SSID for multiple access points

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Indy Tech, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. Indy Tech

    Indy Tech Guest

    howdy all,

    Let me start off by saying I have searched online for answers to this
    question, but apparently haven't been able to discover the right syntax to
    turn up my answers. With that said, feel free to post abusive or stupid

    I am deploying a WLAN to cover 3 warehouses. We will be using this network
    to keep Compaq iPaq's in contact with an inventory application. I did the
    initial setup, and gave each of the APs distinct SSID names. The iPaqs
    cannot roam between them

    As this client is 120 miles away, I wanted to establish before I drove back
    down there: Can I give all 3 APs the same SSID name, or do they need to be
    unique?

    Thanks in advance for all information!

    Jim Peterson, A+, Net+, MCSE
    Indy Tech

    To e-mail me, remove everything between
    "att" and ".net" in my e-mail address.

    ---
    Indy Tech, Jul 6, 2004

  2. Indy Tech

    Sooner Al Guest

    The AP SSIDs, I believe, should all be the same but the individual APs should be set to different
    channels...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Indy Tech" <> wrote in message
    > howdy all,
    >
    > Let me start off by saying I have searched online for answers to this
    > question, but apparently haven't been able to discover the right syntax to
    > turn up my answers. With that said, feel free to post abusive or stupid
    >
    > I am deploying a WLAN to cover 3 warehouses. We will be using this network
    > to keep Compaq iPaq's in contact with an inventory application. I did the
    > initial setup, and gave each of the APs distinct SSID names. The iPaqs
    > cannot roam between them
    >
    > As this client is 120 miles away, I wanted to establish before I drove back
    > down there: Can I give all 3 APs the same SSID name, or do they need to be
    > unique?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for all information!

    > Jim Peterson, A+, Net+, MCSE
    > Indy Tech
    >
    > To e-mail me, remove everything between
    > "att" and ".net" in my e-mail address.
    >

    > ---

    ---
    Sooner Al, Jul 6, 2004

  3. Indy Tech

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Indy Tech" <> wrote in message
    > howdy all,
    >
    > Let me start off by saying I have searched online for answers to this
    > question, but apparently haven't been able to discover the right syntax to
    > turn up my answers. With that said, feel free to post abusive or stupid
    >
    > I am deploying a WLAN to cover 3 warehouses. We will be using this network
    > to keep Compaq iPaq's in contact with an inventory application. I did the
    > initial setup, and gave each of the APs distinct SSID names. The iPaqs
    > cannot roam between them
    >
    > As this client is 120 miles away, I wanted to establish before I drove back
    > down there: Can I give all 3 APs the same SSID name, or do they need to be
    > unique?

    You want to reproduce the real config well, therefore the SSIDs should be
    different-
    as they are on the target system.

    --PA
    Pavel A., Jul 7, 2004
  4. Indy Tech

    Cat Guest

    Giving the same SSID might make your live a little easy while configuring
    computers that might be used in all locations. Otherwise it probably does
    not matter.

    About SSID.

    SSID should be the same across the Network changing SSID will not do any
    thing for you to begin with.

    Under normal circumstances every Wireless within the range of a Wireless
    Network will register when client card scan the Air regardless of the SSID.

    However the mere appearances of another Wireless Networks do not mean that
    actual packets of information are exchanged.

    If your WPA (WEP) is ON and or MAC filtering is used there will be No
    exchange of info.

    If you want your client to pick only your system you can check the preferred
    Network Setting and insert you're SSID (preferred Network is under the
    Wireless Network tab in WinXP, and or might be in your client cards
    drivers).

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Cat, Jul 7, 2004
  5. "Sooner Al" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > The AP SSIDs, I believe, should all be the same but the individual APs should be set to different
    > channels...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Indy Tech" <> wrote in message
    > > howdy all,
    > >
    > > Let me start off by saying I have searched online for answers to this
    > > question, but apparently haven't been able to discover the right syntax to
    > > turn up my answers. With that said, feel free to post abusive or stupid
    > >
    > > I am deploying a WLAN to cover 3 warehouses. We will be using this network
    > > to keep Compaq iPaq's in contact with an inventory application. I did the
    > > initial setup, and gave each of the APs distinct SSID names. The iPaqs
    > > cannot roam between them
    > >
    > > As this client is 120 miles away, I wanted to establish before I drove back
    > > down there: Can I give all 3 APs the same SSID name, or do they need to be
    > > unique?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for all information!

