Standard Cisco MIB/OID For Port Duplex Information?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jim McDonald, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. Jim McDonald

    Jim McDonald Guest

    Hi,
    I'm trying to monitor a range of Cisco switches but have hit problems when
    attempting to get port duplex state and was wondering if there is a single MIB
    that I can use to get this information rather than looking at switch-specific
    MIBs.

    I started off with a 2950, obtaining port information as available from
    RFC1213 but it didn't have duplex information. For duplex information it
    appeared that I head to go to the separate CISCO-C2900-MIB, but given it's name
    I am worried that it doesn't exist on the other switches. Is this MIB just
    badly named and is available everywhere else, or is there a specific MIB buried
    somewhere in the few hundred out there that are supported by all switches and
    have the information that I'm after?

    Cheers,
    Jim.
    --
    Jim McDonald -

    Jim McDonald, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Jim McDonald

    Andre Beck Guest

    "Jim McDonald" <> writes:

    > I'm trying to monitor a range of Cisco switches but have hit problems when
    > attempting to get port duplex state and was wondering if there is a single MIB
    > that I can use to get this information rather than looking at switch-specific
    > MIBs.

    Probably not. Even Cisco's own CiscoWorks 2k LMS fails on correctly
    detecting (besides other things) duplex state of certain switches ports,
    releasing all sorts of false alarms. So that really looks like there is
    no *single* and *reliable* way to request it. Then again, maybe they just
    can't code (and exactly for that reason chose Java). The CW2k LMS sometimes
    leaves a strong taste of that, at last.

    --
    The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

    -> Andre "ABPSoft" Beck +++ ABP-RIPE +++ Dresden, Germany, Spacetime <-

    Andre Beck, Nov 1, 2003