    Just guessing the square AA's should be a little heavier and could keep >25%
    more power.

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Morgan Ohlson

    John G Guest

    Then there would have to be round ones and square ones in every shop because
    lots of battery compartments are round.
    In fact almost all battery holders are round or halhround at least.
    --
    John G

    Wot's Your Real Problem?

    John G, Aug 31, 2003

  3. Morgan Ohlson

    SwashBuckle Guest

    There are batteries of all shapes, sizes and specifications now, one more
    would make little difference. Might be a good idea.

    swash

    SwashBuckle, Aug 31, 2003
  4. I have seen Handheld Radio battery packs that used square AA sized
    cells. I think the capacity was 1200ma.

    RJD

    johnston dixon, Aug 31, 2003
  5. Morgan Ohlson

    Not Very Guest

    wrote:

    > Wouldn't it be possible to make square AA-batteries (larger volume, same
    > space) and still be able to use the old round ones in same battery
    > compartement!? Length as before and side as earlier diameter.

    They would be a lot weaker physically than round batteries and thus prone to
    damage and leakage.

    Not Very, Aug 31, 2003
  6. Morgan Ohlson

    Lionel Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 09:12:45 GMT, in
    <h_i4b.21863$>, "Morgan Ohlson"
    <> said:

    >Wouldn't it be possible to make square AA-batteries (larger volume, same
    >space) and still be able to use the old round ones in same battery
    >compartement!? Length as before and side as earlier diameter.

    Nice idea, but take a look at some AA powered devices, & you'll find
    that most of them have curved slots, & wouldn't fit a square cross
    section battery.

    Lionel, Aug 31, 2003
  7. Morgan Ohlson

    Just Me Guest

    > Then there would have to be round ones and square ones in every shop because
    > lots of battery compartments are round.
    > In fact almost all battery holders are round or halhround at least.
    > --
    > John G
    >
    > Wot's Your Real Problem?

    Looks like John G's real problem is spelling!

    Just Me, Aug 31, 2003
  8. Morgan Ohlson

    Don Stauffer Guest

    No. The physical shape and size are part of the specification of what
    consitutes a standard battery. Voltage and form are the main
    determining factors.

    One COULD make a 1.5 volt battery with same capacity range as an AA
    cell, but it would not, by definition, be an AA.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Aug 31, 2003
  9. Morgan Ohlson

    Paul H. Guest

    "Don Stauffer" <> wrote in message
    > No. The physical shape and size are part of the specification of what
    > consitutes a standard battery. Voltage and form are the main
    > determining factors.
    >
    > One COULD make a 1.5 volt battery with same capacity range as an AA
    > cell, but it would not, by definition, be an AA.

    Well, you could give the square battery the designation of "AA-Plus", or
    something similar, and because AA-Plus devices would be able to use standard
    AA cells as well (though not vice versa), commercial acceptance of the new
    square battery compartments would be encouraged. The larger capacity
    afforded by the newer cells would make them attractive to new device
    designers and the square cross-section of the new batteries would likely
    simplify the mechanical designs of new products, too.

    I think it's a good idea.

    Paul H., Aug 31, 2003
  10. Morgan Ohlson

    John B Guest

    Charles <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 09:12:45 +0000, Morgan Ohlson wrote:
    >
    > > Wouldn't it be possible to make square AA-batteries (larger volume, same
    > > space) and still be able to use the old round ones in same battery
    > > compartement!? Length as before and side as earlier diameter.
    > >
    > > Just guessing the square AA's should be a little heavier and could keep

    >25%
    > > more power.
    > >

    > > Morgan O.

    > hmmm... if they'd be square then they'd be a size other than AA.

    Maybe (AA)^2 ??

    John B, Sep 1, 2003
  11. Morgan Ohlson

    Browntimdc Guest

    "Morgan Ohlson" <> wrote in

    > Wouldn't it be possible to make square AA-batteries (larger volume,
    > same space) and still be able to use the old round ones in same
    > battery compartement!? Length as before and side as earlier diameter.
    >
    > Just guessing the square AA's should be a little heavier and could
    > keep >25% more power.
    >

    > Morgan O.

    A square battery that could fit in any AA holder would have to be smaller.
    See for yourself. Draw a circle. Draw a square inside that circle, corners
    touching the circle. The square has less area.

