Standard VGA driver (vga.sys)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by bjones, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. bjones

    bjones Guest

    I did something dumb a couple of weeks ago, and need some help in fixing it.

    Upgraded to Windows XP Pro from 98SE. All went fine. Of course, needed to
    install OEM drivers for my Nvidia-based video card, nice card, PCI slot,
    S-video out, and I wanted the NView Control Panels back, etc. Following the
    instructions (I thought), which said to uninstall the existing VGA driver
    using the Add/Remove Icon in Control Panel, shutdown the computer, remove
    the old card and install the new card. It said that Windows would then
    start the New Hardware Wizard when it saw the new card, I should Search For
    the Best Driver for your Device, click next, uncheck all the boxes, click
    next, then Windows would install the Standard PCI Graphics Adapter driver,
    then restart, then I could install the OEM drivers from the CD that came
    with the card. Now, there is not an Add/Remove Icon in Control Panel that
    gives me an option to uninstall the existing driver. There IS however an
    uninstall driver option in Device Manager. Here's where I did the dumb
    thing... not wanting to uninstall the Standard VGA driver that was listed in
    Device Manager under display adaptors, I disabled it. Let me tell you...
    don't do that.

    Following the instructions, I rebooted. I could hear Windows XP loading up,
    even the little "welcome" sound it makes, but nothing on my screen. Not
    dead black, kind of dark gray, but nothing there. Most likely because I had
    disabled the only display adaptor Windows was running.

    What to do, what to do. I tried Safe Mode, it wouldn't do much, got a
    black/white screen with lines of text where it looked like maybe it WAS
    nothing. Kept restarting and hitting F8 trying different options there to
    no avail. Finally took an old AGP video card of mine and stuck it in after
    taking the new Nvidia card out. Windows finally seemed to see something
    different and loaded in, automatically installing some Nvidia TNT2 drivers
    and voila the old AGP card worked fine.

    So now I'm kind of back where I started. Afraid to uninstall the Nvidia
    TNT2 drivers using Device Manager, because that's the only display adapter
    driver listed. I tried putting the new card in again, taking the old one
    out, and guess what, I just get the black screen again, can't see what's
    going on.

    Anybody have an idea as to the best procedure to follow here? I have the
    CDROM installation disk for the new video card, but the instructions stress
    uninstalling
    the old video adaptor driver first.

    Thanks in advance.

    Bruce Jones

    bjones, Sep 14, 2003

  2. bjones

    bjones Guest

    Oops, my first, no, second statement is incorrect. It wasn't an upgrade, I
    installed a new hard drive and installed Windows XP from scratch. Don't
    know why I said I upgraded, sorry.

    Bruce

    "bjones" <> wrote in message
    > I did something dumb a couple of weeks ago, and need some help in fixing

    it.

    > Upgraded to Windows XP Pro from 98SE. All went fine. Of course, needed

    > install OEM drivers for my Nvidia-based video card, nice card, PCI slot,
    > S-video out, and I wanted the NView Control Panels back, etc. Following

    the
    > instructions (I thought), which said to uninstall the existing VGA driver
    > using the Add/Remove Icon in Control Panel, shutdown the computer, remove
    > the old card and install the new card. It said that Windows would then
    > start the New Hardware Wizard when it saw the new card, I should Search

    For
    > the Best Driver for your Device, click next, uncheck all the boxes, click
    > next, then Windows would install the Standard PCI Graphics Adapter driver,
    > then restart, then I could install the OEM drivers from the CD that came
    > with the card. Now, there is not an Add/Remove Icon in Control Panel that
    > gives me an option to uninstall the existing driver. There IS however an
    > uninstall driver option in Device Manager. Here's where I did the dumb
    > thing... not wanting to uninstall the Standard VGA driver that was listed

    in
    > Device Manager under display adaptors, I disabled it. Let me tell you...
    > don't do that.
    >
    > Following the instructions, I rebooted. I could hear Windows XP loading

    up,
    > even the little "welcome" sound it makes, but nothing on my screen. Not
    > dead black, kind of dark gray, but nothing there. Most likely because I

    had
    > disabled the only display adaptor Windows was running.
    >
    > What to do, what to do. I tried Safe Mode, it wouldn't do much, got a
    > black/white screen with lines of text where it looked like maybe it WAS

    prompt,

    bjones, Sep 14, 2003

  3. bjones

    Ghostrider Guest

    bjones wrote:

