Standalone server vs member server

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by ADRENALINE, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. ADRENALINE

    ADRENALINE Guest

    Hello,
    A stand-alone server means the server in a workgroup
    and member server means server in a domain and not a domain controller.

    Can standalone servers also be called member servers or are the standalone
    servers is used strictly to say the server in a workgroup and a member
    server is used to strictly mention a server in a domain thats not a domain
    controller?

    MS Press book i am reading is pretty dumb about it. have a look for
    yourself:
    "All stand-alone servers, member servers, and computers running Windows XP
    Professional have built-in local groups."
    ^^ means here that there are 2 types of things, member servers and
    standalone.

    "The RIS server can be a domain controller or a stand-alone server that is a
    member of a domain containing Active Directory. "

    ^^ and here the very bright m@krosh@ft guy in the MS Press book says like a
    standalone server can be said to a member server as well.

    Which one is right geez i am gonna take the exam soon and the book doesnt
    tell what i am looking for.

    ADRENALINE, Feb 16, 2004

  2. ADRENALINE

    Brianz Guest

    Why are you getting concerned ?

    What it says is; machines that are NOT domain controllers have local
    accounts. Everything else does.

    To get RIS to work you need access to Active Directory, so either a domain
    controller or a member server. A standalone hasn't got access to AD because
    it's alone in the world.

    Good luck with the exam.
    Brianz
    MCDST, MCSA, MCSE

    Brianz, Feb 16, 2004

  3. ADRENALINE

    ADRENALINE Guest

    you dont get me.
    i dont say i dont understand what they mean there.i do.
    i meant they both call , say "A" as standalone and "B" as standalone as
    well. same for member server

    ADRENALINE, Feb 17, 2004
  4. ADRENALINE

    Brianz Guest

    The books are wrong...

    Servers that are on a network with a domain controller are Member Servers,
    full stop.

    Servers on a network with no access to a domain controller are standalone.

    That's it, there is no other way of putting it.

    Brianz :)

    Brianz, Feb 17, 2004
  5. ADRENALINE

    ADRENALINE Guest