SSH Access - Banner for Telnet but no Access

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ppurcell, Jun 17, 2008.

1. ppurcell

ppurcell

Hello,

I need to configure my cisco devices so that the transport is SSH v2 for all user access. However, I want to display a banner to users that connect to the device using telnet.

I have looked at the various flavors of motd, exec & login banner and none will display on a vty which does not permit the user to login at all.

I also looked at setting up just one vty with telnet as the transport thinking that I might be able to use autocommand to display a message and then kick them out. That didn't work even with priveledge set to 0 because the user could still type in enable and supply a password. I don't want users to be able to attempt to authenticate without having the session encrypted.

I can't use the menu function because that feature isn't available on all IOS versions and featuresets.

I'd just as soon not enable telnet at all but we are in the process of converting from telnet to ssh so a user that gets a connection refused message won't be able to tell if they are blocked by an acl or if the device is ssh only.

ppurcell, Jun 17, 2008
    1. Advertising