SSID Broadcast, WZC

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by John O, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. John O

    John O Guest

    I've got a Linksys WRT54G v5 wireless router connected to one desktop, and a
    WMP54G v4 NIC on another. Both running Win XP SP-2. The wired connection is
    perfect, and the wireless with and without WEP works fine.

    However, when I disable SSID broadcasts, I can't get the NIC to see the
    router. First, the Linksys Wireless Network Monitor v4.0 will only let me at
    the Profiles link *once.* The link to the Profiles tab won't work again
    unless I uninstall/reinstall...this program seems to be broken. Trying to do
    the config through Windows directly (is this WZC??) doesn't work either.

    Any ideas?

    Part 2: Do I need the Linksys Net Monitor at all?
    Is it possible I've broken the XP config thing by using them both? I'd like
    to know more about this Linksys/WZC issue if someone has a link.

    --I've read all the stuff about SSID/WEP and their lack of value in
    security, but I'm building a training program where I need to explore them
    regardless of these issues.

    -John O
    John O, Dec 23, 2005

  2. John O

    Dave Guest

    to use wzc the ssid broadcast must be on. there is no reason to turn it
    off, its just a false sense of added security.

    Dave, Dec 23, 2005

  3. John O

    Pavel A. Guest

    The wzc of xp sp2 can handle hidden SSIDs nicely.
    May be the problem arises because you use both WZC
    and Linksys utility. What if you uninstall it?
    Do you have latest drivers for the NIC?
    --PA

    Pavel A., Dec 24, 2005
  4. John O

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message news:...
    > to use wzc the ssid broadcast must be on. there is no reason to turn it off, its just a false sense of added security.

    This was common understanding some time ago.

    But since then I've been at several events held by Microsoft, where
    hotspots were set up with hidden SSID, and this worked perfectly with
    XP wireless client.

    So now I would not support broadcasting SSID any longer.
    Technically, broadcasting SSID is not required for WZC to work.
    If users like that sence of security - let them have it...

    Regards,
    --PA
    Pavel A., Dec 24, 2005
  5. John O

    John O Guest

    > The wzc of xp sp2 can handle hidden SSIDs nicely.
    > May be the problem arises because you use both WZC
    > and Linksys utility. What if you uninstall it?
    > Do you have latest drivers for the NIC?

    Linksys tech support sent me to a newer driver, 3.0.3.0 (4/21/2005). I
    *just* bought this NIC from amazon, and it came with a driver 2.2.3.0
    (3/27/04). Driver is updated, and I've uninstalled the Linksys utility, and
    prefer to use WZC.

    With the SSID being broadcast everything is working, I've got WPA active
    also. It's all good. So I now hide the SSID. I restart the client with the
    NIC, and I need to get at this 'hidden' router.

    It doesn't show up in the "View Wireless Networks" window, where I would
    choose a wireless net. (A nearby net is shown, but that's not the one I
    want).

    One level up, I see my network in the Preferred Networks list. It's called
    "doberman (Manual)". Its properties shows the "Connect when this network is
    in range" box checked, so I'm guessing the "(Manual)" thing is my issue.

    Any ideas?

    -John O
    John O, Dec 28, 2005
  6. John O

    John O Guest

    >> to use wzc the ssid broadcast must be on. there is no reason to turn it
    >> off, its just a false sense of added security.

    > This was common understanding some time ago.
    >
    > But since then I've been at several events held by Microsoft, where
    > hotspots were set up with hidden SSID, and this worked perfectly with
    > XP wireless client.
    >
    > So now I would not support broadcasting SSID any longer.
    > Technically, broadcasting SSID is not required for WZC to work.
    > If users like that sence of security - let them have it...

    Note in my original post the reason I want this...I'm in an educational
    setting where students need to see it and explore it. We'll cover the
    subjective security issues elsewhere in the curriculum.

    -John O
    John O, Dec 28, 2005
  7. John O

    John O Guest

    >> The wzc of xp sp2 can handle hidden SSIDs nicely.
    >> May be the problem arises because you use both WZC
    >> and Linksys utility. What if you uninstall it?
    >> Do you have latest drivers for the NIC?

    > Linksys tech support sent me to a newer driver, 3.0.3.0 (4/21/2005). I
    > *just* bought this NIC from amazon, and it came with a driver 2.2.3.0
    > (3/27/04). Driver is updated, and I've uninstalled the Linksys utility,
    > and prefer to use WZC.
    >
    > With the SSID being broadcast everything is working, I've got WPA active
    > also. It's all good. So I now hide the SSID. I restart the client with the
    > NIC, and I need to get at this 'hidden' router.
    >
    > It doesn't show up in the "View Wireless Networks" window, where I would
    > choose a wireless net. (A nearby net is shown, but that's not the one I
    > want).
    >
    > One level up, I see my network in the Preferred Networks list. It's called
    > "doberman (Manual)". Its properties shows the "Connect when this network
    > is in range" box checked, so I'm guessing the "(Manual)" thing is my
    > issue.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I got it...I had to create a new Preferred Network for this to work.

    So the process is: Install the NIC, load the newest driver, and create a new
    Preferred Network with the name of the hidden SSID.

    FWIW, the new Linksys Monitor won't even run.
    John O, Dec 28, 2005
  8. John O

    Pavel A. Guest

    "John O" <> wrote in message news:hvzsf.41104$q%...

    > I got it...I had to create a new Preferred Network for this to work.
    >
    > So the process is: Install the NIC, load the newest driver, and create a new Preferred Network with the name of the hidden
    > SSID.
    >
    > FWIW, the new Linksys Monitor won't even run.

    Good news. Enjoy your network :)
    --PA
    Pavel A., Dec 30, 2005