Standard or Widescreen monitor?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bazzer Smith, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    I will be buying a new monitor but which type should I buy?
    I will admit I am not widescreens biggest 'fan', however what I
    like is pretty immaterial as I can't control the format in which
    other people produce 'media'.
    I currently have a bog standard 14" CRT monitor but I think I will
    be going flatscreen (LCD etc) because I want a good sized monitor
    and CRT takes up too much room really.
    Even now some sites seem to be standard and other widescreen so
    whatever I get it wil be 'wrong'. (Thanks to the 'inventor' of widescreen).

    Do any of you have a WS monitor?

    Do you like them?

    I kind of see a big problem with them because obviously they are too sort in
    height.
    For example, many PDF documents are A4 page size, this is a problem in say
    Adobe Acrobat because even on a standard monitor you can only see about half
    the page, it will be much worse on a WS. I feel like turning my monitor
    through
    90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?

    Also there is all the toolbars etc (google norton etc...) which reduce the
    vertical
    height of the screen anyway, making my standard monitor, widescreen in a
    way,
    on a true widescreen monitor doesn't this look kind of ridulous? The
    'useable'
    screen area must be 5.75 by 10.75 which is a ratio of 1.86:1
    on a WS monitor the situation will be even worse, I am thinking it is going
    be close to 2.5:1 or even 3:1.

    Can anyone with a WS monitor tell me the ratio of the free screen area, its
    a bit
    har d for me to work out. I am working on the basis you have 3 (tool)bars
    at the top and the start button bar at the bottom. There is also a
    'mini-bar'
    above both these bars, in a normal set up.

    Another point is 'native resolution', or whatever, will this affect things?

    I am probably thinking a big standard shape monitor would be best?
    I incidently I have a Freecom DTTV stick so I sometime watch TV
    on my PC, but the monitor shape is not really a problem as you watch in
    a nicely framed box, you don't get black ugly bars wasteing space as you
    do on a proper TV.

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 21, 2006

  2. Bazzer Smith

    Rod Speed Guest

    Bazzer Smith <> wrote:

    > I will be buying a new monitor but which type should I buy?

    > I will admit I am not widescreens biggest 'fan', however what I like is pretty
    > immaterial as I can't control the format in which other people produce 'media'.

    Yep, most obviously with movies etc.

    > I currently have a bog standard 14" CRT monitor but I think I will be going flatscreen
    > (LCD etc) because I want a good sized monitor and CRT takes up too much room really.

    Yeah, a couple of 19" CRTs takes up quite a bit of space.

    > Even now some sites seem to be standard and other widescreen so whatever I get it wil be
    > 'wrong'. (Thanks to the 'inventor' of widescreen).

    Thats life.

    > Do any of you have a WS monitor?

    Yes, on the laptop.

    > Do you like them?

    Yes, but that is because the main reason I got it was to be
    able to play captured digital TV on it when bottling the beer.
    It takes about a hour to bottle a batch and its too boring.

    It is a significant downside with my Access databases, quite a
    few of them, including the beer database have been optimised
    to get as much info as possible on the screen and that obviously
    needs to be done for the conventional format monitors, so you
    end up with unused space on the widescreen monitors.

    > I kind of see a big problem with them because obviously they are too sort in height.

    > For example, many PDF documents are A4 page size, this is a problem
    > in say Adobe Acrobat because even on a standard monitor you can only
    > see about half the page, it will be much worse on a WS.

    In practice its not really much of a problem. I was reading
    Clinton's memoirs on the laptop the other morning because
    the power had failed and that was the only thing still going.
    You have to page in the original pages anyway, so another
    page or two per original page is really neither here nor there.
    And any decently designed pdf doesnt use A4 pages anyway.

    > I feel like turning my monitor through 90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?

    Dunno, havent noticed that for many years now.

    > Also there is all the toolbars etc (google norton etc...) which reduce the vertical
    > height of the screen anyway, making my standard monitor, widescreen in a way, on a true
    > widescreen monitor doesn't this look kind of ridulous?

    In theory you'd think it would, but in practice its
    not a problem, essentially because so few web
    pages even attempt to fit on the monitor vertically.

