 2011

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <imv0mj$v11$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> I've got Broadband now.

    > How does it connect to your PC? Via USB or Ethernet?
    >
    > (USB is a rectangular connector you can just push in and pull out,
    > Ethernet
    > is a plastic connector with a spring catch on it.)

    I don't know, Telecom's man connected it. There is a little box with green
    lights on it sitting on top of the computer.
    He also changed the jackpoint.

    Geopelia, Mar 30, 2011
  4. In message <imv52l$hp4$>, Geopelia wrote:

    >> In message <imv0mj$v11$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've got Broadband now.

    >> How does it connect to your PC? Via USB or Ethernet?
    >>
    >> (USB is a rectangular connector you can just push in and pull out,
    >> Ethernet is a plastic connector with a spring catch on it.)

    > I don't know, Telecom's man connected it. There is a little box with green
    > lights on it sitting on top of the computer.

    Have a look at the wire running between it and the computer.

    > He also changed the jackpoint.

    Did he install any filters on your phone connections? That’s to keep the
    broadband signal from interfering with voice calls.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 30, 2011
  5. Geopelia

    PeeCee Guest

    On 30/03/2011 11:29 p.m., Geopelia wrote:
    > I've got Broadband now. I used to use Standby a lot, from "standby turn off
    > restart", but it seems different on Broadband.
    > It kept flashing "entering sleep mode" at intervals. It used to show that
    > only once, on dial up.
    > So I turned it off instead.
    >
    > Can it be left on standby, or does it have to be turned off?
    > What do I click please?
    >
    > Windows XP, Telecom Broadband.
    >
    > It's certainly very fast on Broadband!
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    Geopelia

    What do you mean by "Standby turn off" ?

    "it seems different on Broadband"
    What is "it" ?

    "can it be left on Standby"
    Do you mean the PC or the Broadband Modem?

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 31, 2011
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >>In message <imv52l$hp4$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>> message

    >>> I don't know, Telecom's man connected it. There is a little box with
    >>> green
    >>> lights on it sitting on top of the computer.

    >>Have a look at the wire running between it and the computer.
    >>
    >>> He also changed the jackpoint.

    >>Did he install any filters on your phone connections? Thatâ?Ts to keep the
    >>broadband signal from interfering with voice calls.

    > Lawrence
    > I believe Geopelia has a St John's alarm. That means the installer should
    > have
    > installed a special socket for the DSL connection that goes back to the
    > boundary box (probably using spare pairs in the existing cable), ensuring
    > that
    > the alarm takes precedence over any other use of the phone line (same as
    > for
    > burglar alarms). In that case filters are probably not necessary.
    > Tony

    I'm not sure what he did, but he came to see to St John's alarm, among other
    things. He's added stuff to the jackpoint.
    I received a parcel by courier which I left for him to open, containing
    various parts.

    The line from the new small box to the computer has a thicker white cable
    with a yellow end. It has a plastic bit connecting it to the computer like
    the plastic ends of things that go into the jackpoint. There is a sort of
    small plastic clip on it. Is that Ethernet?
    The other wire, a black one, from the new box has a plug which goes into
    what I think is called a surge protector. Several things are plugged into
    that.

    The box on top of the computer has five green lights that stay on all the
    time. Would that have filters in it?
    There is also a silver wire from the little box but I can't find the other
    end of it.

    Sorry, but I don't know the technical terms for the extra bits.

    He would have known what he was doing, as everything is working very well. I
    just find Standby has changed and wondered if I should do something besides
    clicking Standby. It doesn't seem to get past "entering sleep mode" now,
    which keeps appearing. Perhaps it is supposed to do that?

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 31, 2011
  7. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-03-31, Geopelia <> wrote:

    > I'm not sure what he did, but he came to see to St John's alarm, among other
    > things. He's added stuff to the jackpoint.
    > I received a parcel by courier which I left for him to open, containing
    > various parts.
    >
    > The line from the new small box to the computer has a thicker white cable
    > with a yellow end. It has a plastic bit connecting it to the computer like
    > the plastic ends of things that go into the jackpoint. There is a sort of
    > small plastic clip on it. Is that Ethernet?

