Stallman doesn't support "open source", warns against Linus

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mickey Mouse, Sep 12, 2007.

  1. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    ""In terms of ideas, free software and open source are as different as could
    be.

    The term "open source" was promoted in 1998 by people that did not want to
    say "free" or "freedom."

    Supporters of open source (which I am not) promote a "development model" in
    which users participate in development, claiming that this typically makes
    software "better"

    The fact that Torvalds says "open source" instead of "free software" shows
    where he is coming from. I wrote the GNU GPL to defend freedom for all users
    of all versions of a program. I developed version 3 to do that job better
    and protect against new threats.

    Torvalds says he rejects this goal; that's probably why he doesn't
    appreciate GPL version 3. I respect his right to express his views, even
    though I think they are foolish. However, if you don't want to lose your
    freedom, you had better not follow him. ""

    http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;211669437

    Mickey Mouse, Sep 12, 2007

  2. Mickey Mouse

    BrianM Guest

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 22:28:53 +1200, Mickey Mouse wrote:

    > ""In terms of ideas, free software and open source are as different as could
    > be.
    >
    > The term "open source" was promoted in 1998 by people that did not want to
    > say "free" or "freedom."
    >
    > Supporters of open source (which I am not) promote a "development model" in
    > which users participate in development, claiming that this typically makes
    > software "better"
    >
    > The fact that Torvalds says "open source" instead of "free software" shows
    > where he is coming from. I wrote the GNU GPL to defend freedom for all users
    > of all versions of a program. I developed version 3 to do that job better
    > and protect against new threats.
    >
    > Torvalds says he rejects this goal; that's probably why he doesn't
    > appreciate GPL version 3. I respect his right to express his views, even
    > though I think they are foolish. However, if you don't want to lose your
    > freedom, you had better not follow him. ""
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;211669437

    RMS throwing another tantrum - yawn

    brianM

    BrianM, Sep 18, 2007