ssid broadcasting from my netgear router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Craig, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. Craig

    Craig Guest

    Hi

    i have setup my wireless net at home and have been reading a bit into
    security, it left me wondering about whether to broadcast the ssid from the
    router.

    there are a few wireless networks in the neighbourhood and i can see them
    from my laptop, i can also see they have no security setup which seems a bit
    mad

    Now if i can see theirs then they can obviously see mine, so if i turn off
    broadcast ssid on my router, then they cant see the network in the available
    list (i hope this true!) but how do i connect to it if it does not
    automatically appear in the available networks

    Cheers and TIA

    Craig, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Craig

    Sooner Al Guest

    There is no good reason to not broadcast the SSID. The SSID can be easily obtained by tools like
    Kismet even when cloaked. Your much better off using 128-bit WEP or better yet WPA if your hardware
    supports it...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309369

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870702

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313242

    Personally I use WPA-PSK (TKIP) with a very long random key on my home network...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al, Oct 7, 2004

  3. Craig

    Craig Guest

    i have wpa- psk setup which i hope is keeping people out, the router is
    running a firewall and filtering mac addresses. i have also turned on
    wireless confinement so the wireless pc's cant see each other. on the pc it
    has a firewall running on that

    i guess there is not much left

    Cheers

    Craig, Oct 7, 2004
  4. Craig

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Craig" <> wrote in message news:416561f3$0$20314$...
    > but how do i connect to it if it does not
    > automatically appear in the available networks

    Just add your AP into the lower pane of the Wireless networks dialog box
    (in SP2 - click on Advanced configuration to open it).
    Enter the SSID, encryption keys etc. This adds it to Preferred networks list.
    Then you should get connection, and your SSID will appear in the available list,
    even though it is hidden.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Oct 7, 2004
  5. Craig

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    If another Wireless Signal is propagating in your reception area it might
    appear in your available Wireless Network. Nothing is wrong with this that
    is the way Wireless technology works (the Air around us does not
    discriminate signals).

    Using the measures of security is the step to insure that others can not use
    your signal, and vice versa.

    Wireless - BasicSecurity: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Oct 8, 2004