    > I did something dumb a couple of weeks ago, and need some help in fixing it.
    >
    > Upgraded to Windows XP Pro from 98SE. All went fine. Of course, needed to
    > install OEM drivers for my Nvidia-based video card, nice card, PCI slot,
    > S-video out, and I wanted the NView Control Panels back, etc. Following the
    > instructions (I thought), which said to uninstall the existing VGA driver
    > using the Add/Remove Icon in Control Panel, shutdown the computer, remove
    > the old card and install the new card. It said that Windows would then
    > start the New Hardware Wizard when it saw the new card, I should Search For
    > the Best Driver for your Device, click next, uncheck all the boxes, click
    > next, then Windows would install the Standard PCI Graphics Adapter driver,
    > then restart, then I could install the OEM drivers from the CD that came
    > with the card. Now, there is not an Add/Remove Icon in Control Panel that
    > gives me an option to uninstall the existing driver. There IS however an
    > uninstall driver option in Device Manager. Here's where I did the dumb
    > thing... not wanting to uninstall the Standard VGA driver that was listed in
    > Device Manager under display adaptors, I disabled it. Let me tell you...
    > don't do that.
    >
    > Following the instructions, I rebooted. I could hear Windows XP loading up,
    > even the little "welcome" sound it makes, but nothing on my screen. Not
    > dead black, kind of dark gray, but nothing there. Most likely because I had
    > disabled the only display adaptor Windows was running.
    >
    > What to do, what to do. I tried Safe Mode, it wouldn't do much, got a
    > black/white screen with lines of text where it looked like maybe it WAS
    > nothing. Kept restarting and hitting F8 trying different options there to
    > no avail. Finally took an old AGP video card of mine and stuck it in after
    > taking the new Nvidia card out. Windows finally seemed to see something
    > different and loaded in, automatically installing some Nvidia TNT2 drivers
    > and voila the old AGP card worked fine.
    >
    > So now I'm kind of back where I started. Afraid to uninstall the Nvidia
    > TNT2 drivers using Device Manager, because that's the only display adapter
    > driver listed. I tried putting the new card in again, taking the old one
    > out, and guess what, I just get the black screen again, can't see what's
    > going on.
    >
    > Anybody have an idea as to the best procedure to follow here? I have the
    > CDROM installation disk for the new video card, but the instructions stress
    > uninstalling
    > the old video adaptor driver first.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bruce Jones

    There are several different ways of installing the video driver. But the most
    important part is at least to try to start from a common reference point, i.e.,
    with the Windows VGA driver. Sure, the picture looks lousy at 640x480
    and 16-color. The next step is to autorun the cdrom that was supplied with
    the video card. In most instances, the built-in *.inf file does all of the work
    at installing the drivers. Finally, go into the Control Panel Display applet and
    configure the video card to its final settings, e.g., 1024 x 768, True Color.

    An alternative would be to work through Device Manager. Highlight the
    Display Adapter and double-click. Under Drivers, choose the option to
    Update Driver. When asked for the file, select the path to the video drivers
    in the cdrom. Choose the proper *.inf file and then let it do all of the work.

    Ghostrider, Sep 14, 2003
  4. bjones

    bjones Guest

    Ghostrider, re: "There are several different ways of installing the video
    driver. But the most
    important part is at least to try to start from a common reference point,
    i.e.,
    with the Windows VGA driver. Sure, the picture looks lousy at 640x480
    and 16-color"

    Therein lies at least part of my problem. How do I get Windows XP to
    install the VGA driver? It's not listed in Device Manager as being
    available, or being there at all. That is exactly the reference point I'd
    like to start with.

    Thanks,
    B. Jones

    bjones, Sep 14, 2003