    tony Guest

    How do I configure ssh access on a cat 4506 switch? I want to completely
    disable telnet and use ssh access instead

    tony, Sep 17, 2006

  2. tony

    Brian V Guest

    "tony" <> wrote in message
    news:eekirp$cil$...
    > How do I configure ssh access on a cat 4506 switch? I want to completely
    > disable telnet and use ssh access instead

    Provided you have the apropriate image:

    crypto key generate rsa

    line vty 0 4
    transport input ssh

    Brian V, Sep 17, 2006

  3. tony

    Guest

    Brian V wrote:
    > "tony" <> wrote in message
    > > How do I configure ssh access on a cat 4506 switch? I want to completely
    > > disable telnet and use ssh access instead
    > >

    > Provided you have the apropriate image:
    >
    > crypto key generate rsa
    >
    > line vty 0 4
    > transport input ssh

    I think that you also need

    username whatever-you-like password any-password
    line vty 0 4
    login local

    If you don't have it already.

    You may also need to fiddle with AAA but I don't understand that very
    well.

    I have:

    no aaa new-model
    username xxxxx privilege 15 password 7 xxxxxx
    ! priv 15 not needed.
    line vty 0 4
    login local
    transport input telnet ssh
    transport output telnet ssh

    It is quite likely that your 4500 Image will not be a crypto one.

    The cry key gen will tell you.

    This is from a 4500.
    R1#c?
    calendar cd clear clock cns
    configure connect copy

    No crypto here.

    /Remember/ If you change the host name or domain name
    that you need to re-create the key otherwise you
    /will not/ be able to connect with ssh. If you turn off all means of
    access other than ssh then you will not be able to
    connect remotely at all.

    , Sep 18, 2006
  4. tony

    zillah