    Certainly sounds like it. The plug is squareish in cross section.

    > The other wire, a black one, from the new box has a plug which goes into
    > what I think is called a surge protector. Several things are plugged into
    > that.
    >
    > The box on top of the computer has five green lights that stay on all the
    > time. Would that have filters in it?
    > There is also a silver wire from the little box but I can't find the other
    > end of it.
    >
    > Sorry, but I don't know the technical terms for the extra bits.
    >
    > He would have known what he was doing, as everything is working very well. I
    > just find Standby has changed and wondered if I should do something besides
    > clicking Standby. It doesn't seem to get past "entering sleep mode" now,
    > which keeps appearing. Perhaps it is supposed to do that?

    The computer probably can not get to sleep because it keeps interacting with
    the modem ( the new box with lights on it).

    Gordon, Mar 31, 2011
  8. In message <in10fo$ics$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > The line from the new small box to the computer has a thicker white cable
    > with a yellow end. It has a plastic bit connecting it to the computer like
    > the plastic ends of things that go into the jackpoint. There is a sort of
    > small plastic clip on it. Is that Ethernet?

    Sounds like it.

    > The other wire, a black one, from the new box has a plug which goes into
    > what I think is called a surge protector. Several things are plugged into
    > that.

    What are they?

    > The box on top of the computer has five green lights that stay on all the
    > time. Would that have filters in it?

    No, the computer side doesn’t need the filters—the phone does.

    > I just find Standby has changed and wondered if I should do something
    > besides clicking Standby. It doesn't seem to get past "entering sleep
    > mode" now, which keeps appearing. Perhaps it is supposed to do that?

    I wonder if you have something in either your OS or BIOS settings saying
    “wake on LANâ€. You’ve never been on a LAN before, so you’ve never noticed.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2011
  9. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 31/03/11 11:51, Tony wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro<_zealand> wrote:
    >> In message<imv52l$hp4$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro"<_zealand> wrote in
    >>> message news:imv3fn$np3$...

    >>> I don't know, Telecom's man connected it. There is a little box
    >>> with green lights on it sitting on top of the computer.

    >> Have a look at the wire running between it and the computer.
    >>
    >>> He also changed the jackpoint.

    >> Did he install any filters on your phone connections? That's to
    >> keep the broadband signal from interfering with voice calls.

    > Lawrence I believe Geopelia has a St John's alarm. That means the
    > installer should have installed a special socket for the DSL
    > connection that goes back to the boundary box (probably using spare
    > pairs in the existing cable), ensuring that the alarm takes
    > precedence over any other use of the phone line (same as for burglar
    > alarms). In that case filters are probably not necessary.

    Yep, that is the way it used to be back when broadband was young. We
    have a 'splitter' at the boundary box and one socket is used for ADSL
    and the others can be used for phones without using filters. It has its
    positives and its negatives.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Mar 31, 2011
  10. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 31/03/11 17:38, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Tony"<lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro<_zealand> wrote:

    >>> Have a look at the wire running between it and the computer.

    >>> Did he install any filters on your phone connections? Thatâ?Ts to keep the
    >>> broadband signal from interfering with voice calls.

    >> Lawrence
    >> I believe Geopelia has a St John's alarm. That means the installer should
    >> have
    >> installed a special socket for the DSL connection that goes back to the
    >> boundary box (probably using spare pairs in the existing cable), ensuring
    >> that
    >> the alarm takes precedence over any other use of the phone line (same as
    >> for
    >> burglar alarms). In that case filters are probably not necessary.
    >> Tony

    > I'm not sure what he did, but he came to see to St John's alarm, among other
    > things. He's added stuff to the jackpoint.
    > I received a parcel by courier which I left for him to open, containing
    > various parts.
    >
    > The line from the new small box to the computer has a thicker white cable
    > with a yellow end. It has a plastic bit connecting it to the computer like
    > the plastic ends of things that go into the jackpoint. There is a sort of
    > small plastic clip on it. Is that Ethernet?

    It sounds very much like the Ethernet.

