    If anyone can shed some light on this predicament it would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks and Smiles
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9ibGU=?=, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Broadcast your unique SSID. There is absolutely no security value not
    broadcasting the SSID and you run into issues like you describe. Do use WPA
    (if your hardware supports) it, or at the very least 128-bit WEP to secure
    your wireless network...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Aug 8, 2005

  3. http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/wlan/40.0 Security#10907

    http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/wifisecurity

    Sooner Al [MVP], Aug 8, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Um9ibGU=?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Roble" <> wrote in message news:...
    > As part of my security initiative I have disabled SSID broadcast from my
    > router so that everyone in the neighborhood doesn't know it's sitting there
    > waiting to be hacked (I also run WEP encription and a MAC address filter).

    Ok so everybody knows that you're sitting there and thinking you're safe :)

    > This was not a problem until one of my neighbors bought a wireless router
    > that has SSID broadcast still enabled. Now my computer wants to connect to
    > his router instead of mine (appearently because of Windows XP's built in
    > prefrence for connecting to routers that broadcast an SSID first.) Even when
    > I completely remove his router from my "prefered networks" my computer still
    > automatically connects itself to the wrong router. ("automatically connect to
    > non-prefered networks" is disabled)

    This might be a problem with your wireless adapter driver.
    Try to contact their tech support and request update.

    ( I hope this is not a bug specific to XP Home. haven't worked with Xp Home
    for a while - because, no offence please, serious people don't use it ).

    Regards,
    --PA
    Pavel A., Aug 8, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Um9ibGU=?=

    Head Hunter Guest

    I do the same thing, but I only have that problem if my Access-Point
    hiccups. Once it comes back up, my laptop reconnects automatically.

    Head Hunter, Aug 8, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Um9ibGU=?=

    Clark Guest

    If you edit the profile, isn't there something that allows you to connect to
    specified profiles only or only to one certain access point? I don't use
    the WZC, but the Intel utility has the connect to only this access point
    option.

    Clark
    Clark, Aug 9, 2005
  7. I am having the same problem as Roble. I am using XP Pro. The network that I
    need to connect to is the one at work and there is no way they will turn on
    broadcasting. I need to find another way of either forcing the connection or
    doing it via command line.

    Jeremy

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVyZW15?=, Aug 9, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Um9ibGU=?=

    Clark Guest

    If you know the SSID, you can set up the profile using it and the other
    settings you need, just fill in the blanks.

    Clark

    Clark, Aug 10, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Um9ibGU=?=

    Jack Guest