    regon free.

    And give links with more info would be cool

    Thanks Daniel

    Daniel Farley, Sep 1, 2003

  2. In article <8OF4b.134021$>,
    spam@bites_the_dust_.again says...
    > Hey can people give me a list of DVD players that are, or can be easely made
    > regon free.
    >
    > And give links with more info would be cool
    >
    > Thanks Daniel

    Last time I walked through a Woolworth they had a stack of them sitting
    next to the checkout. Price around $130 .. $150 i.i.r.c.

    Now, I like the idea of DVDs, but what's the point? They make the things
    so damned expensive, I would rather drive 2 hours to a movie theatre and
    spend 12 bucks than shell out 40 bucks for a movie that I might watch
    once, or twice.

    Once DVD hire comes down, or the media is no more expensive than the cost
    of two movie visits, I may reconsider. As things are there's no way I'd
    buy a player, even though they are just about giving them away at
    present.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Sep 1, 2003

  3. On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 01:51:33 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Once DVD hire comes down, or the media is no more expensive than the
    > cost of two movie visits, I may reconsider.

    FWIW, loads of older discs are selling in europe for $8-12. Kids stuff as
    low as $5 (NZ$)

    It costs MORE than that to go to the flicks, even on cheap nights. 2
    tickets, parking, popcorn...

    > As things are there's no way I'd
    > buy a player, even though they are just about giving them away at
    > present.

    I now have the complete range of Monty Python films and none of them cost
    more than NZ$9 apiece. (Grail and Brian were even a special 2 for $9)

    FWIW, check out amazon.com, if you're willing to wait 3 days you cen get
    your favourite series box sets for about 1/2-1/3 the NZ price.

    Having said that, some things are quite expensive. The average for 24
    series 2 or Taken box sets are about NZ$200, f'instance.

    And this is without even looking at pirate discs - reputable retailers, etc.

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    2: Fraud

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 1, 2003
  4. Daniel Farley

    steve Guest

    Daniel Farley allegedly said:

    > Hey can people give me a list of DVD players that are, or can be easely
    > made regon free.
    >
    > And give links with more info would be cool
    >
    > Thanks Daniel

    I got a cheapo Mustek from DSE last Xmas that is easily made region-free. It
    works great.....though I know others had a different experience. The kids
    play MP3 CDs in it for *hours*.

    I think they sell and even cheaper model now.....so best to check.

    steve, Sep 2, 2003
  5. Daniel Farley

    Andrew Guest

    I know all the Pioneer models in NZ are Region Free

    Andrew, Sep 2, 2003
  6. Daniel Farley

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <8OF4b.134021$>,
    > spam@bites_the_dust_.again says...
    > > Hey can people give me a list of DVD players that are, or can be easely

    made
    > > regon free.
    > >
    > > And give links with more info would be cool
    > >
    > > Thanks Daniel

    > Last time I walked through a Woolworth they had a stack of them sitting
    > next to the checkout. Price around $130 .. $150 i.i.r.c.
    >
    > Now, I like the idea of DVDs, but what's the point? They make the things
    > so damned expensive, I would rather drive 2 hours to a movie theatre and
    > spend 12 bucks than shell out 40 bucks for a movie that I might watch
    > once, or twice.
    >
    > Once DVD hire comes down, or the media is no more expensive than the cost
    > of two movie visits, I may reconsider. As things are there's no way I'd
    > buy a player, even though they are just about giving them away at
    > present.
    >
    > -P.

    Have you ever thought about the money you'd save on power bills by turning
    your TV and computer OFF?

    For 12 bucks you can hire 3 DVD movies for 2 nights from some places. The
    Two Towers is the kind of movie that's well worth watching again. For you
    that would cost you another 12 bucks to sit in a lousy theatre seat for
    another 3 hours. You'd only be another 6 bucks away from owning the DVD
    along with all the special features that you wouldn't have seen at the movie
    theatre. A damn visit to a movie theatre isn't worth more than 6 bucks at
    the very most, to pay more is nothing but a rip off.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 2, 2003
  7. E. Scrooge wrote:
    > Have you ever thought about the money you'd save on power bills by
    > turning your TV and computer OFF?

