    I"ve been shooting my pictures in RGB mode in my Canon 20D. Is there
    any advantage to shooting SRGB?

    Thanks, Art

    Fyimo, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Fyimo

    Bob Williams Guest

    Fyimo wrote:
    > I"ve been shooting my pictures in RGB mode in my Canon 20D. Is there
    > any advantage to shooting SRGB?
    >
    > Thanks, Art

    The sRGB color gamut is smaller than Adobe RGB.
    If you are only going to display it on a computer, sRGB is fine.
    If you intend to print it, Leave it in Adobe RGB.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Fyimo

    Eric Gill Guest

    Bob Williams <> wrote in news::

    > Fyimo wrote:
    >> I"ve been shooting my pictures in RGB mode in my Canon 20D. Is there
    >> any advantage to shooting SRGB?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Art
    >>

    > The sRGB color gamut is smaller than Adobe RGB.
    > If you are only going to display it on a computer, sRGB is fine.
    > If you intend to print it, Leave it in Adobe RGB.

    Actually - no.

    If you intend offset 4 color litho print, it's not as big a deal to shoot
    in RGB, since the color gamut of CMYK is even smaller. However, if you are
    printing to a good inkjet, lightjet or the like - and most pro photo labs
    use something like this - those devices have a wonderfully large gamut and
    will benefit from SRGB.

    I shoot in nothing but, since you can always change down but not up.

    Eric Gill, Feb 21, 2005
  4. Fyimo

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Fyimo wrote:
    > I"ve been shooting my pictures in RGB mode in my Canon 20D. Is there
    > any advantage to shooting SRGB?
    >
    > Thanks, Art

    sRGB is the colour space the computer monitors can display. You are probably
    using AdobeRGB, which is a larger colour space than sRGB. I think printers can
    benefit from the larger colour space, but apparently many commercial printers
    assume you are using sRGB so the photos may not come out as you expect.

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.

    Ben Thomas, Feb 21, 2005
  5. Fyimo

    bmoag Guest

    Actually AdobeRGB is the wider gamut.
    In an ideal world this would make a difference.
    In the real world of limited color vision (if your color perception were
    limited how would you know it?), imperfect (even if calibrated) monitor
    displays, printer gamuts that may or may not be what the manufacturer
    claims, and differences in reflectivity of different papers (not to mention
    the effect of ambient light on perceived print colors) I am not sure that
    there is a practical difference between sRGB and AdobeRGB for most users.
    What really matters are the color management procedures you use once the
    image enters Photoshop.

    bmoag, Feb 21, 2005
  6. Fyimo

    Eric Gill Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in

    > Actually AdobeRGB is the wider gamut.

    Indeed. I plead discombobulation via too damned many deadlines.

    <snip>

    Eric Gill, Feb 22, 2005
  7. Fyimo

    YoYo Guest

    Try it yourself take a photo in sRGB and then take the same photo in aRGB
    then print both photos (without any editing). Then you can see with your
    own eyes which is better.
    The beauties of digital.

    YoYo, Feb 22, 2005
  8. Fyimo

    paul Guest

    Fyimo wrote:

    > I"ve been shooting my pictures in [adobe?]RGB mode in my Canon 20D. Is there
    > any advantage to shooting SRGB?
    >
    > Thanks, Art

    AdobeRGB will show very vivid saturated colors a bit better on screen
    and with newer inkjet printers. You need to set up Photoshop to manage
    color space and other programs may not interpret it correctly. AdobeRGB
    images ought to be converted to sRGB for web display, again this only
    really is noticeable for very intense colorful circus type pictures in
    my limited experience.

    paul, Feb 22, 2005
  9. "Fyimo" <> wrote in message
    > I"ve been shooting my pictures in RGB mode in my Canon 20D. Is there
    > any advantage to shooting SRGB?
    >
    > Thanks, Art

    I had great problems with dull prints from a pro-lab. This was until I
    discovered they didn't use embedded colour profiles and needed images in
    sRGB (Fuji Frontier machines). Another lab I use for wedding work also use
    Fuji machines and recommend sRGB. They advised me to use Adobe RGB when the
    target is CMYK otherwise use sRGB. Therefore, for all work I send to my labs
    I use sRGB and the colours are spot on. I have a fully colour calibrated
    workflow at home.

    If you're able to colour calibrate your ink jet printer at home then you can
    get great results using Adobe RGB. However, I haven't done a side by side
    comparison of sRGB and Adobe RGB on inkjets. There maybe little difference
    in the final result if both are calibrated properly.

    To cut a long story shot I always use sRGB for work that I sell.

    I hope this helps.

    Graham.

    Graham Russell Photography - www.grahamrussell.info
    ProSportPhotos - www.prosportphotos.com