    the hard discs anymore. Even when I call up "Turn off computer" and
    click "Standby" manually, the damn discs remain at full power. Worked
    fine until today and no one changed anything. Help.
    Jack W, Feb 18, 2008

  2. Jack W

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:53:35 GMT, Windswept@Home (Jack W) wrote:

    >XP Home edition.

    Ok.. good start. Laptop? Desktop?

    >The monitor goes into standby as programmed but not
    >the hard discs anymore.

    Umm... So just the hard drive? What about the power supply? Or are you
    confusing a power supply with a 'hard disc'?

    >Even when I call up "Turn off computer" and click "Standby" manually,

    As opposed to... Your computer is set to go to standby manually?

    >the damn discs remain at full power.

    As opposed to half power?

    >Worked fine until today and no one changed anything. Help.

    More details would help.
    Evan Platt, Feb 18, 2008

  3. Windswept@Home (Jack W) wrote in

    > XP Home edition. The monitor goes into standby as
    > programmed but not the hard discs anymore. Even
    > when I call up "Turn off computer" and click "Standby"
    > manually, the damn discs remain at full power. Worked
    > fine until today and no one changed anything. Help.

    It sounds like [someone] has run a registry cleaner, either
    automatically or manually? Tried to system restore back a
    few notches? Try first to simply reboot, or better, totally
    turn off for a few minutes then restart, then goto your
    Desktop Properties | Screen Saver tab | Power... button
    and check out your settings.

    --

    My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

    New York, New York, USA, the greatest city in the whole wide world:

    http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN1419876020080214

    http://nymag.com/fashion/08/spring/lindsay-as-marilyn/
    Bucky Breeder, Feb 18, 2008