    Not a whole lot. My computer+monitor only draw 1.2 amps under full load.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 2, 2003
  8. Daniel Farley

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    > Not a whole lot. My computer+monitor only draw 1.2 amps under full load.

    I once figured out that for each PC it costs ~$9 a month if on 24/7
    This was overly generous, over estimating on each step.

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003
  9. E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> Have you ever thought about the money you'd save on power bills by
    >>> turning your TV and computer OFF?

    >> Not a whole lot. My computer+monitor only draw 1.2 amps under full
    >> load.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Nicholas Sherlock

    > One of the options in mine was a bigger power supply. If I ran it
    > non stop it would make a noticeable difference. The old PC would
    > hardly make much difference at all.

    Simply having a bigger power supply doesn't change the amount of power that
    your components draw, though. You can rig up a specially wired 3-pin double
    adaptor that lets you use a multimeter to read the current draw. 1.2 amps
    was the combined total of my monitor and my computer. The computer itself
    only draws about .3 or .4 amps.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 2, 2003
  10. E. Scrooge wrote:
    > Thanks for that information. I'll be able to plug some 2,000 watt
    > heaters in without any affect to power consumption?
    >
    > The increase I went up in for the PC was ffrom 250 watts or whatever
    > it was as standard to at least 350 watts from memory. It might not
    > be that noticeable comapred to a 2,000 watt heater going flat out non
    > stop, but this PC uses more juice than the old Pentium 200 MMX does.
    > Something of which was expected and not a problem anyway.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    That's not what I meant. I meant that simply getting a larger power supply
    does nothing to increase the power draw of your computer. If you change
    components in your computer, then sure :). But you didn't explicitly say
    that in the message that I was replying to.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 2, 2003
  11. Daniel Farley

    geoffm Guest

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:09:53 +1200, "Daniel Farley"
    <spam@bites_the_dust_.again> wrote:

    >Hey can people give me a list of DVD players that are, or can be easely made
    >regon free.
    >
    >And give links with more info would be cool
    >
    >Thanks Daniel

    My Yukai is region free. The Yukai, Mustek 560 and Transonic are all
    the same under the front plastic and you can set the region code to
    whatever you want. Dick Smiths site has the instructions.
    The kmart Magnavox and woolworths/ Foodtown Muzida are region free
    IIRC.
    I am pleased with my Yukai - plays VCDs and DVDs fine, although it
    had trouble with one rental disk (scratched) which caused it to halt
    briefly at intervals. Ripping it to SVCD fixed it.

    geoffm, Sep 2, 2003
  12. Daniel Farley

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <bj1g92$sq0$>,
    says...

    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > > E. Scrooge wrote:
    > > > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message

    > > > One of the options in mine was a bigger power supply. If I ran it
    > > > non stop it would make a noticeable difference. The old PC would
    > > > hardly make much difference at all.

    > > Simply having a bigger power supply doesn't change the amount of power

    > that
    > > your components draw, though. You can rig up a specially wired 3-pin

    > double
    > > adaptor that lets you use a multimeter to read the current draw. 1.2 amps
    > > was the combined total of my monitor and my computer. The computer itself
    > > only draws about .3 or .4 amps.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Nicholas Sherlock

    > Thanks for that information. I'll be able to plug some 2,000 watt heaters
    > in without any affect to power consumption?

    You plug wallheaters into your PC power supply output
    connectors ??? - fuk sake, no wonder you have so many problems
    - yer running 'em on 5 n' 12v for starters!

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Sep 2, 2003
  13. Daniel Farley

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    > Simply having a bigger power supply doesn't change the amount of power

    that
    > your components draw, though. You can rig up a specially wired 3-pin

    double
    > adaptor that lets you use a multimeter to read the current draw. 1.2 amps
    > was the combined total of my monitor and my computer. The computer itself
    > only draws about .3 or .4 amps.

    i guessing that you dont do alot of anything with your computer...