    Enkidu, Mar 31, 2011
  11. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 31/03/11 18:30, Tony wrote:
    > "Geopelia"<> wrote:
    >> "Tony"<lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message

    >>> Lawrence
    >>> I believe Geopelia has a St John's alarm. That means the installer should
    >>> have
    >>> installed a special socket for the DSL connection that goes back to the
    >>> boundary box (probably using spare pairs in the existing cable), ensuring
    >>> that
    >>> the alarm takes precedence over any other use of the phone line (same as
    >>> for
    >>> burglar alarms). In that case filters are probably not necessary.
    >>> Tony
    >>>

    >> I'm not sure what he did, but he came to see to St John's alarm, among other
    >> things. He's added stuff to the jackpoint.
    >> I received a parcel by courier which I left for him to open, containing
    >> various parts.
    >>
    >> The line from the new small box to the computer has a thicker white cable
    >> with a yellow end. It has a plastic bit connecting it to the computer like
    >> the plastic ends of things that go into the jackpoint. There is a sort of
    >> small plastic clip on it. Is that Ethernet?
    >> The other wire, a black one, from the new box has a plug which goes into
    >> what I think is called a surge protector. Several things are plugged into
    >> that.
    >>
    >> The box on top of the computer has five green lights that stay on all the
    >> time. Would that have filters in it?
    >> There is also a silver wire from the little box but I can't find the other
    >> end of it.
    >>
    >> Sorry, but I don't know the technical terms for the extra bits.
    >>
    >> He would have known what he was doing, as everything is working very well. I
    >> just find Standby has changed and wondered if I should do something besides
    >> clicking Standby. It doesn't seem to get past "entering sleep mode" now,
    >> which keeps appearing. Perhaps it is supposed to do that?
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Geopelia

    > Geopelia
    > See Gordon's reply, he could well be correct.
    > Perhaps turn turn the modem (your new little box) off, there is usually a small
    > push button switch at the rear, when you try to go into standby.
    > Alternatively, turn your computer off and turn it back on when you need to use
    > it.

    I would not turn the modem off. The big advantage of having broadband is
    the ability to be always connected. I just shut my computer down. When I
    start the computer up I am instantly connected.

    Enkidu, Mar 31, 2011
  12. In message <>, Crash McBash wrote:

    > It is very difficult to believe the installation of broadband hardware
    > would have had any effect on how your PC works with this.

    Perfectly possible—see my other posting.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2011
  13. On , , 31 Mar 2011 04:52:11 GMT, Re: Standby on Broadband, Gordon
    <> wrote:

    >On 2011-03-31, Geopelia <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm not sure what he did, but he came to see to St John's alarm, among other
    >> things. He's added stuff to the jackpoint.
    >> I received a parcel by courier which I left for him to open, containing
    >> various parts.
    >>
    >> The line from the new small box to the computer has a thicker white cable
    >> with a yellow end. It has a plastic bit connecting it to the computer like
    >> the plastic ends of things that go into the jackpoint. There is a sort of
    >> small plastic clip on it. Is that Ethernet?

    >Certainly sounds like it. The plug is squareish in cross section.

    Nope, that is the phone line. The plug is similar in shape to the ethernet plug
    but smaller.

    >> The other wire, a black one, from the new box has a plug which goes into
    >> what I think is called a surge protector. Several things are plugged into
    >> that.

    That is the line filter. One cable goes to the phone, the other goes to the
    broadband modem. The broadband modem has a cable that goes to the ethernet
    socket on the computer or a cable that plugs into a USB socket on the computer.

    >> The box on top of the computer has five green lights that stay on all the
    >> time. Would that have filters in it?
    >> There is also a silver wire from the little box but I can't find the other
    >> end of it.
    >>
    >> Sorry, but I don't know the technical terms for the extra bits.
    >>
    >> He would have known what he was doing, as everything is working very well. I
    >> just find Standby has changed and wondered if I should do something besides
    >> clicking Standby. It doesn't seem to get past "entering sleep mode" now,
    >> which keeps appearing. Perhaps it is supposed to do that?

    >The computer probably can not get to sleep because it keeps interacting with
    >the modem ( the new box with lights on it).

    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.

