sss = Sony Still Sucks

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Dan, Dec 22, 2004.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Hi, after past experiences with Sony products failing just after
    warranty and not really up-to-par even while IN-warranty, I figured
    repairing a Sony Vaio notebook wouldn't be too big a deal. I figured
    maybe my bad experienes was just a fluke. Maybe their support is a
    little better now.

    So the hard drive went bad in this Vaio...no biggie, happens all the
    time. The Dell I swapped out a few months ago was a piece of cake,
    and this looks like the same type. Simply replace HD and re-install
    windows 98. The owner said she had Win98 previously installed, but
    doesn't have the original recovery CDs.

    Think it's that easy? Naw.

    Turns out theres SPECIAL software that needs to be installed with
    windows 98. Things like a "sony notebook control device utility", and
    a "sony EXTENDED BIOS dynamic link library" and even a "sony UTILITY
    dynamic link library". This is software that's NOT OFFERED on their
    website, but which are required by every OTHER support software
    offered. Dont have the above utils? TOO BAD (it's not on the 'net,
    either)

    And to top it all off, the Vaio shuts down erratically. Out of
    nowhere in regular 98-mode, pewwwww...<everything shuts off>. Safe
    mode is still "safe"....safe without even a CD-ROM drive available.

    So, just wanted to say that SONY STILL SUCKS. They don't even provide
    the recovery CD on their parts site, let alone the free software
    support...talk about a catch-22, you need the recovery CD utils, but
    you can't even BUY them from Sony (and every web site trying to sell
    copies seems to have been conveniently "removed")

    HEY SONY, STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON STOCKHOLDERS AND YOUR LEGAL
    DEPARTMENT AND START SPENDING IT ON THE CUSTOMER AGAIN

    Dan
    Dan, Dec 22, 2004

  2. Dan

    Remo Guest

    I always hated any type of laptops just for the fact they are so proprietary
    like you said. Plus I have had bad experience with an IBM ThinkPad. What
    you think of Sony Laptops I think the same about IBM. They also have this
    proprietary software called Mware thats also a pain in the ass. You can get
    hold of it from the internet but I still have an old 100Mhz Thinkpad rotting
    away in a cupboard under the stairs just because I carn't get the thing to
    work anymore..

    Remo A+

    Remo, Dec 22, 2004

  3. Dan

    Bum Guest

    "Remo" <> wrote in

    > Plus I have had bad experience with an IBM ThinkPad. What
    > you think of Sony Laptops I think the same about IBM. They also have
    > this proprietary software called Mware thats also a pain in the ass.

    Chuckle when I read the original message I could not help but think of the
    stink pads and my days of having 3Com, IBM,and M$ Engineers scratching
    their heads for some the installation problems ... all because IBM wrote
    drivers for one nic for one hardware platform under one M$ OS and decided
    it was good for all ..
    Bum, Dec 22, 2004
  4. Dan

    Nil Guest

    On 22 Dec 2004, "Remo" <> wrote in

    > Plus I have had bad experience with an IBM ThinkPad. What you
    > think of Sony Laptops I think the same about IBM.

    Not to mention that the Thinkpad's periperals are all specific to
    one model, so you can't use, say the external floppy from one on
    another. Makes it hard to have a stable of spare parts, unless you
    spend a lot of money, and don't mind buying parts that will never be
    used. Unless things have changed in the past couple of years, which
    I think is unlikely.

    Thinkpads... I hate 'em.
    Nil, Dec 22, 2004
  5. Dan

    Guest

    , Dec 24, 2004
  6. Dan

    News Will Guest

    You might be interested in a communication from Sony regarding the software
    in a 2 year old IDTV.

    They obviously don't give a fcuk.

    It's the last Sony I buy.
    Just replaced the dying Sony 20" in the bedroom, over the weekend with a
    Thomson got in the sales.
    Here's their response...

