    Is there a way to tell ssh to create .ssh somewhere else?

    Thanks and regards,

    AS
    Alain Star, Mar 5, 2005

  2. Alain Star

    winged Guest

    Alain Star wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am tring to ssh to a machine:
    >
    > ssh -f -R 3307:localhost:3306 -N -p 443
    > Could not create directory '/home/www/stuff/users/foo/.ssh'.
    > Host key verification failed.
    >
    > I do not have rights in /home/www/stuff/users/foo
    > Is there a way to tell ssh to create .ssh somewhere else?
    >
    > Thanks and regards,
    >
    > AS

    Depends on how the Sys admin has configured the system and the shell and
    shell permissions the admin granted to the user.

    Winged
    winged, Mar 5, 2005

  3. Alain Star

    donnie Guest

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:53:35 +0100, "Alain Star"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I am tring to ssh to a machine:
    >
    >ssh -f -R 3307:localhost:3306 -N -p 443
    >Could not create directory '/home/www/stuff/users/foo/.ssh'.
    >Host key verification failed.
    >
    >I do not have rights in /home/www/stuff/users/foo
    >Is there a way to tell ssh to create .ssh somewhere else?
    >
    >Thanks and regards,
    >
    >AS

    #######################
    What happens if you just run
    ssh -l usr_name -p 443 server_name
    You should get a passwd prompt.
    donnie
    donnie, Mar 5, 2005
  4. Alain Star

    Alain Star Guest

    donnie wrote:
    :: On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:53:35 +0100, "Alain Star"

    ::: ssh -f -R 3307:localhost:3306 -N -p 443
    ::: Could not create directory '/home/www/stuff/users/foo/.ssh'.
    ::: Host key verification failed.
    ::: I do not have rights in /home/www/stuff/users/foo
    ::: Is there a way to tell ssh to create .ssh somewhere else?

    :: #######################
    :: What happens if you just run
    :: ssh -l usr_name -p 443 server_name
    :: You should get a passwd prompt.

    Unfortunately, I am in a non interactive environment and need everything to
    work at the first time.

    AS
    Alain Star, Mar 6, 2005
  5. Alain Star

    winged Guest

    Alain Star wrote:
    > donnie wrote:
    > :: On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:53:35 +0100, "Alain Star"
    >
    > ::: ssh -f -R 3307:localhost:3306 -N -p 443
    > ::: Could not create directory '/home/www/stuff/users/foo/.ssh'.
    > ::: Host key verification failed.
    > ::: I do not have rights in /home/www/stuff/users/foo
    > ::: Is there a way to tell ssh to create .ssh somewhere else?
    >
    > :: #######################
    > :: What happens if you just run
    > :: ssh -l usr_name -p 443 server_name
    > :: You should get a passwd prompt.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I am in a non interactive environment and need everything to
    > work at the first time.
    >
    > AS

    Sounds like you are hacking the system to me. I suspect if the site has
    IDS tools running the activity will be seen very quickly. No, I won't
    indicate how.

    That said, there are several ways to enable the functionality of
    encryption with point to point keys without using the standard tools.
    For example, one could take the open source and hack them to be placed
    else wise on the system. I have seen this done with botnet tools on SSL
    web servers that derived from the ssh source as well as inside users
    trying to get around network security policies.

    While I am not sure you are attempting to hack a system, sure sounds
    like you are. Since you don't appear to understand the rewrite and
    recompilation, I would think very seriously about my activities before I
    proceeded. In all cases the activity you desire is improper and
    probably illegal.

    The concept of 443 hacks is not new, security folks have been dealing
    with port 443 encryption (and others) hacks for some time. I can think
    of no legal reason for this effort within the defined parameters. It
    sounds like you are planning an exploit. This is illegal under booth
    French and EU law with international law agencies potentially becoming
    involved depending on the data you are planning to compromise.

    Winged
    winged, Mar 6, 2005
  6. Alain Star

    Lu Tze Guest

    winged wrote:
    > Alain Star wrote:
    >
    >> donnie wrote:
    >> :: On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:53:35 +0100, "Alain Star"
    >>
    >> ::: ssh -f -R 3307:localhost:3306 -N -p 443
    >> ::: Could not create directory '/home/www/stuff/users/foo/.ssh'.
    >> ::: Host key verification failed.
    >> ::: I do not have rights in /home/www/stuff/users/foo
    >> ::: Is there a way to tell ssh to create .ssh somewhere else?

    > Sounds like you are hacking the system to me. I suspect if the site has
    > IDS tools running the activity will be seen very quickly. No, I won't
    > indicate how.
    >

    > The concept of 443 hacks is not new, security folks have been dealing
    > with port 443 encryption (and others) hacks for some time. I can think
    > of no legal reason for this effort within the defined parameters. It
    > sounds like you are planning an exploit. This is illegal under booth
    > French and EU law with international law agencies potentially becoming
    > involved depending on the data you are planning to compromise.
    >
    > Winged

    A quick search shows this guy popping up in various groups looking for
    exploits. If he is that that visible then he will drop himself in
    trouble before long. A little reading is a dangerous thing sometimes.
    --
    "Whale Oil Beef Hooked."

    "Lu Tze."

    Lu Tze, Mar 7, 2005
  7. Alain Star

    Alain Star Guest

    winged wrote:

    :::::: ssh -f -R 3307:localhost:3306 -N -p 443

    :: Sounds like you are hacking the system to me. I suspect if the site
    :: has IDS tools running the activity will be seen very quickly. No, I
    :: won't indicate how.

    No.
    I am just trying to access my MySQL database from outside on a machine where
    I do not have shell access.
    Well, I thought this was an easy question, but it seems that nobody knows...

    AS
    Alain Star, Mar 7, 2005
  8. Alain Star

    Bill Unruh Guest

    "Alain Star" <> writes:

    >donnie wrote:
    >:: On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:53:35 +0100, "Alain Star"

    >::: ssh -f -R 3307:localhost:3306 -N -p 443
    >::: Could not create directory '/home/www/stuff/users/foo/.ssh'.
    >::: Host key verification failed.
    >::: I do not have rights in /home/www/stuff/users/foo
    >::: Is there a way to tell ssh to create .ssh somewhere else?

    >:: #######################
    >:: What happens if you just run
    >:: ssh -l usr_name -p 443 server_name
    >:: You should get a passwd prompt.

    >Unfortunately, I am in a non interactive environment and need everything to
    >work at the first time.

    No idea what you are talking about. You have a problem and the person
    suggests a solution. DOes he guarentee the solution? No. But that is how
    things work on usenet, you gets hints for you to try. sometimes they work
    sometimes they do not. If you really want a guarantee you can advertise for an ssh
    expert to solve your problem and give a guarentee by offering to pay $1000,
    and have them sign a contract.

    In your example, you are trying to create a forwarded connection as foo on
    the remote machine. Why should it let you if you are not foo and have no
    permissions as foo? That is what permissions are all about. To prevent
    unauthorised people like you aapparently are to do things.
    Why do you not port forward as your self, or as root?
    Or are you a cracker trying to subvert someone on the remote machine?
    Bill Unruh, Mar 7, 2005
  9. Alain Star

    donnie Guest

    On 7 Mar 2005 18:32:33 GMT, (Bill Unruh)
    wrote:

    >>:: #######################
    >>:: What happens if you just run
    >>:: ssh -l usr_name -p 443 server_name
    >>:: You should get a passwd prompt.

    >>>Unfortunately, I am in a non interactive environment and need everything to
    >>>work at the first time.

    Cracking or not, Bill is correct. My suggestion was to see if the ssh
    connection would work without all those extra options and there was no
    reason not to try it as test.
    donnie.
    donnie, Mar 7, 2005