    Mgsr. Scooter, Mar 31, 2011
  14. Geopelia

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >>"Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message

    >>> Lawrence
    >>> I believe Geopelia has a St John's alarm. That means the installer
    >>> should
    >>> have
    >>> installed a special socket for the DSL connection that goes back to the
    >>> boundary box (probably using spare pairs in the existing cable),
    >>> ensuring
    >>> that
    >>> the alarm takes precedence over any other use of the phone line (same as
    >>> for
    >>> burglar alarms). In that case filters are probably not necessary.
    >>> Tony
    >>>

    >>I'm not sure what he did, but he came to see to St John's alarm, among
    >>other
    >>things. He's added stuff to the jackpoint.
    >>I received a parcel by courier which I left for him to open, containing
    >>various parts.
    >>
    >>The line from the new small box to the computer has a thicker white cable
    >>with a yellow end. It has a plastic bit connecting it to the computer like
    >>the plastic ends of things that go into the jackpoint. There is a sort of
    >>small plastic clip on it. Is that Ethernet?
    >>The other wire, a black one, from the new box has a plug which goes into
    >>what I think is called a surge protector. Several things are plugged into
    >>that.
    >>
    >>The box on top of the computer has five green lights that stay on all the
    >>time. Would that have filters in it?
    >>There is also a silver wire from the little box but I can't find the other
    >>end of it.
    >>
    >>Sorry, but I don't know the technical terms for the extra bits.
    >>
    >>He would have known what he was doing, as everything is working very well.
    >>just find Standby has changed and wondered if I should do something
    >>besides
    >>clicking Standby. It doesn't seem to get past "entering sleep mode" now,
    >>which keeps appearing. Perhaps it is supposed to do that?
    >>
    >>Thank you
    >>Geopelia

    > Geopelia
    > See Gordon's reply, he could well be correct.
    > Perhaps turn turn the modem (your new little box) off, there is usually a
    > small
    > push button switch at the rear, when you try to go into standby.
    > Alternatively, turn your computer off and turn it back on when you need to
    > use
    > it.
    > Tony

    Thanks, I'm turning it off when I'm not going to use it for a while. I don't
    want to do anything with the modem.
    The green lights stay on even when the computer is off, but I don't suppose
    they use much power.
    Broadband is certainly complicated!

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 31, 2011
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <in10fo$ics$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> The line from the new small box to the computer has a thicker white cable
    >> with a yellow end. It has a plastic bit connecting it to the computer
    >> like
    >> the plastic ends of things that go into the jackpoint. There is a sort of
    >> small plastic clip on it. Is that Ethernet?

    > Sounds like it.
    >
    >> The other wire, a black one, from the new box has a plug which goes into
    >> what I think is called a surge protector. Several things are plugged into
    >> that.

    > What are they?

    One is the power cable from the wall. The others are two round plugs (3
    point?) and a square box thing. I've got the monitor and a printer so they
    are probably for that. There are a green and an orange light too.
    It's a problem getting down behind the computer to see where everything
    goes. I've stuck labels on the cables I can reach saying what they are and
    where they go, to reconnect it if it has to go into the shop, but the
    computer man will call here to take it away and replace it. They have moved
    to another location and now Hubby can't drive it would be too hard for me to
    manage the traffic where they are now.

    >> The box on top of the computer has five green lights that stay on all the
    >> time. Would that have filters in it?

    > No, the computer side doesn't need the filters-the phone does.

    Perhaps all the new stuff by the jackpoint has the filters in it.

    >> I just find Standby has changed and wondered if I should do something
    >> besides clicking Standby. It doesn't seem to get past "entering sleep
    >> mode" now, which keeps appearing. Perhaps it is supposed to do that?

    > I wonder if you have something in either your OS or BIOS settings saying
    > "wake on LAN". You've never been on a LAN before, so you've never noticed.

    I wouldn't know what OS and BIOS are. I'll have to Google them. Is a LAN
    Broadband?

