SSID Broadcast

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Darren Li, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. Darren Li

    Darren Li Guest

    Hi:

    I am using MS Wireless Router.

    I have 3 questions:

    1. I disable the "Broadcast" inder SSID settings so ppl from outside can not
    see my AP. I also setup the SSID (with WEP) connection item under the
    wireless network adapter. After I restart my laptop, the wireless network
    adapter can not find my MS AP. Why??? I check all the SSID name and WEP
    settings, everything looks fine. So I enable the broadcast again and it
    works. What I've done wrong?

    2. What's the difference between "Open" and "Shared" for network
    authentication?

    3. After I setup the MAC ID filter. IS the WPS automatically disabled?
    (Because I have to manually enter the key.)

    Thank you very much.

    Darren L.

    Darren Li, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Check out the previous responses to Anna's "xp wireless :-((" post regarding
    hidden SSID's. I recommend that you do not use "shared" authentication or
    "hidden" SSID's.

    But shared auth and hidden SSID's don't buy much security in the long run
    and they can degrade the wireless experience.

    --
    Standard Disclaimers -
    and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

    Carl DaVault [MSFT], Oct 14, 2004

  3. Darren Li

    Darren Li Guest

    Hi, Carl:

    Thanks.

    So if I really want hidden SSID, I will need to update my NIC driver.

    But as you mentioned, hidden SSID doesn't help much, and windows will
    probably connect to neighbor's AP first. So I will probably leave it
    visible.

    Darren L.

    Darren Li, Oct 14, 2004
  4. Hi Darren,

    See the following MS KB Article.

    Your Computer Connects to an Access Point That Broadcasts Its SSID Instead
    of an Access Point That Does Not Broadcast its SSID
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427

    Eric Cross
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com