    Dear xxxxxx

    Thank you for your recent e-mail. Please allow me to apologise for the delay
    in replying.

    First I would like to advise you that the recent software upgrades have been
    to update the software in newer model televisions, to eliminate the banner
    sticking and enable the sets to receive the 7 day Electronic Programme
    Guide.

    In regards to the software version you are running on your TV this is up to
    date and requires no change. Unfortunately the first generation integrated
    digital sets such as your KV28DX30 will never be compatible with the current
    BBC multiscreen transmissions, 7 day Electronic Programme Guide and will
    struggle with the digital teletext (best not to use it). It is simply not
    possible to update the software in the set to allow them to fully decrypt
    the signal format used in the Freeview broadcasts. The reason for this is
    that the first generation software was designed to a specification provided
    by ITV Digital prior to their demise. Obviously, for reasons beyond the
    control of television manufacturers, ITV Digital went into receivership and
    free to air digital broadcasting ceased. There is now a consortium
    consisting, amongst others, of the BBC and Sky who have begun transmission
    of the Freeview service. Whilst the actual programmes and digital text can
    be received by your set, the interactive services cannot be accessed by the
    software because it requires the use of different protocols than those
    employed for the original ITV Digital version.

    I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

    With Regards

    xxxxxxxxxx
    For and on behalf of
    Sony United Kingdom Limited
    Customer Information Centre
    News Will, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Dan

    «BONEHEAD>> Guest

    "News Will" <> wrote in message
    > You might be interested in a communication from Sony regarding the

    software
    > in a 2 year old IDTV.
    >
    > They obviously don't give a fcuk.
    >
    > It's the last Sony I buy.
    > Just replaced the dying Sony 20" in the bedroom, over the weekend with a
    > Thomson got in the sales.
    > Here's their response...
    >

    > Dear xxxxxx
    >
    > Thank you for your recent e-mail. Please allow me to apologise for the

    delay
    > in replying.
    >
    > First I would like to advise you that the recent software upgrades have

    been
    > to update the software in newer model televisions, to eliminate the banner
    > sticking and enable the sets to receive the 7 day Electronic Programme
    > Guide.
    >
    > In regards to the software version you are running on your TV this is up

    > date and requires no change. Unfortunately the first generation integrated
    > digital sets such as your KV28DX30 will never be compatible with the

    current
    > BBC multiscreen transmissions, 7 day Electronic Programme Guide and will
    > struggle with the digital teletext (best not to use it). It is simply not
    > possible to update the software in the set to allow them to fully decrypt
    > the signal format used in the Freeview broadcasts. The reason for this is
    > that the first generation software was designed to a specification

    provided
    > by ITV Digital prior to their demise. Obviously, for reasons beyond the
    > control of television manufacturers, ITV Digital went into receivership

    and
    > free to air digital broadcasting ceased. There is now a consortium
    > consisting, amongst others, of the BBC and Sky who have begun transmission
    > of the Freeview service. Whilst the actual programmes and digital text can
    > be received by your set, the interactive services cannot be accessed by

    the
    > software because it requires the use of different protocols than those
    > employed for the original ITV Digital version.
    >
    > I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause.
    >
    > With Regards
    >
    > xxxxxxxxxx
    > For and on behalf of
    > Sony United Kingdom Limited
    > Customer Information Centre

    It seems they have provided you with a reasonable explanation... If the
    protocols your TV was built with became obsolete due to no fault at Sony
    how can you bitch about Sony.. Grow up
    --
    <B0N3H3@D>
    «BONEHEAD>>, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Dan

    News Will Guest

    "??BONEHEAD>>" <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > It seems they have provided you with a reasonable explanation... If the
    > protocols your TV was built with became obsolete due to no fault at Sony
    > how can you bitch about Sony.. Grow up

    In 2 years? A child couldn't grow up in that tmie.

    There's still nearly 3 years of warranty left.
    News Will, Jan 4, 2005