SSH2 tunneling impossible on Pix 525?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by peterl, Mar 18, 2008.

  1. peterl

    peterl

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Spain
    Hi there,

    I've been trying to setup a simple TCP SSH2 tunnel through a PIX 525
    but keep getting an error back as soon as I try to use the tunnel
    (logging into the Pix works fine). Basically I want port 4242 on my
    localhost to be fwded to port 1666 on a machine behind the Pix.

    Using PuTTY I get "Forwarded connection refused by server: Resource
    shortage []", when using CygWin I get "channel 2: open failed:
    resource shortage:". I get the same error when using ssh under Ubuntu.

    I found a couple of web pages that discussed this problem and
    apparently found workarounds for their Perl clients:

    http://www.cpanforum.com/threads/851
    http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=361885

    both seem to say the Pix has a bug where it can't allocate more than a
    single channel per SSH2 connection, but then it would seem that SSH2
    tunneling is basically impossible on a Pix.

    I tried poking around the PuTTY source code (which is huge and very
    old-style C), without luck.

    btw I'm using PIX Version 7.2(2).

    Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks!!

    -- p

    peterl, Mar 18, 2008