    > > Jim Peterson, A+, Net+, MCSE
    > > Indy Tech
    > >
    > > To e-mail me, remove everything between
    > > "att" and ".net" in my e-mail address.
    > >

    > > ---
    > >

    > ---

    Al is correct. All the AP's can have the same SSID, but any AP that is
    near another AP should be on a different channel. This part is
    probably the most challenging as you can only use 3 channels to be
    sure that there is no overlap.

    I implemented a wireless solution in a corporate HQ using about 70
    AP's. Every AP used the same SSID but AP's nearest each other on the
    same floor used different channels as far as possible. There were
    generally 4 AP's per floor, so two AP's that were diagonally opposite
    had to use the same channel. The AP transmit power was set to 1mw, and
    we didn't suffer from any problems. We were able to roam around the
    whole building with a laptop connected to the WLAN and maintain our
    network connection (constantly running a ping -t to a target address,
    plus other more demanding tests as well).

    The transmit power settings in a warehouse may need to be set
    differently though, depending on whether there is high racking or not,
    what type of materials are stored, etc.

    Pete
    Pete Mainwaring, Jul 7, 2004
  6. Actually, for proper roaming, the APs MUST have the same SSID. The channels
    will be different and distant by at least 2 to avoid interference. The
    biggest the difference between channel numbers, better.

    --
    Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
    http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

    > > The AP SSIDs, I believe, should all be the same but the individual APs

    should be set to different
    > > channels...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >
    > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual

    benefit of all of us...
    > > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    rights...

    Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile Devices, Jul 7, 2004
  7. You won't be able to roam between the APs and within the same network if the
    SSIDs are different.

    Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile Devices, Jul 7, 2004
  8. Thanks guys... this has been one of the most informative threads I have
    accessed this year.

    Thanks,
    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Jul 7, 2004
  9. Indy Tech

    Indy Tech Guest

    Glad I could ask the right question ;)

    JP

    message news:%23yd$...

    Indy Tech, Jul 9, 2004
  10. Indy Tech

    Indy Tech Guest

    Thanks, all, for the helpful info. We ended up with the 3 APs on the right
    SSID, and as they are all in a row, we put the center on on channel 11 and
    the end ones on channel 1, because I noticed a weak signal from a
    neighboring business on channel 6.

    All is well.

    JP

    Indy Tech, Jul 9, 2004
  11. Indy Tech

    ericbullock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    This is one of the only places I have seen this issue addressed, so thanks to everyone who has posted! I have more questions about this though:

    1) In order to have multiple AP's broadcasting the same SSID's (on different channels) does the hardware need to support "roaming"?

    2) What happens if they ARE all on the same channel? Apple told me that this works with their hardware as the Airport base stations have functions in place to avoid interfering with one another (again, roaming support in the hardware?).

    3) What about mixing manufacturers? For instance, can I have Linksys and Apple hardware mixed together and still have it work?

    Thanks,

    -eric-
    ericbullock, Oct 6, 2006
  12. Indy Tech

    warpyb1

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Same Issue

    Dear Team,

    I am setting up the same sort of network we have 8 AP's all with the same SSID. However when at a clients machine it jumps from a strong signal to weak then disconnects then it will jump from high to low again and disconnect.
    The devices are PoE and are Netgear WG302 connecting to a FVS 318 for routing and a netgear PoE switch fs116p.

    Your help with this would be really appricated as I am not sure whats happening

    Mick
    warpyb1, Feb 26, 2009
  13. Indy Tech

    Felipe Zebillin

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Help

    Hello Pete,

    I've tried to do the same thing with 2 access points with the same SSID but I had some dificults to configurate the IPs. I have a modem ADSL that connect to Internet via PPOE. The first AP is connect to the modem in WAN port and the second is connect to the first AP in WAN port too. Can I use the same IP into 2 APs?

    Thanks
    Felipe

[...]

    Pete[/QUOTE]
    Felipe Zebillin, Jul 10, 2009