    Some people say it's a good thing. Makes the network more secure.

    Other sources, like I read in a LinkSys user guide, says it's actually safer NOT to broadcast the SSID.

    Which is it? Is it better to broadcast? or is it safer not to? Why? What are the advantages to broadcasting your SSID anyways?

    Lawrence A. Wong, Aug 2, 2005

  2. Lawrence A. Wong

    Malke Guest

    Lawrence A. Wong wrote:

    > I have heard various things about broadcasting SSIDs on the home
    > network.
    >
    > Some people say it's a good thing. Makes the network more secure.
    >
    > Other sources, like I read in a LinkSys user guide, says it's actually
    > safer NOT to broadcast the SSID.
    >
    > Which is it? Is it better to broadcast? or is it safer not to? Why?
    > What are the advantages to broadcasting your SSID anyways?

    Here are links that will explain:

    The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Aug 2, 2005

  3. Lawrence A. Wong

    Larry Guest

    From a technical standpoint, hiding the SSID isn't totally securing your network. HOWEVER, you do keep the average user from being able to find and jump on your network. I've lived in several places and have seen networks with SSID broadcast enabled. This happens alot in apartment complexes. When people configure their new wireless client, they could easily see your SSID and jump on without ever having to pay for their own Internet service. Someone determined with expertise and/or special software could find your network. The average person couldn't.

    As long as you know your SSID, you shouldn't have any trouble configuring any new clients on your network.
    In short...it couldn't hurt.

    Larry, Aug 9, 2005