Standard Floppy

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Tony Sperling, Aug 13, 2006.

  1. Hi, all.

    a:)
    I have two desktop machines running at the moment, both are having floppy
    drives that are rarely used. Perhaps the infrequent activity is making them
    depressed, because now that I need them - one never finishes reading a
    floppy before timing out, or alternatively claims that the file system isn't
    recognised. That one has just been sitting there, sulking for some time now,
    putting it in the other machine showed the diskette to be allright. Now,
    though, that drive suddenly isn't displayed at all in the filemanager, but
    it does show up in the BIOS setup.

    We've had questions on floppy booting, but I need it now for the SATA/RAID
    drivers.

    b:)
    I am tireing of this, I need this stuff to be stored on reliable media, and
    I wonder if it is possible to make an ISO from a floppy, burn it to other
    media and have the installation seeing it as the floppy. I ask this since
    the Windows Installers typically refers to CD drives as the [A:] drive and
    assumes it can only do this if the CD is originally built from a floppy ISO.

    Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated. I wouldn't mind having to
    dump the RAID right now, but I need the SATA drivers very bad - it's just
    ironic that they are coupled up together.

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Aug 13, 2006

  2. Tony Sperling

    Robert Guest

    Hey Tony,

    Maybe your floppy drives are having trouble reading data from old/worn
    floppy diskettes. Have you checked them lately? I'm also not too sure
    that they have feelings.

    About your floppy to ISO... This sounds a bit crazy, but for a regular
    CD which holds 700 MB, it would take 486 (estimated) floppy drives to
    fill a CD -- Is it worth it now?

    Is A: that important?

    Just my two cents (literally) -Rob

    Robert, Aug 13, 2006

  3. Thank you, Rob!

    > Maybe your floppy drives are having trouble reading data from old/worn
    > floppy diskettes. Have you checked them lately?

    I have checked it, in-so-far as having diskettes fail in one system while
    being good on the other (until that drive decided to go under-cover), also
    neither the drives nor the diskettes are very old, while I am aware this all
    leaves plenty of room for strange behavior.

    > I'm also not too sure that they have feelings.

    No, maybe not in the literal sense, but things are made to work and if you
    don't use them they have a way of getting even.

    > About your floppy to ISO... This sounds a bit crazy, but for a regular
    > CD which holds 700 MB, it would take 486 (estimated) floppy drives to
    > fill a CD

    Ah, but you don't have to fill upp the whole CD - it used to be quite
    normal way to produce a bootable CD to simply burn a ISO from a bootable
    floppy and then add your material - this would also explain why the Windows
    Installer asks you to remove any discs from the A: drive when it wants to
    re-boot - while you are using nothing but CD's.

    But I am uncertain if this behavior is exclusive to when booting - I wish to
    know if any floppy ISO burned to CD would be interpreted by the system as
    being on a actual floppy, even if not being booted from that drive?

    > Is A: that important?

    Well, I think it is iteresting that the system at this stage cannot identify
    where the material it is installing is located, and it would be interesting
    to know if I (we. . .) could make use of this to store that kind of stuff in
    a more reliable way, as the SATA drivers are critical.

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Aug 13, 2006
  4. Tony Sperling

    John Barnes Guest

    You could try blowing the dust out and check the connections at both the
    mobo and drive. Also over the years, I have found that floppies can be
    tempermental about reading diskettes written on other machines. New floppy
    drives are now less than $10 so you could buy one and share it. If I
    remember, Charlie only plugs his in for installs. Keep it in a sealed
    plastic bag and remember to visit is once in a while. They do have
    feelings.

    John Barnes, Aug 13, 2006
  5. Yes, good points - 'tempermental' is the word! Feelings or not, at least
    they do seem to have intimate awareness of concepts such as 'calendars' and
    'office hours'.

    Do you know why the Insstaller prefers to treat the CD drive as drive A:?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 13, 2006
  6. Tony Sperling

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Yes, some bootable CD-ROMs actually boot a floppy disk image. This leads to
    your A: drive being the contents of the disk image when you boot, and you
    can access your regular floppy drive as B:.

    And yes, it's possible to make a bootable CD from your floppy disk. I've
    done this before to make custom DOS start-up CDs or custom Win9x install
    CDs.