    > The 'useable' screen area must be 5.75 by 10.75 which is a ratio of 1.86:1 on a WS
    > monitor the situation will be even worse, I am thinking it is going to be close to 2.5:1
    > or even 3:1.

    I doubt its as much as that.

    > Can anyone with a WS monitor tell me the ratio of the free screen
    > area, its a bit har d for me to work out. I am working on the basis you have 3
    > (tool)bars at the top and the start button bar at the bottom. There is also a 'mini-bar'
    > above both these bars, in a normal set up.

    I cant see that it matters much given that so few web
    pages even attempt to fit on the screen vertically.

    > Another point is 'native resolution', or whatever, will this affect things?

    Nope.

    > I am probably thinking a big standard shape monitor would be best?

    Really depends on whether you plan to watch much
    in the way of widescreen movies etc on the monitor.

    > I incidently I have a Freecom DTTV stick so I sometime watch TV on my PC, but the
    > monitor shape is not really a problem as you watch in a nicely framed box, you don't get
    > black ugly bars wasteing space as you do on a proper TV.

    You do get ugly black bars at the top and bottom when you
    watch widescreen format movies and TV on a conventional monitor.

    Rod Speed, Jul 21, 2006

  3. Bazzer Smith

    Owain Guest

    Bazzer Smith wrote:
    > I kind of see a big problem with them because obviously they are too sort in
    > height.
    > For example, many PDF documents are A4 page size, this is a problem in say
    > Adobe Acrobat because even on a standard monitor you can only see about half
    > the page, it will be much worse on a WS. I feel like turning my monitor
    > through 90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?

    Yes.

    However if you get a big enough monitor then widescreen or landscape is
    nice for viewing a 2 x A4 spread.

    > Also there is all the toolbars etc (google norton etc...) which reduce the
    > vertical height of the screen anyway,

    Can't you move at least some of them to the side?

    > Another point is 'native resolution', or whatever, will this affect things?

    Yes. Always best to run at native resolution for the LCD as otherwise
    can get a bit fuzzy although newer LCDs seem a lot better than they used
    to be at adjusting. First check the possibilities of your current video card

    > I am probably thinking a big standard shape monitor would be best?

    Probably, as (a) you don't seem to like widescreen much, and (b) they
    usually cost a bit more. Remember to get the same *height* you need to
    buy a bigger diagonal screen size with widescreen compared to ordinary
    screen.

    Owain

    Owain, Jul 21, 2006
  4. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    >> The 'useable' screen area must be 5.75 by 10.75 which is a ratio of
    >> 1.86:1 on a WS monitor the situation will be even worse, I am thinking it
    >> is going to be close to 2.5:1 or even 3:1.

    > I doubt its as much as that.

    Well considering my 1.33:1 went to 1.86:1 thats + 0.53 so on a
    16:9 (1.77:1) that's 2.3:1, and I believeit would be worse than that
    because you have less height to lose in the first place.
    I will do the 'proper maths' later when I have more time and less beer :O)

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 21, 2006
  5. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    >> Can anyone with a WS monitor tell me the ratio of the free screen
    >> area, its a bit har d for me to work out. I am working on the basis you
    >> have 3 (tool)bars at the top and the start button bar at the bottom.
    >> There is also a 'mini-bar' above both these bars, in a normal set up.

    > I cant see that it matters much given that so few web
    > pages even attempt to fit on the screen vertically.

    It is when reading text you have to scroll horizontal ever line, vertically
    it
    is only every 20 lines or so.

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 21, 2006
  6. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    >> I incidently I have a Freecom DTTV stick so I sometime watch TV on my PC,
    >> but the monitor shape is not really a problem as you watch in a nicely
    >> framed box, you don't get black ugly bars wasteing space as you do on a
    >> proper TV.

    > You do get ugly black bars at the top and bottom when you
    > watch widescreen format movies and TV on a conventional monitor.

    Well you do sometimes if they are actually transmitted with black bars,
    but if it is a standard 4:3 or 16:9 the 'Stick' I have puts it in the
    correct
    shaped box for you.

    Actually I am thinking I would be better off ditching the TV altogether,
    and having a PC with two (or three?) monitors, if thats possible?