    I'll tell the computer man next time he calls. He knows everything.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 31, 2011
  16. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Crash McBash" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 23:29:32 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've got Broadband now. I used to use Standby a lot, from "standby turn
    >>off
    >>restart", but it seems different on Broadband.
    >>It kept flashing "entering sleep mode" at intervals. It used to show that
    >>only once, on dial up.
    >>So I turned it off instead.
    >>
    >>Can it be left on standby, or does it have to be turned off?
    >>What do I click please?
    >>
    >>Windows XP, Telecom Broadband.
    >>
    >>It's certainly very fast on Broadband!
    >>
    >>Thank you
    >>Geopelia

    > Hi Geo,
    >
    > I believe you are referring to the 'stand by' option when you click
    > start/turn off computer. The other two options are 'turn off' and
    > 'restart'.

    Yes, that is what I used. I always used to use standby on dial up. Now it
    keeps repeating "Entering sleep mode"

    > It is very difficult to believe the installation of broadband hardware
    > would have had any effect on how your PC works with this. Personally
    > though I always use 'turn off' as it completely shuts down windows and
    > powers off the hardware.

    I'm turning it off now if I'm going to be away for a few hours.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 31, 2011
  17. In message <in1mrm$skg$>, Geopelia wrote:

    >> In message <in10fo$ics$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just find Standby has changed and wondered if I should do something
    >>> besides clicking Standby. It doesn't seem to get past "entering sleep
    >>> mode" now, which keeps appearing. Perhaps it is supposed to do that?

    >> I wonder if you have something in either your OS or BIOS settings saying
    >> "wake on LAN". You've never been on a LAN before, so you've never
    >> noticed.

    > I wouldn't know what OS and BIOS are. I'll have to Google them. Is a LAN
    > Broadband?

    “LAN†is “Local Area Networkâ€. That’s basically what you’ve got between the
    broadband device and your PC—your own mini office network. The broadband box
    is a “routerâ€, connecting this network to the wider Ethernet. It also
    performs the functions of a “modemâ€, decoding and encoding the ADSL
    communication. It is possible to have the two functions performed by
    separate boxes.

    I’m guessing the Ethernet port on your PC has never been used before—not by
    you, anyway. It is possible to configure the Ethernet to wake up the PC if
    it detects network activity—this is used in office settings to, for example,
    do automatic backups of machines in the middle of the night when no-one is
    around, without having to have them fully powered up the whole night.

    Anyway, that’s my guess as to why your PC won’t go to sleep.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2011
  18. In message <in1ln7$pri$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > Broadband is certainly complicated!

    You don’t know the half of it
    <http://www.theonion.com/articles/nasa-announces-plan-to-bring-wifi-to-its-headquart,2299/>.

    :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2011
  19. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <in1mrm$skg$>, Geopelia wrote:

    >>> I wonder if you have something in either your OS or BIOS settings saying
    >>> "wake on LAN". You've never been on a LAN before, so you've never
    >>> noticed.

    >> I wouldn't know what OS and BIOS are. I'll have to Google them. Is a LAN
    >> Broadband?

    > "LAN" is "Local Area Network". That's basically what you've got between
    > the
    > broadband device and your PC-your own mini office network. The broadband
    > box
    > is a "router", connecting this network to the wider Ethernet. It also
    > performs the functions of a "modem", decoding and encoding the ADSL
    > communication. It is possible to have the two functions performed by
    > separate boxes.
    >
    > I'm guessing the Ethernet port on your PC has never been used before-not
    > by
    > you, anyway. It is possible to configure the Ethernet to wake up the PC if
    > it detects network activity-this is used in office settings to, for
    > example,
    > do automatic backups of machines in the middle of the night when no-one is
    > around, without having to have them fully powered up the whole night.
    >
    > Anyway, that's my guess as to why your PC won't go to sleep.

    I just turm it off now when I'm not using it.

    Geopelia, Mar 31, 2011
  20. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 31/03/11 21:18, EMB wrote:
    > On 31/03/2011 8:08 p.m., Tony wrote:
    >
    >> Fair enough, my router takes less time to boot than my computer
    >> (too many startup applications!) so I don't worry too much.

    > The last Telecom supplied (2 Wire) router I had the misfortune to
    > deal with is very slow to sync up on the line and get a connection.
    > Apart from that it seems reliable and has a user interface designed
    > for the lowest common denominator luser.

    The last Telecom ADSL router (Thompson brand?) that I put in for someone
    didn't work at all until I changed the modem to wall jack cable.

    Enkidu, Mar 31, 2011