stability problems...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nova, Apr 12, 2005.

  1. nova

    nova Guest

    a couple of months ago I bought a
    sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card

    I have only in the last few days found any spare time to play some games
    and really to use the whole machine that it is on..

    the machine consists of..

    Pentium 4 2.8
    2 * 120 gig drives not sata :(
    DVD burnder
    cd writer/burner
    flppy drive
    400 watt Acbel PSU
    windows xp professional

    Now when I start playing a game, sometimes it will freeze, then unfreeze..
    sometimes it just freezes permanently... and locks the entire OS up.
    Other times it will blue screen (i didnt catch the error unfortunately)

    I have run memtest86 on the memory for like 6 hours and not a problem.
    I have the latest nvidia drivers, latest patches for games but it
    happens on more than just one game.

    So I am thinking it's either heat..., graphics card... or maybe power?

    You think an acbel 400 watt psu is enough for above with everything
    running at full draw?

    as far as heat goes, im just using the fan that came with the pentium 4
    which seems to keep it reasonable cool. and i have 4 case fans, and
    theres a pretty nice air current moving through the machine....

    anyway ideas on narrowing it down?

    thanks

    nova, Apr 12, 2005

  2. nova

    nova Guest

    nova wrote:
    > a couple of months ago I bought a
    > sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card
    >
    > I have only in the last few days found any spare time to play some games
    > and really to use the whole machine that it is on..
    >
    > the machine consists of..
    >
    > Pentium 4 2.8
    > 2 * 120 gig drives not sata :(
    > DVD burnder
    > cd writer/burner
    > flppy drive
    > 400 watt Acbel PSU
    > windows xp professional
    >
    > Now when I start playing a game, sometimes it will freeze, then unfreeze..
    > sometimes it just freezes permanently... and locks the entire OS up.
    > Other times it will blue screen (i didnt catch the error unfortunately)
    >
    > I have run memtest86 on the memory for like 6 hours and not a problem.
    > I have the latest nvidia drivers, latest patches for games but it
    > happens on more than just one game.
    >
    > So I am thinking it's either heat..., graphics card... or maybe power?
    >
    > You think an acbel 400 watt psu is enough for above with everything
    > running at full draw?
    >
    > as far as heat goes, im just using the fan that came with the pentium 4
    > which seems to keep it reasonable cool. and i have 4 case fans, and
    > theres a pretty nice air current moving through the machine....
    >
    > anyway ideas on narrowing it down?
    >
    > thanks

    Oh it has a gig of memory 2*512megs in dual channel mode
    and the mboard is a
    ASUS p4c800-e

    not sure if that is relevant, but just incase..

    nova, Apr 12, 2005

  3. On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:35:36 +1200, nova <> wrote:

    >a couple of months ago I bought a
    >sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card
    >
    >I have only in the last few days found any spare time to play some games
    >and really to use the whole machine that it is on..
    >
    >the machine consists of..
    >
    >Pentium 4 2.8
    >2 * 120 gig drives not sata :(
    >DVD burnder
    >cd writer/burner
    >flppy drive
    >400 watt Acbel PSU
    >windows xp professional
    >
    >Now when I start playing a game, sometimes it will freeze, then unfreeze..
    >sometimes it just freezes permanently... and locks the entire OS up.
    >Other times it will blue screen (i didnt catch the error unfortunately)

    If it bluescreens there should be an entry in the event log
    Right click My COmputer click on Manage
    Then read the event log to find the error

    >I have run memtest86 on the memory for like 6 hours and not a problem.

    Doesn't prove anything
    I had a system memtest86'd OK, still had a RAM problem as soon as I
    took out the extra Ram I had put in it stopped crashing

    FreedomChooser, Apr 12, 2005
  4. On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:39:45 +1200, nova <> wrote:

    >nova wrote:
    >> a couple of months ago I bought a
    >> sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card
    >>
    >> I have only in the last few days found any spare time to play some games
    >> and really to use the whole machine that it is on..
    >>
    >> the machine consists of..
    >>
    >> Pentium 4 2.8
    >> 2 * 120 gig drives not sata :(
    >> DVD burnder
    >> cd writer/burner
    >> flppy drive
    >> 400 watt Acbel PSU
    >> windows xp professional
    >>
    >> Now when I start playing a game, sometimes it will freeze, then unfreeze..
    >> sometimes it just freezes permanently... and locks the entire OS up.
    >> Other times it will blue screen (i didnt catch the error unfortunately)
    >>
    >> I have run memtest86 on the memory for like 6 hours and not a problem.
    >> I have the latest nvidia drivers, latest patches for games but it
    >> happens on more than just one game.
    >>
    >> So I am thinking it's either heat..., graphics card... or maybe power?
    >>
    >> You think an acbel 400 watt psu is enough for above with everything
    >> running at full draw?
    >>
    >> as far as heat goes, im just using the fan that came with the pentium 4
    >> which seems to keep it reasonable cool. and i have 4 case fans, and
    >> theres a pretty nice air current moving through the machine....
    >>
    >> anyway ideas on narrowing it down?
    >>
    >> thanks

