Standard ISO Hot shoe: PART 1

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Donald Gray, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Donald Gray

    Donald Gray Guest

    Recently became digital with a Nikon 5700.

    I have several old but high power electronic flash units. All of which
    need to be used on a flash bar or off camera. All have the 'good old
    miniature coax plug for cameras like the old Rollie,Leica et al....

    Rather than get rid of them, I would like to use them with my digital
    camera. In particular a Braun F80 unit with two extra slave heads.

    I understand that the triggering voltage and current of the older type
    flash units is not compatible with the triggering circuits in modern
    cameras.

    The Nikon, in line with many other cameras, has a standard ISO Hot
    Shoe. I presume that this is a semiconductor circuit rather than a
    'closing contact' switch. My primary interest is making up an
    electronic interface for the ISO hot shoe so that I can safely trigger
    the old flash units.

    I would be most obliged if anyone can throw more light (pun not
    intended!) on this subject. Details of the ISO pin outs? A suitable
    interface circuit/schematic?
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk