SSH tunnels woes with Putty

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Al, Dec 25, 2010.

  1. Al

    Al Guest

    Hi Folks,

    I REALLY hope someone here can help me. I have been trying to setup a
    SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my
    Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic.

    Now I tried to connect to Ubuntu@home from laptop running Win7 with:

    putty -ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v

    and the connection establishes just fine, but when I surf to
    whatsmyip.org I get a different WAN IP to my Ubuntu WAN IP. Weird, so
    after a lot or trying different things (IE7, Chrome etc) I rebooted
    that same laptop into Ubuntu as well and issued the exact same command
    but not using putty

    ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v

    Now it works like a charm, so I am thinking its something specific to
    Win7 or Putty. But I am at the limit of my trouble shooting. Can
    someone please help.

    Cheers

    -Al

    Al, Dec 25, 2010

  2. Al

    Richard Guest

    On 25/12/2010 6:27 p.m., Al wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I REALLY hope someone here can help me. I have been trying to setup a
    > SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my
    > Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic.
    >
    > Now I tried to connect to Ubuntu@home from laptop running Win7 with:
    >
    > putty -ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v
    >
    > and the connection establishes just fine, but when I surf to
    > whatsmyip.org I get a different WAN IP to my Ubuntu WAN IP. Weird, so
    > after a lot or trying different things (IE7, Chrome etc) I rebooted
    > that same laptop into Ubuntu as well and issued the exact same command
    > but not using putty
    >
    > ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v
    >
    > Now it works like a charm, so I am thinking its something specific to
    > Win7 or Putty. But I am at the limit of my trouble shooting. Can
    > someone please help.

    I have never used putty for it, but I do it all the time with bitvise, I
    also use it to get torrent tracker updates out past the obnoxious
    slingshot layer 7 thing that impersonates connection reset by peer.

    Richard, Dec 25, 2010

  3. Al

    Enkidu Guest

    On 25/12/10 18:27, Al wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I REALLY hope someone here can help me. I have been trying to setup a
    > SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my
    > Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic.
    >
    > Now I tried to connect to Ubuntu@home from laptop running Win7 with:
    >
    > putty -ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v
    >
    > and the connection establishes just fine, but when I surf to
    > whatsmyip.org I get a different WAN IP to my Ubuntu WAN IP. Weird, so
    > after a lot or trying different things (IE7, Chrome etc) I rebooted
    > that same laptop into Ubuntu as well and issued the exact same command
    > but not using putty
    >
    > ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v
    >
    > Now it works like a charm, so I am thinking its something specific to
    > Win7 or Putty. But I am at the limit of my trouble shooting. Can
    > someone please help.

    I'd reckon it's a Win7 thing. Probably a win firewall. Though as I
    understand it the Win firewall doesn't manage outgoing traffic.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Dec 25, 2010
  4. Al

    Andy Gray Guest

    On Dec 25 2010, 3:27 pm, Al <> wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I REALLY hope someone here can help me. I have been trying to setup a
    > SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my
    > Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic.
    >
    > Now I tried to connect to Ubuntu@home from laptop running Win7 with:
    >
    > putty -ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v
    >
    > and the connection establishes just fine, but when I surf to
    > whatsmyip.org I get a different WAN IP to my Ubuntu WAN IP. Weird, so
    > after a lot or trying different things (IE7, Chrome etc) I rebooted
    > that same laptop into Ubuntu as well and issued the exact same command
    > but not using putty
    >
    > ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v
    >
    > Now it works like a charm, so I am thinking its something specific to
    > Win7 or Putty. But I am at the limit of my trouble shooting. Can
    > someone please help.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > -Al

    I have not managed to get a similar configuration working either.
    However, using freecap and firefox to use the dynamic port forward
    from putty did work. Perhaps try freecap out, it works for me. But
    as you say, firefox should be able to use a dynamic port - or at least
    I would have thought so, but I'm not sure myself (hence posting in
    this forum in another thread)
    - Andrew

    Andy Gray, Jan 18, 2011