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 21, 2006
  7. Bazzer Smith

    Rod Speed Guest

    Bazzer Smith <> wrote:
    >>> Can anyone with a WS monitor tell me the ratio of the free screen
    >>> area, its a bit har d for me to work out. I am working on the basis
    >>> you have 3 (tool)bars at the top and the start button bar at the
    >>> bottom. There is also a 'mini-bar' above both these bars, in a
    >>> normal set up.

    >> I cant see that it matters much given that so few web
    >> pages even attempt to fit on the screen vertically.

    > It is when reading text you have to scroll horizontal ever line,
    > vertically it is only every 20 lines or so.

    OK, but the better browsers fix that horiz scrolling problem.

    Rod Speed, Jul 21, 2006
  8. Bazzer Smith

    Rod Speed Guest

    Bazzer Smith <> wrote:
    >>> I incidently I have a Freecom DTTV stick so I sometime watch TV on
    >>> my PC, but the monitor shape is not really a problem as you watch
    >>> in a nicely framed box, you don't get black ugly bars wasteing
    >>> space as you do on a proper TV.

    >> You do get ugly black bars at the top and bottom when you
    >> watch widescreen format movies and TV on a conventional monitor.

    > Well you do sometimes if they are actually transmitted with black
    > bars, but if it is a standard 4:3 or 16:9 the 'Stick' I have puts it
    > in the correct
    > shaped box for you.
    >

    > Actually I am thinking I would be better off ditching the TV
    > altogether, and having a PC with two (or three?) monitors, if thats
    > possible?

    Yes, its certainly possible.

    I still have a massive great widescreen TV on both of the main PCs tho.

    Rod Speed, Jul 21, 2006
  9. Bazzer Smith

    Agamemnon Guest

    "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message
    >I will be buying a new monitor but which type should I buy?
    > I will admit I am not widescreens biggest 'fan', however what I
    > like is pretty immaterial as I can't control the format in which
    > other people produce 'media'.
    > I currently have a bog standard 14" CRT monitor but I think I will
    > be going flatscreen (LCD etc) because I want a good sized monitor
    > and CRT takes up too much room really.
    > Even now some sites seem to be standard and other widescreen so
    > whatever I get it wil be 'wrong'. (Thanks to the 'inventor' of
    > widescreen).
    >
    > Do any of you have a WS monitor?
    >
    > Do you like them?
    >
    > I kind of see a big problem with them because obviously they are too sort
    > in height.
    > For example, many PDF documents are A4 page size, this is a problem in say
    > Adobe Acrobat because even on a standard monitor you can only see about
    > half
    > the page, it will be much worse on a WS. I feel like turning my monitor
    > through
    > 90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?
    >
    > Also there is all the toolbars etc (google norton etc...) which reduce the
    > vertical
    > height of the screen anyway, making my standard monitor, widescreen in a
    > way,
    > on a true widescreen monitor doesn't this look kind of ridulous? The
    > 'useable'
    > screen area must be 5.75 by 10.75 which is a ratio of 1.86:1
    > on a WS monitor the situation will be even worse, I am thinking it is
    > going to
    > be close to 2.5:1 or even 3:1.
    >
    > Can anyone with a WS monitor tell me the ratio of the free screen area,
    > its a bit
    > har d for me to work out. I am working on the basis you have 3 (tool)bars
    > at the top and the start button bar at the bottom. There is also a
    > 'mini-bar'
    > above both these bars, in a normal set up.
    >

    > Another point is 'native resolution', or whatever, will this affect
    > things?
    >
    > I am probably thinking a big standard shape monitor would be best?
    > I incidently I have a Freecom DTTV stick so I sometime watch TV
    > on my PC, but the monitor shape is not really a problem as you watch in
    > a nicely framed box, you don't get black ugly bars wasteing space as you
    > do on a proper TV.

    Get a 19 inch or larger CRT that can display up to 1920x1440 resolution or
    over. Then you will be able to watch HD movies at 1920x1080 and tile 4
    wordprocessor or internet explorer windows on the screen at the same time
    and have no problems with loss of usable area. (LCD's only go up to
    1600x1200 which is not big enough.)