    There are a number of programs that you can use to do this. Nero Burning
    ROM, if you select a "CD-ROM (Boot)" project, has the option to read your
    floppy drive and use that as the boot image. You can then add as many files
    as you want to the CD, but they will show up on the *CD-ROM* and not on the
    A: floppy drive that you get when you boot (and your fake floppy disk will
    need to load CD-ROM drivers for you to have access to them).

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Aug 13, 2006
  7. Check for a BIOS update. Sometimes the BIOS does not report devices
    correctly.

    The drivers will have to be on a real floppy. A floppy image on a CD will
    show up as a CD - the device it is actually on.

    An external USB floppy drive can be kept dust free in a bag when not in use.
    This will appear as a standard floppy drive if your BIOS can be configured
    to accept it.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 13, 2006
  8. Tony -
    There are a couple of likely causes for the problems, of which dirt and
    tired floppies are the two most common. My technique for floppy drives is:
    1.) Vacuum the drive thoroughly. Suck all those dust bunnies out!
    2.) Insert a floppy into it, and format, using the /u switch. (IOW, do
    it from the command prompt.)
    3.) Create my SATA/RAID driver disk.
    4.) Plug the whole mess into the machine I'm building.

    I have two floppy drives I keep around - one a USB floppy that I know
    supports booting on most systems, and a regular "internal" one. I keep both
    in zip lock bags when I don't need them on a shelf in the office with my
    spare, old, too small to be very useful SCSI drives. (I dig those SCSI
    drives all out and plug them in when I need to do an example multi-drive
    array for writing about configuring Windows Server arrays. )

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 13, 2006
  9. So, this means that if a driver fits onto the original floppy, it could
    actually do the job in this way? The SATA driver won't, I believe, but -
    yes, this makes sense.

    Thanks a lot!

    Tony. . .

    "Aaron Kelley" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, some bootable CD-ROMs actually boot a floppy disk image. This leads

    > your A: drive being the contents of the disk image when you boot, and you
    > can access your regular floppy drive as B:.
    >
    > And yes, it's possible to make a bootable CD from your floppy disk. I've
    > done this before to make custom DOS start-up CDs or custom Win9x install
    > CDs.
    >
    > There are a number of programs that you can use to do this. Nero Burning
    > ROM, if you select a "CD-ROM (Boot)" project, has the option to read your
    > floppy drive and use that as the boot image. You can then add as many

    files
    > as you want to the CD, but they will show up on the *CD-ROM* and not on

    the
    > A: floppy drive that you get when you boot (and your fake floppy disk will
    > need to load CD-ROM drivers for you to have access to them).
    >
    > - Aaron
    >
    > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > > Yes, good points - 'tempermental' is the word! Feelings or not, at least
    > > they do seem to have intimate awareness of concepts such as 'calendars'
    > > and
    > > 'office hours'.
    > >
    > > Do you know why the Insstaller prefers to treat the CD drive as drive

    A:?

    Tony Sperling, Aug 13, 2006
  10. Good stuff, Charlie!

    USB Floppy it'll be, then.

    Reasonable projects are sooo nice!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 13, 2006
  11. Tony Sperling

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Nope...
    You'd actually have to boot the CD-ROM to get it to show up like a floppy
    disk. It won't help you load drivers during Windows setup.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Aug 13, 2006
  12. A usb flash drive would be more practical than a cd. Fortunately, Vista
    supports loading drivers this way. As for XP x64, I don't know of any way
    to redirecting the driver request, but I have heard that some folks copy the
    drivers to the hard drive much as one can do with the setup files for some
    types of installations. I've never had to do this, so I'm sure Charlie will
    happen by and set me straight. :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 13, 2006
  13. O.K. - I get it!

    Thanks.

    Tony Sperling, Aug 13, 2006
  14. A useful thing to have around, actually. I have one left over from an old
    notebook that has long since gone down the food chain. But you can run into
    problems on some BIOS, so I recommend keeping a brand new $10 USD floppy
    drive around for those machines. Just in case. The cost is minimal, and if
    you keep it in a clean location, or in a protective environment such as a
    ziplock (tm) bag, it will last for years and years.

