Squid in transperent Mode with Cisco Router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by SD, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. SD

    SD Guest

    Hi,
    I have a Squid running in a Swell Box ( Redhat Linux as OS).Wants to
    use it as a transparent proxy in my network. I have a Cisco Router 3845
    ( IOS 12.3(11r)T2.) connected to the ISP.

    I uses live ip addreses in my internal network.

    Wants to use the Squid for Caching. But don't wants to point to the
    Proxy in Internet Explorer. By default i should be able to use the
    Caching facility.

    Also wants to keep the individual Live IP identity. In short wants to
    run in transperent mode.

    Please suggest config for both.
    Thanks a ton in advance :)

    Kind Regards,
    SD
    SD, Mar 31, 2006

  2. "SD" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a Squid running in a Swell Box ( Redhat Linux as OS).Wants to
    > use it as a transparent proxy in my network. I have a Cisco Router 3845
    > ( IOS 12.3(11r)T2.) connected to the ISP.
    >
    > I uses live ip addreses in my internal network.
    >
    > Wants to use the Squid for Caching. But don't wants to point to the
    > Proxy in Internet Explorer. By default i should be able to use the
    > Caching facility.
    >
    > Also wants to keep the individual Live IP identity. In short wants to
    > run in transperent mode.
    >
    > Please suggest config for both.
    > Thanks a ton in advance :)
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    > SD

    Best way to do it - run WCCP redirect on your Cisco router. You minimum
    router configuration should be something like this:

    ip wccp version 1

    ip wccp web-cache redirect

    int <output interdace>

    ip wccp web-cache redirect out

    In the latest IOS images Cisco has introduced some more extensions for WCCP
    protocols -for example, you may specify by access-list, who should be
    redirected, and who does not.

    On your Squid box should be also configured for WCCP protocol. Old versions
    of SQUID and Linux required to add WCCP module to the Kernel - not sure if
    it's the case now.

    As an alternative, some people run IP ROUTE-MAP on the Cisco router to
    forward Web traffic to the web-cache server, but it's more complicated
    solution.

    Good luck,

    Mike

    www.headsetadapter.com