    The problem with widescreen monitors is that they are not wide enough. If
    they'd been in Panavision you'd be able to tile 2 wordprocessor windows side
    by side without loss or usable area, and if they were in Cinemascope you'd
    get 2 wordprocessor windows side by side without loss or usable area. What's
    more 16:9 is a horrid ratio to watch TV on because the screen ratio feels
    completely wrong. It's too wide for the golden ratio and its too narrow for
    Panavision so films cropped to fit into it look odd. If you are using it to
    play DVD's on then you are going to get black bars at the top and bottom of
    the screen irrespective of the screen ratio since Panavision and Cinemascope
    are shown at full ratio like they should be and its about time that they
    were shown that way on TV too.

    Agamemnon, Jul 21, 2006
  10. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message

    >>> I cant see that it matters much given that so few web
    >>> pages even attempt to fit on the screen vertically.

    >> It is when reading text you have to scroll horizontal ever line,
    >> vertically it is only every 20 lines or so.

    > OK, but the better browsers fix that horiz scrolling problem.

    Such as which browsers?
    Do they do the scrolling for you by mindreading or reformat the screen?

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 21, 2006
  11. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message

    >>> You do get ugly black bars at the top and bottom when you
    >>> watch widescreen format movies and TV on a conventional monitor.

    >> Well you do sometimes if they are actually transmitted with black
    >> bars, but if it is a standard 4:3 or 16:9 the 'Stick' I have puts it
    >> in the correct
    >> shaped box for you.
    >>

    >> Actually I am thinking I would be better off ditching the TV
    >> altogether, and having a PC with two (or three?) monitors, if thats
    >> possible?

    > Yes, its certainly possible.

    That would be handy, do I need some sort of card?
    Would come in handy for playing multi-table poker.
    I will probably end up with something like a recording studio!!

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 21, 2006
  12. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    > Get a 19 inch or larger CRT that can display up to 1920x1440 resolution or
    > over. Then you will be able to watch HD movies at 1920x1080 and tile 4
    > wordprocessor or internet explorer windows on the screen at the same time
    > and have no problems with loss of usable area. (LCD's only go up to
    > 1600x1200 which is not big enough.)

    Well thats an idea I like the sound of, but the room I will be using it in
    aint that big and
    a 19 inch CRT is fairly large.

    > The problem with widescreen monitors is that they are not wide enough. If
    > they'd been in Panavision you'd be able to tile 2 wordprocessor windows
    > side by side without loss or usable area, and if they were in Cinemascope
    > you'd get 2 wordprocessor windows side by side without loss or usable
    > area.

    True, but you could equally have the two screens stacked vertically which
    would
    suit me because I have more vertial free space than horizontal.

    >What's more 16:9 is a horrid ratio to watch TV on because the screen ratio
    >feels completely wrong. It's too wide for the golden ratio and its too
    >narrow for Panavision so films cropped to fit into it look odd. If you are
    >using it to play DVD's on then you are going to get black bars at the top
    >and bottom of the screen irrespective of the screen ratio since Panavision
    >and Cinemascope are shown at full ratio like they should be and its about
    >time that they were shown that way on TV too.

    Yea its neither one thing nor the other.
    Personally I think they should have stuck to making films in 4:3 then we
    would
    not have this format conflict nonesense.

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 21, 2006
  13. Bazzer Smith

    BuckRabbit Guest

    <snip>

    > > I feel like turning my monitor through 90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?

    <snip>

    Actually yes you can, with nvida software you have the option of rotating the screen in increments of 90 degrees (90, 180, 270) so
    you can hoist your monitor on it's side and view the whole page if that's what you desire. Even on a standard CRT monitor you can
    see the whole page if you sit it up sideways with the screen rotated.

    Hope this was of some assistance
    Buck

    BuckRabbit, Jul 21, 2006
  14. Bazzer Smith

    BuckRabbit Guest

    "BuckRabbit" <> wrote in message news:e9peiq$utl$...

    > <snip>
    > >
    > > > I feel like turning my monitor through 90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?

    > <snip>
    >
    > Actually yes you can, with nvida software you have the option of rotating the screen in increments of 90 degrees (90, 180, 270)

    so
    > you can hoist your monitor on it's side and view the whole page if that's what you desire. Even on a standard CRT monitor you

    can
    > see the whole page if you sit it up sideways with the screen rotated.
    >
    > Hope this was of some assistance
    > Buck

    And I'm not just talking out of a hole in my ass here, I know because I've done it on this very system.