    The good news is, Vista doesn't need a floppy. Finally.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 14, 2006
  15. There are ways to build an inline install. Or even a RIS install. But they
    are non-trivial, and not for the faint of heart. A whole lot easier to just
    keep a cheap floppy drive around.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 14, 2006
  16. Hello Colin,
    The OEM can supply the drivers via an "OEM Virtual Disk"

    896453 How to prevent virtual OEM device drivers from loading during the
    installation of a 64-bit version of Windows Server 2003 or a 64-bit version
    of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;896453

    In essence the firmware on the motherboard can contain the driver(s), the
    bios then can mount the firmware and make it available to the OS as either
    the A: or B: drive. Setup will look for it at that location, but both the
    hardware and BIOS have to support this method. There are a few vendors
    that do supply drivers this way.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com>
    <Subject: Re: Standard Floppy
    <Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 12:18:08 -0600
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <A usb flash drive would be more practical than a cd. Fortunately, Vista
    <supports loading drivers this way. As for XP x64, I don't know of any way
    <to redirecting the driver request, but I have heard that some folks copy
    the
    <drivers to the hard drive much as one can do with the setup files for some
    <types of installations. I've never had to do this, so I'm sure Charlie
    will
    <happen by and set me straight. :)
    <
    <"Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    <> Hi, all.
    <>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 16, 2006
  17. Thanks Darrell. At risk of sounding uneducated, when would I want to
    prevent the loading of OEM drivers? I do plain vanilla attended
    installations of x64 and just have never had an occasion to think about
    this.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 16, 2006
  18. Hello Colin,
    So the example that forced the creation of the article was trying to load
    32-bit drivers from an OEM virtual Disk with an x64 attempted installation,
    so setup would fail with the 32-bit drivers, however the OS already
    contained 64-bit drivers.
    Now however say you have updated drivers that are newer than the ones on
    the firmware that you would rather load. You would want to disable the
    drivers from the firmware from loading. Say for example SP2 contained
    newer\better drivers, so with a slipstreamed installation, you may not want
    the firmware drivers to load.
    I was merely pointing to the article for some reference material on fact
    that the option does exist for loading storage drivers from the hardware
    directly.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com>
    <Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:31:29 -0600
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com>
    <> <Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 12:18:08 -0600
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
    <> <A usb flash drive would be more practical than a cd. Fortunately, Vista
    <> <supports loading drivers this way. As for XP x64, I don't know of any
    <> way
    <> <to redirecting the driver request, but I have heard that some folks copy
    <> the
    <> <drivers to the hard drive much as one can do with the setup files for
    <> some
    <> <types of installations. I've never had to do this, so I'm sure Charlie
    <> will
    <> <happen by and set me straight. :)
    <> <
    <> <"Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    <> <news:OJqOE%...
    <> <> Hi, all.
    <> <>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 16, 2006
  19. Thanks for taking the time to tell me about this! Interesting.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 16, 2006
  20. Tony Sperling

    Guest

    Tony Sperling wrote:
    > Hi, all.
    >
    > a:)
    > I have two desktop machines running at the moment, both are having floppy
    > drives that are rarely used. Perhaps the infrequent activity is making them
    > depressed, because now that I need them - one never finishes reading a
    > floppy before timing out, or alternatively claims that the file system isn't
    > recognised. That one has just been sitting there, sulking for some time now,
    > putting it in the other machine showed the diskette to be allright. Now,
    > though, that drive suddenly isn't displayed at all in the filemanager, but
    > it does show up in the BIOS setup.
    >
    > We've had questions on floppy booting, but I need it now for the SATA/RAID
    > drivers.
    >
    > b:)
    > I am tireing of this, I need this stuff to be stored on reliable media, and
    > I wonder if it is possible to make an ISO from a floppy, burn it to other
    > media and have the installation seeing it as the floppy. I ask this since
    > the Windows Installers typically refers to CD drives as the [A:] drive and
    > assumes it can only do this if the CD is originally built from a floppy ISO.
    >
    > Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated. I wouldn't mind having to
    > dump the RAID right now, but I need the SATA drivers very bad - it's just
    > ironic that they are coupled up together.
    >

    > Tony. . .

    For machine that is up and running, do you really need to load the
    drivers from a floppy? The onboard sata raid on nforce4 doesn't require
    such gyrations. I could understand a plug in raid board needing a
    floppy for drivers.

    I am amazed that Giga-byte can upload new bios from the OS rather than
    a floppy. This might be a feature of all late model mobos.
    , Aug 16, 2006