    >Oh it has a gig of memory 2*512megs in dual channel mode
    >and the mboard is a
    >ASUS p4c800-e
    >
    >not sure if that is relevant, but just incase..

    brandh of memory?

    FreedomChooser, Apr 12, 2005
  5. nova

    nova Guest

    FreedomChooser wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:35:36 +1200, nova <> wrote:
    >

    >>a couple of months ago I bought a
    >>sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card
    >>
    >>I have only in the last few days found any spare time to play some games
    >>and really to use the whole machine that it is on..
    >>
    >>the machine consists of..
    >>
    >>Pentium 4 2.8
    >>2 * 120 gig drives not sata :(
    >>DVD burnder
    >>cd writer/burner
    >>flppy drive
    >>400 watt Acbel PSU
    >>windows xp professional
    >>
    >>Now when I start playing a game, sometimes it will freeze, then unfreeze..
    >>sometimes it just freezes permanently... and locks the entire OS up.
    >>Other times it will blue screen (i didnt catch the error unfortunately)

    > If it bluescreens there should be an entry in the event log
    > Right click My COmputer click on Manage
    > Then read the event log to find the error

    Error code 10000050, parameter1 e44f5934, parameter2 00000000,
    parameter3 bfa6e735, parameter4 00000001.

    >>I have run memtest86 on the memory for like 6 hours and not a problem.

    > Doesn't prove anything
    > I had a system memtest86'd OK, still had a RAM problem as soon as I
    > took out the extra Ram I had put in it stopped crashing

    the memory is twinmos and I dont think its the memory, while i say i
    dont use the machine, it has been running things like seti for a few
    weeks and never crashed once.

    Yet when i run a 3d game within a couple of minutes boom...

    nova, Apr 12, 2005
  6. nova

    Me Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:35:36 +1200, nova <> wrote:

    >a couple of months ago I bought a
    >sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card

    Take out all the optional hardware eg floppy, cd and DV drives...
    test stabiltiy and replace items one at a time...
    maybe try a basic video card...

    Me, Apr 12, 2005
  7. nova

    nova Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > Sounds like video RAM.
    >
    > Can you try another either identical graphics card or a totally different
    > one?

    I could try and get my hands on one... I just ran rivatuner which
    records temperatures while you play a game..
    It seemed to get up to about 110 degrees... whats hot for a video card
    these days?

    nova, Apr 12, 2005
  8. nova

    Tim Guest

    Tim, Apr 12, 2005
  9. nova

    ~misfit~ Guest

    nova wrote:
    > Tim wrote:
    >> Sounds like video RAM.
    >>
    >> Can you try another either identical graphics card or a totally
    >> different one?
    >>

    > I could try and get my hands on one... I just ran rivatuner which
    > records temperatures while you play a game..
    > It seemed to get up to about 110 degrees... whats hot for a video card
    > these days?

    110 degrees. Very hot. That's if it's °C.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 12, 2005
  10. nova

    James West Guest

    "nova" <> wrote in message
    > Tim wrote:
    >> Sounds like video RAM.
    >>
    >> Can you try another either identical graphics card or a totally different
    >> one?
    >>

    > I could try and get my hands on one... I just ran rivatuner which records
    > temperatures while you play a game..
    > It seemed to get up to about 110 degrees... whats hot for a video card
    > these days?

    sounds HOT

    my 6600 Gigabyte runs at about 63 idle and 66 in game (Farcry)
    some 6600 have problems with heatsink fittings if you mishandle on install
    it can break the thermal bond form GPU to sink

    James

    James West, Apr 12, 2005
  11. nova

    CSE Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:02:56 +1200, "James West" <> wrote:

    >"nova" <> wrote in message
    >> Tim wrote:
    >>> Sounds like video RAM.
    >>>
    >>> Can you try another either identical graphics card or a totally different
    >>> one?
    >>>

    >> I could try and get my hands on one... I just ran rivatuner which records
    >> temperatures while you play a game..
    >> It seemed to get up to about 110 degrees... whats hot for a video card
    >> these days?