    BuckRabbit, Jul 21, 2006
  15. Bazzer Smith

    Rod Speed Guest

    Bazzer Smith <> wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message

    >>> It is when reading text you have to scroll horizontal ever line,
    >>> vertically it is only every 20 lines or so.

    >> OK, but the better browsers fix that horiz scrolling problem.

    > Such as which browsers?
    > Do they do the scrolling for you by mindreading or reformat the screen?

    If you tell them to make it fit horizontally, they do that
    using the font size, just like Acrobat Reader does.

    Rod Speed, Jul 21, 2006
  16. Bazzer Smith

    Rod Speed Guest

    Bazzer Smith <> wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well you do sometimes if they are actually transmitted with black
    >>> bars, but if it is a standard 4:3 or 16:9 the 'Stick' I have puts it
    >>> in the correct
    >>> shaped box for you.
    >>>

    >>> Actually I am thinking I would be better off ditching the TV
    >>> altogether, and having a PC with two (or three?) monitors, if thats
    >>> possible?

    >> Yes, its certainly possible.

    > That would be handy, do I need some sort of card?

    Yeah, I do it with dual head cards.

    > Would come in handy for playing multi-table poker.
    > I will probably end up with something like a recording studio!!

    Yeah, I do, I have a separate monitor on each PC and use
    synergy to switch the mouse and keyboard auto between
    them just by mousing off one screen onto the others.

    Rod Speed, Jul 21, 2006
  17. Bazzer Smith

    charles Guest

    In article <LIUvg.11866$u%>,
    Bazzer Smith <> wrote:
    > I will be buying a new monitor but which type should I buy?

    [Snip]

    > I feel like turning my monitor through 90 degrees, can you do this with
    > some monitors?

    Yes, my 20" Dell does this.

    --
    From KT24 - in drought-ridden Surrey

    Using a RISC OS5 computer

    charles, Jul 21, 2006
  18. "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote:

    >I kind of see a big problem with them because obviously they are too sort in
    >height.
    >For example, many PDF documents are A4 page size, this is a problem in say
    >Adobe Acrobat because even on a standard monitor you can only see about half
    >the page, it will be much worse on a WS. I feel like turning my monitor
    >through
    >90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?

    That's a function of some video cards, but not natively in any monitor I
    think. It seems to me that a 16:9 monitor on it's side would be too
    narrow, but a 4:3 on its side should be OK.

    When I bought a laptop not so long ago, I selected one of the dwindling
    number with 4:3 screens - because of common document formats and because
    it's better for coding and word-processing. Unless you are going to be
    using it *mostly* for video, then I'd suggest that you do go for 4:3.

    --
    Dave Farrance

    Dave Farrance, Jul 21, 2006
  19. Bazzer Smith

    housetrained Guest

    Do yourself a favour. Buy a 19" flat LCD 4.3. You will wonder how you
    managed with that old 17" for so long!

    --
    John the West Ham fan

    <><

    housetrained, Jul 21, 2006
  20. Bazzer Smith

    Guest

    Dave Farrance wrote:
    > "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I kind of see a big problem with them because obviously they are too sort in
    > >height.
    > >For example, many PDF documents are A4 page size, this is a problem in say
    > >Adobe Acrobat because even on a standard monitor you can only see about half
    > >the page, it will be much worse on a WS. I feel like turning my monitor
    > >through
    > >90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?

    > That's a function of some video cards, but not natively in any monitor I
    > think. It seems to me that a 16:9 monitor on it's side would be too
    > narrow, but a 4:3 on its side should be OK.
    >
    > When I bought a laptop not so long ago, I selected one of the dwindling
    > number with 4:3 screens - because of common document formats and because
    > it's better for coding and word-processing. Unless you are going to be
    > using it *mostly* for video, then I'd suggest that you do go for 4:3.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Farrance

    Why are so many laptops in Currys/Dixons/Comet etc widescreen? The
    dork in Comet told me internet pages are designed for widescreen...

    Yes, films fit it better but for everything else it's just the loss of
    height, which you need for web pages and documents.

    , Jul 21, 2006