    thanks.

    Hp athlon dual core media center 4600 about 3 years old. I never used
    standby before since i was downloading a lot.

    Roky, Aug 10, 2009

  2. Roky

    gnu / linux Guest

    Re: standby mode lasts only a few seconds.

    On Aug 10, 5:17 pm, Roky <> wrote:
    > When I put my pc in standby mode, (start-turnoff computer-standby)
    > it only stays in for a few seconds.
    > I tried unplugging my mouse and keyboard immedieately after putting it
    > in standby with no change in result. I also disabled my screen saver.
    > thanks.
    >
    > Hp athlon dual core media center 4600 about 3 years old. I never used
    > standby before since i was downloading a lot.

    wow google returned lots of results for this, hope it helps
    http://www.google.com/search?q=pc s...8451&usg=__kHs0OiOV9GLYjc_vv2g5HFhDO40=&hl=en

    gnu / linux, Aug 11, 2009

  3. Roky

    Paul Guest

    Roky wrote:
    > When I put my pc in standby mode, (start-turnoff computer-standby)
    > it only stays in for a few seconds.
    > I tried unplugging my mouse and keyboard immedieately after putting it
    > in standby with no change in result. I also disabled my screen saver.
    > thanks.
    >
    > Hp athlon dual core media center 4600 about 3 years old. I never used
    > standby before since i was downloading a lot.

    Have a look in the Device Manager. On the Network interface chip
    (Ethernet), there might be Properties:power Management

    "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"

    Certain pieces of hardware have PME connections (Power Management
    Event, something that can happen in standby). An example might be
    a USB device waking the computer up.

    The BIOS has a section, where you can enable PME.

    There are also, on some older computers, jumpers
    that control power to USB or PS/2 devices. Setting
    the jumper to +5V, instead of +5VSB, means no power
    is present for them to use, when the computer is
    in standby. Then they cannot wake the computer.
    The Network Interface has its own standby supply, in
    in that case, you have to look for other methods to
    disable it in standby.

    So ingredients are sprinkled around the computer, and there
    is more than one place to look for an answer. Disabling some
    of the things that enable waking, is one way to attack
    the problem. It could even be a software problem.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 11, 2009
  4. Roky

    - Bobb - Guest

    GO to control panel - network connections
    right-click on your network adapter - properties
    click CONFIGURE to the right of Connect Using (adapter name)
    then Power Mgmt tab.
    UNCLICK the " Allow adapter to wake up PC" checkbox
    apply - OK
    close network config window
    Try it now

    - Bobb -, Aug 12, 2009
  5. Roky

    Roky Guest

    On Aug 10, 10:58 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > Roky wrote:
    > > When I put my pc in standby mode, (start-turnoff computer-standby)
    > > it only stays in for a few seconds.
    > > I tried unplugging my mouse and keyboard immedieately after putting it
    > > in standby with no change in result. I also disabled my screen saver.
    > > thanks.

    > > Hp athlon dual core media center 4600 about 3 years old. I never used
    > > standby before since i was downloading a lot.

    > Have a look in the Device Manager. On the Network interface chip
    > (Ethernet), there might be Properties:power Management
    >
    >     "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"
    >
    > Certain pieces of hardware have PME connections (Power Management
    > Event, something that can happen in standby). An example might be
    > a USB device waking the computer up.
    >
    > The BIOS has a section, where you can enable PME.
    >
    > There are also, on some older computers, jumpers
    > that control power to USB or PS/2 devices. Setting
    > the jumper to +5V, instead of +5VSB, means no power
    > is present for them to use, when the computer is
    > in standby. Then they cannot wake the computer.
    > The Network Interface has its own standby supply, in
    > in that case, you have to look for other methods to
    > disable it in standby.
    >
    > So ingredients are sprinkled around the computer, and there
    > is more than one place to look for an answer. Disabling some
    > of the things that enable waking, is one way to attack
    > the problem. It could even be a software problem.
    >
    >     Paul

    Thanks everybody. And Paul you are a genius. I followed your
    instructions.

    "Have a look in the Device Manager. On the Network interface chip
    (Ethernet), there might be Properties:power Management

    "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" "
    I cliked on the box and now it goes into standby.

    Roky

    Roky, Aug 13, 2009
  6. Roky

    Paul Guest

    Roky wrote:
    > On Aug 10, 10:58 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    >> Roky wrote:
    >>> When I put my pc in standby mode, (start-turnoff computer-standby)
    >>> it only stays in for a few seconds.
    >>> I tried unplugging my mouse and keyboard immedieately after putting it
    >>> in standby with no change in result. I also disabled my screen saver.
    >>> thanks.
    >>> Hp athlon dual core media center 4600 about 3 years old. I never used
    >>> standby before since i was downloading a lot.

    >> Have a look in the Device Manager. On the Network interface chip
    >> (Ethernet), there might be Properties:power Management
    >>
    >> "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"
    >>
    >> Certain pieces of hardware have PME connections (Power Management
    >> Event, something that can happen in standby). An example might be
    >> a USB device waking the computer up.
    >>
    >> The BIOS has a section, where you can enable PME.
    >>
    >> There are also, on some older computers, jumpers
    >> that control power to USB or PS/2 devices. Setting
    >> the jumper to +5V, instead of +5VSB, means no power
    >> is present for them to use, when the computer is
    >> in standby. Then they cannot wake the computer.
    >> The Network Interface has its own standby supply, in
    >> in that case, you have to look for other methods to
    >> disable it in standby.
    >>
    >> So ingredients are sprinkled around the computer, and there
    >> is more than one place to look for an answer. Disabling some
    >> of the things that enable waking, is one way to attack
    >> the problem. It could even be a software problem.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Thanks everybody. And Paul you are a genius. I followed your
    > instructions.
    >
    > "Have a look in the Device Manager. On the Network interface chip
    > (Ethernet), there might be Properties:power Management
    >
    > "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" "
    > I cliked on the box and now it goes into standby.
    >
    > Roky

    Well that was pretty easy. Usually the computer puts up a good
    fight. They don't like to sleep you know...

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 13, 2009