    >sounds HOT
    >
    >my 6600 Gigabyte runs at about 63 idle and 66 in game (Farcry)
    >some 6600 have problems with heatsink fittings if you mishandle on install
    >it can break the thermal bond form GPU to sink
    >
    >James

    So what brand is yours, as I will soon be updating mine..

    May be his Fan is not running..

    CSE, Apr 12, 2005
  12. nova

    grolschie Guest

    "nova" <> wrote in message
    > a couple of months ago I bought a
    > sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card
    >
    > I have only in the last few days found any spare time to play some

    games
    > and really to use the whole machine that it is on..
    >
    > the machine consists of..
    >
    > Pentium 4 2.8
    > 2 * 120 gig drives not sata :(
    > DVD burnder
    > cd writer/burner
    > flppy drive
    > 400 watt Acbel PSU
    > windows xp professional
    >
    > Now when I start playing a game, sometimes it will freeze, then

    unfreeze..
    > sometimes it just freezes permanently... and locks the entire OS up.
    > Other times it will blue screen (i didnt catch the error

    unfortunately)

    > I have run memtest86 on the memory for like 6 hours and not a

    problem.
    > I have the latest nvidia drivers, latest patches for games but it
    > happens on more than just one game.
    >
    > So I am thinking it's either heat..., graphics card... or maybe

    power?

    > You think an acbel 400 watt psu is enough for above with everything
    > running at full draw?
    >
    > as far as heat goes, im just using the fan that came with the

    pentium 4
    > which seems to keep it reasonable cool. and i have 4 case fans, and
    > theres a pretty nice air current moving through the machine....
    >
    > anyway ideas on narrowing it down?
    >
    > thanks

    Tried different Detonators? Some are flakey.

    grolschie, Apr 12, 2005
  13. nova

    nova Guest

    James West wrote:
    > "nova" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>>Sounds like video RAM.
    >>>
    >>>Can you try another either identical graphics card or a totally different
    >>>one?
    >>>

    >>I could try and get my hands on one... I just ran rivatuner which records
    >>temperatures while you play a game..
    >>It seemed to get up to about 110 degrees... whats hot for a video card
    >>these days?

    > sounds HOT
    >
    > my 6600 Gigabyte runs at about 63 idle and 66 in game (Farcry)
    > some 6600 have problems with heatsink fittings if you mishandle on install
    > it can break the thermal bond form GPU to sink
    >
    > James

    Yeah I spent most of the day looking around the net.. and mine is
    definitely running hot.. I think it must be the heatsink fitting is off
    or something... idle its 70 degrees, i ran rivatuner again while using
    battlefield and the system failed, i then logged at the rivatuner logs
    and the video card was reocrding temperatures of 127 celcius...

    The ambient temperature in the case is just 34 degrees...
    I checked the fan on the sparkle card, defintely running...

    but everyone else ive seen in forums talking about gpu temps are talking
    about the range you have.. so mines got crazy somewhere...

    ill take it back to the shop tomorrow..

    i had to re-flash the damn thing to enable the temperature sensors on
    it.. stupid how some brans disable that..

    thanks

    nova, Apr 12, 2005
  14. nova wrote:
    >> Sounds like video RAM.

    >> Can you try another either identical graphics card or a totally
    >> different one?

    > I could try and get my hands on one... I just ran rivatuner which
    > records temperatures while you play a game..
    > It seemed to get up to about 110 degrees... whats hot for a video card
    > these days?

    110 degrees C.

    Mine starts my machine locking up when it hits 98

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 12, 2005
  15. nova wrote:
    >>> It seemed to get up to about 110 degrees... whats hot for a video
    >>> card these days?

    > i had to re-flash the damn thing to enable the temperature sensors on
    > it.. stupid how some brans disable that..

    ever wonder why they disable it?

    seems a likely reason.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 12, 2005
  16. nova

    Nova Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> i had to re-flash the damn thing to enable the temperature sensors on
    >> it.. stupid how some brans disable that..

    > ever wonder why they disable it?
    >
    > seems a likely reason.

    well supposedly it's to discourage overclockers.. but overclockers are
    the type of people that will go the extra mile to find a hacked bios
    anyway so its pointless, all it does is prevents people from checking if
    the card is running at a healty temperature..

    If I hadn't found how to enable it in the bios, i wouldnt have had a
    clue that the problems were due to heat.. Theres a reason why nvidia
    put the temperature sensors there in the first place..

    well thats my 2 cents..

    :)

    Nova, Apr 13, 2005