    Tim

    Browntimdc, Sep 2, 2003
  12. Morgan Ohlson

    Bert Hyman Guest

    browntR*E*M*O*V* (Browntimdc) wrote in

    > A square battery that could fit in any AA holder would have to be
    > smaller. See for yourself. Draw a circle. Draw a square inside that
    > circle, corners touching the circle. The square has less area.

    On the other hand, draw a circle, representing a "conventional" AA
    battery, and then draw a square OUTSIDE the circle.

    I believe that the poster is expecting that existing battery
    compartments would be able to accomodate the corners of the larger
    battery in space that's now unused. The batteries would still fit
    side-by-side as they do now.

    Unfortunately, many battery powered devices have cylindrical battery
    compartments where you drop the batteries in from the end, so they
    couldn't use this proposed new design.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

    Bert Hyman, Sep 2, 2003
  13. Morgan Ohlson

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Esa Toivonen) wrote in

    > If squares turned out to be more effective than the round ones,
    > then adding even more corners (8x, 16x, 32x...) would make it even
    > better. Eventually we would end up getting round shaped batteries
    > once more, though they were somewhat larger than the original AAs.
    > But then again, we already have them. ...

    Just imagine how many more pictures you could take with 4 "D" cells
    instead of 4 puny "AA" cells :).

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

    Bert Hyman, Sep 2, 2003
  14. Morgan Ohlson

    Browntimdc Guest

    Bert Hyman <> wrote in

    > browntR*E*M*O*V* (Browntimdc) wrote in
    >
    >> A square battery that could fit in any AA holder would have to be
    >> smaller. See for yourself. Draw a circle. Draw a square inside that
    >> circle, corners touching the circle. The square has less area.

    > On the other hand, draw a circle, representing a "conventional" AA
    > battery, and then draw a square OUTSIDE the circle.

    Then you have a battery incompatible with many AA systems.

    > I believe that the poster is expecting that existing battery
    > compartments would be able to accomodate the corners of the larger
    > battery in space that's now unused. The batteries would still fit
    > side-by-side as they do now.
    >
    > Unfortunately, many battery powered devices have cylindrical battery
    > compartments where you drop the batteries in from the end, so they
    > couldn't use this proposed new design.

    This is what I meant when I said "that could fit in any AA holder".

    Tim

    Browntimdc, Sep 2, 2003
  15. SV: Square AA batteries ?

    Esa Toivonen <> skrev i
    diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:1g0obcf.yffy21w371ogN%.
    > Bjarte K. Engedal <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > > > browntR*E*M*O*V* (Browntimdc) wrote in
    > > >
    > > > I believe that the poster is expecting that existing battery
    > > > compartments would be able to accomodate the corners of the larger
    > > > battery in space that's now unused. The batteries would still fit
    > > > side-by-side as they do now.
    > > >
    > > > Unfortunately, many battery powered devices have cylindrical battery
    > > > compartments where you drop the batteries in from the end, so they
    > > > couldn't use this proposed new design.

    > > But new devices could support the new form-factor(square) , and maintain
    > > compatibility with the "old" round ones...
    > > However some devices would have to be larger in sice to support this

    format,
    > > and I'm quite happy with the current situation.

    > If squares turned out to be more effective than the round ones, then
    > adding even more corners (8x, 16x, 32x...) would make it even better.
    > Eventually we would end up getting round shaped batteries once more,
    > though they were somewhat larger than the original AAs. But then again,
    > we already have them. The only really different solution would be to
    > make batteries of cubic or ball shape.

    Has anyone thought about why some manufacturers don't accept the AA-std ?
    What do the alternative battery-packs look like? How many of them are round?

    Most cameras that use AA-acc's store air inside that you carry about.

    .....it's not the only factor, yes, yes....

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Sep 3, 2003
  16. "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > browntR*E*M*O*V* (Browntimdc) wrote in
    >
    > I believe that the poster is expecting that existing battery
    > compartments would be able to accomodate the corners of the larger
    > battery in space that's now unused. The batteries would still fit
    > side-by-side as they do now.
    >
    > Unfortunately, many battery powered devices have cylindrical battery
    > compartments where you drop the batteries in from the end, so they
    > couldn't use this proposed new design.

    But new devices could support the new form-factor(square) , and maintain
    compatibility with the "old" round ones...
    However some devices would have to be larger in sice to support this format,
    and I'm quite happy with the current situation.

    -Bjarte

    Bjarte K. Engedal, Sep 4, 2003