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003
  14. Daniel Farley

    T.N.O. Guest

    "T-Boy" wrote
    > You plug wallheaters into your PC power supply output
    > connectors ??? - fuk sake, no wonder you have so many problems
    > - yer running 'em on 5 n' 12v for starters!

    nah, I have a cigarette lighter in the front of my case, I run a 12v
    inverter off that, and plug it into that.

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003
  15. Daniel Farley

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    > > i guessing that you dont do alot of anything with your computer...

    > Oh no, I do heaps with my computer. That value was while running a torture
    > test, and stayed the same during games too (CS). 1.53ghz, 256MB DDR, GF2
    > MX400, 2cdrom drives, 1 80gig 7200rpm hard drive.

    Oh ok... your figure sounds remarkably low.

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003
  16. Daniel Farley

    colinco Guest

    In article <bj311b$epabk$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Oh ok... your figure sounds remarkably low.

    I'd guess his PSU efficiency is high or his meter's is low.

    colinco, Sep 2, 2003
  17. Daniel Farley

    T.N.O. Guest

    "colinco" wrote
    > > Oh ok... your figure sounds remarkably low.
    > >

    > I'd guess his PSU efficiency is high or his meter's is low.

    maybe both, Computer PSU's are not known for their efficiency.

    T.N.O., Sep 3, 2003
  18. Daniel Farley

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <bj2vmr$d1gnj$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > "T-Boy" wrote
    > > You plug wallheaters into your PC power supply output
    > > connectors ??? - fuk sake, no wonder you have so many problems
    > > - yer running 'em on 5 n' 12v for starters!

    > nah, I have a cigarette lighter in the front of my case, I run a 12v
    > inverter off that, and plug it into that.

    LOL - did you make it, or buy the Thinkgeek version.

    I'm gonna do the same, run a wee light that will sit up on the
    Server monitor - so if the power goes off, I'll still have
    light to see what's happenning.

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Sep 3, 2003
  19. Daniel Farley

    The Flash Guest

    "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in message

    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > > E. Scrooge wrote:
    > > > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message

    > > > One of the options in mine was a bigger power supply. If I ran it
    > > > non stop it would make a noticeable difference. The old PC would
    > > > hardly make much difference at all.

    > > Simply having a bigger power supply doesn't change the amount of power

    > that
    > > your components draw, though. You can rig up a specially wired 3-pin

    > double
    > > adaptor that lets you use a multimeter to read the current draw. 1.2

    amps
    > > was the combined total of my monitor and my computer. The computer

    itself
    > > only draws about .3 or .4 amps.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Nicholas Sherlock

    > Thanks for that information. I'll be able to plug some 2,000 watt heaters
    > in without any affect to power consumption?
    >
    > The increase I went up in for the PC was ffrom 250 watts or whatever it

    was
    > as standard to at least 350 watts from memory. It might not be that
    > noticeable comapred to a 2,000 watt heater going flat out non stop, but

    this
    > PC uses more juice than the old Pentium 200 MMX does. Something of which
    > was expected and not a problem anyway.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Thats not a PSU issue thats a simple consumption issue, turn off any tasks
    that run the cpu 100% loaded ( prime95, seti etc etc) set power saving to
    turn off HDD and monitor and set system to suspend to memory after 30 mins
    of inactivity and the consumption will be minor.

    The monitor is the real hog as it cannot save power when being used in a
    visual mode, when TFT's get to $300 I will get on the power saving
    justerfication.

    The Flash, Sep 3, 2003
  20. Daniel Farley

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "T-Boy" wrote
    > > > nah, I have a cigarette lighter in the front of my case, I run a 12v
    > > > inverter off that, and plug it into that.

    > > LOL - did you make it, or buy the Thinkgeek version.

    > errr, I was kidding, but some of the 12v car accessories have me wondering
    > about how I could impliment them into my PC... mostly a car stereo amp...

    > need some good sound, but most have a 30 amp fuse in them, suggesting that
    > the PC PSU would not cope.

    I've done that but using a stand-alone old AT PSU next to my PC.

    > > I'm gonna do the same, run a wee light that will sit up on the
    > > Server monitor - so if the power goes off, I'll still have
    > > light to see what's happenning.

    > but if you have no power, what will power the light?

    UPS? He did say server.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---