!st ever HD master install, using maxblast bios limitation ddo.. tips pls.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fred-C, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. Fred-C

    Fred-C Guest

    Right, I wud class myself as a total noob , just over a year i hav used a
    computer, I have a compaq deskpro , intel pent. 647 mhz, bios 686T2, mobo =
    compaq 041Ch , and i have currently a 10 gig seagate master, with a 4 gig
    slave (for music and jpg's).. I have ran out of memory, so i bought, without
    checking my system ... a maxtor 80 gig 7200rpm hdd, but apparently i have to
    use 'maxblast 4' cos my system nly recognises 16 of the 80..

    So i am all set to do a drive overlay, i think .. have i done this right
    1. going to go into bios and tell comp there is NO hard disks. after taking
    them out!
    2. going to install the 80 as master, so after i connect it, i then turn the
    power on, and boot the system from 'maxblast 4'
    3. choose 'make drive changes' ..or maxblas t will detect these for me, as i
    am unsure wether or not i have 'auto detect' and when the program shows me
    the 'recommended LBA' i choose 'carry on/next'
    4.Turn off power, restart, enter BIOS and 'save and exit'
    5.Boot to floppy again, goto utilities..and use 'set up hard drive' this
    should do the DDO for me
    6.partition and format .... i hope/pray
    7.Maxblast apparently shud now do its special thing where it gets me more
    memory??
    8.I then choose 'set hard drive size myself, and for some reason, this
    should be specified by the ' Native LBA Number' .. presumably 80, or 80,000
    depending upon units.
    9.I imagine i then save and exit, or carry out the orders from there ...

    For those who have done this all before, have i got things right...as i
    still do not know if i get a 2nd chance? Thanks - Fred C - really
    appreciate some help here!

    Fred-C, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Fred-C

    philo Guest

    Fred-C wrote:

    > Right, I wud class myself as a total noob , just over a year i hav used a
    > computer, I have a compaq deskpro , intel pent. 647 mhz, bios 686T2, mobo
    > = compaq 041Ch , and i have currently a 10 gig seagate master, with a 4
    > gig slave (for music and jpg's).. I have ran out of memory,

    memory is your RAM
    do not mix it up with free space on your HD

    > so i bought,
    > without checking my system ... a maxtor 80 gig 7200rpm hdd, but apparently
    > i have to use 'maxblast 4' cos my system nly recognises 16 of the 80..

    if your bios only "sees" the drive as 16 gigs...
    then you are right...you will need to install the overlay...
    however if you are using win98 and fdisk...
    you may only need to get the newer version of fdisk...
    such as from a winME bootdisk that you can get from
    www.bootisk.com

    otherwise just follow the instructions that came with your new HD

    philo, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Fred-C

    Trax Guest

    "Fred-C" <> wrote:

    |>Right, I wud class myself as a total noob , just over a year i hav used a
    |>computer, I have a compaq deskpro , intel pent. 647 mhz, bios 686T2, mobo =
    |>compaq 041Ch , and i have currently a 10 gig seagate master, with a 4 gig
    |>slave (for music and jpg's).. I have ran out of memory, so i bought, without
    |>checking my system ... a maxtor 80 gig 7200rpm hdd, but apparently i have to
    |>use 'maxblast 4' cos my system nly recognises 16 of the 80..
    |>
    |>So i am all set to do a drive overlay, i think .. have i done this right
    |>1. going to go into bios and tell comp there is NO hard disks. after taking
    |>them out!
    |>2. going to install the 80 as master, so after i connect it, i then turn the
    |>power on, and boot the system from 'maxblast 4'
    |>3. choose 'make drive changes' ..or maxblas t will detect these for me, as i
    |>am unsure wether or not i have 'auto detect' and when the program shows me
    |>the 'recommended LBA' i choose 'carry on/next'
    |>4.Turn off power, restart, enter BIOS and 'save and exit'
    |>5.Boot to floppy again, goto utilities..and use 'set up hard drive' this
    |>should do the DDO for me
    |>6.partition and format .... i hope/pray

    I would expect that maxiblast will want to create 4 partitions, each
    20gigs (last one less) - it's as large as you can go.

    Let maxiblast partition your Hard Drive, then save sector 0 (MBR);
    maxiblast has the option. Then if anything happens to your HD you can
    run Maxiblast and restore the MBR.

    --
    http://www.onahorse.com/

    Trax, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Fred-C

    Trax Guest

    "Fred-C" <> wrote:

    |>For those who have done this all before, have i got things right...as i
    |>still do not know if i get a 2nd chance?

    You've got as many chances as you want, the first time is pretty much
    automatic, don't be afraid to snoop around in the maxiblast program.

    --
    http://www.onahorse.com/

    Trax, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Fred-C

    PC Guest

    "Fred-C" <> wrote in message
    > Right, I wud class myself as a total noob , just over a year i hav used a
    > computer, I have a compaq deskpro , intel pent. 647 mhz, bios 686T2, mobo
    > =
    > compaq 041Ch , and i have currently a 10 gig seagate master, with a 4 gig
    > slave (for music and jpg's).. I have ran out of memory, so i bought,
    > without
    > checking my system ... a maxtor 80 gig 7200rpm hdd, but apparently i have
    > use 'maxblast 4' cos my system nly recognises 16 of the 80..
    >
    > So i am all set to do a drive overlay, i think .. have i done this right
    > 1. going to go into bios and tell comp there is NO hard disks. after
    > taking
    > them out!
    > 2. going to install the 80 as master, so after i connect it, i then turn
    > the
    > power on, and boot the system from 'maxblast 4'
    > 3. choose 'make drive changes' ..or maxblas t will detect these for me, as
    > am unsure wether or not i have 'auto detect' and when the program shows me
    > the 'recommended LBA' i choose 'carry on/next'
    > 4.Turn off power, restart, enter BIOS and 'save and exit'
    > 5.Boot to floppy again, goto utilities..and use 'set up hard drive' this
    > should do the DDO for me
    > 6.partition and format .... i hope/pray
    > 7.Maxblast apparently shud now do its special thing where it gets me more
    > memory??
    > 8.I then choose 'set hard drive size myself, and for some reason, this
    > should be specified by the ' Native LBA Number' .. presumably 80, or
    > 80,000
    > depending upon units.
    > 9.I imagine i then save and exit, or carry out the orders from there ...
    >
    > For those who have done this all before, have i got things right...as i
    > still do not know if i get a 2nd chance? Thanks - Fred C - really
    > appreciate some help here!

    Check for the instructions accompanying the MaxBlast program.
    Print.
    Read.
    Follow.
    Repeat as required.