Stack Overflow Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by rfdjr1@optonline.net, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I booted my computer today, and before I got to Windows 98SE, I got a
    blue screen of death with the following message:
    Windows
    Terminating thread due to a stack overflow problem.
    A VxD, possibly recently installed, has consumed too much stack space.
    Increase the settings of Minsps in system.ini or remove recently
    installed VxD's. There are currently 6 SPs allocated.
    Press any key to continue.
    Huh???

    I pressed a key, and the system started to continue booting then froze.
    I shut it down completely and tried booting it again after half a minute
    or so, and it booted fine.

    I've never seen that screen before and have no idea what it means. I did
    a Google search on stack overflows, VxD's, SP's and find nothing I can
    understand. I looked in system.ini and can't find any lines called
    Minsp.

    Can anyone offer any help? I did install a program the other day, and
    uninstalled it. Don't know if that has anything to do with this VxD. I
    appreciate any help. Thanks.

    , Jan 6, 2004

  2. °Mike° Guest

    Error Message: There Are No Spare Stack Pages
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=149083

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 13:59:23 -0500, in
    <>
    scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 6, 2004

  3. why? Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 13:59:23 -0500, wrote:

    >I booted my computer today, and before I got to Windows 98SE, I got a
    >blue screen of death with the following message:
    >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Windows
    >Terminating thread due to a stack overflow problem.
    >A VxD, possibly recently installed, has consumed too much stack space.
    >Increase the settings of Minsps in system.ini or remove recently
    >installed VxD's. There are currently 6 SPs allocated.
    > Press any key to continue.
    >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >Huh???
    >
    >I pressed a key, and the system started to continue booting then froze.
    >I shut it down completely and tried booting it again after half a minute
    >or so, and it booted fine.
    >
    >I've never seen that screen before and have no idea what it means. I did
    >a Google search on stack overflows, VxD's, SP's and find nothing I can
    >understand. I looked in system.ini and can't find any lines called
    >Minsp.

    Try adding the line, for MinSPs=4?
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q149/0/83.asp

    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, add the following line to the [386Enh] section
    of the System.ini file, and then restart your computer:

    MinSPs=4

    If the behavior continues to occur, increase the number of spare stack
    pages in increments of 4 (for example, 8, 12, 16).

    NOTE: Each spare stack page requires 4 KB of memory.

    If you have NAV there is a other link at the end of the above page.

    >Can anyone offer any help? I did install a program the other day, and
    >uninstalled it. Don't know if that has anything to do with this VxD. I

    Any particular program, or did you pick one at random?

    Boot with thwe bootlog.txt option, sometimes you may see a
    "driver failed=" line indicating a problem.

    >appreciate any help. Thanks.

    Me

    why?, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Guest

    Thanks for the replies. There is no MinSPs=xxx line in my system.ini
    file at all. How do I edit the file to add the line? Is it a text file I
    can open in Windows?

    >On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 13:59:23 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>I booted my computer today, and before I got to Windows 98SE, I got a
    >>blue screen of death with the following message:
    >>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> Windows
    >>Terminating thread due to a stack overflow problem.
    >>A VxD, possibly recently installed, has consumed too much stack space.
    >>Increase the settings of Minsps in system.ini or remove recently
    >>installed VxD's. There are currently 6 SPs allocated.
    >> Press any key to continue.
    >>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>Huh???
    >>
    >>I pressed a key, and the system started to continue booting then froze.
    >>I shut it down completely and tried booting it again after half a minute
    >>or so, and it booted fine.
    >>
    >>I've never seen that screen before and have no idea what it means. I did
    >>a Google search on stack overflows, VxD's, SP's and find nothing I can
    >>understand. I looked in system.ini and can't find any lines called
    >>Minsp.

    >Try adding the line, for MinSPs=4?
    >http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q149/0/83.asp
    >
    >RESOLUTION
    >To resolve this behavior, add the following line to the [386Enh] section
    >of the System.ini file, and then restart your computer:
    >
    >MinSPs=4
    >

    >If the behavior continues to occur, increase the number of spare stack
    >pages in increments of 4 (for example, 8, 12, 16).
    >
    >NOTE: Each spare stack page requires 4 KB of memory.
    >
    >If you have NAV there is a other link at the end of the above page.
    >

    >>Can anyone offer any help? I did install a program the other day, and
    >>uninstalled it. Don't know if that has anything to do with this VxD. I

    >Any particular program, or did you pick one at random?
    >
    >Boot with thwe bootlog.txt option, sometimes you may see a
    >"driver failed=" line indicating a problem.
    >
    >>appreciate any help. Thanks.

    >Me

    , Jan 6, 2004
  5. Trax Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:49:47 -0500, wrote:

    |>Thanks for the replies. There is no MinSPs=xxx line in my system.ini
    |>file at all. How do I edit the file to add the line? Is it a text file I
    |>can open in Windows?

    Your going to learn quick...

    (you read the system.ini so you got there). Type:
    C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\edit C:\WINDOWS\system.ini
    make your changes - save - reboot
    repeat as necessary.

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w

    Trax, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Guest

    Thanks. Actually, right after I posted and asked how to edit the
    system.ini file, I went into the Windows folder, found it, opened it and
    edited it. I should have done so before I posted. I set it at a value of
    4. My question now is, is there any danger in setting it higher (by 4's)
    just to be on the safe side? Does it affect my system performance in a
    negative way if it's not necessary to have it too big? I also wonder if
    this could be the reason my machine drags sometimes, even though I've
    never seen this warning before.

    , Jan 7, 2004
  7. why? Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:49:47 -0500, wrote:

    >Thanks for the replies. There is no MinSPs=xxx line in my system.ini
    >file at all. How do I edit the file to add the line? Is it a text file I
    >can open in Windows?

    You may not have noticed in the article mentioned it
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q149/0/83.asp
    has editing instructions for 4 versions of Windows.

    >>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 13:59:23 -0500, wrote:
    >>
    >>>I booted my computer today, and before I got to Windows 98SE, I got a
    >>>blue screen of death with the following message:
    >>> Windows
    >>>Terminating thread due to a stack overflow problem.
    >>>A VxD, possibly recently installed, has consumed too much stack space.
    >>>Increase the settings of Minsps in system.ini or remove recently

    <snip>

    why?, Jan 7, 2004