    XP Pro SP2+
    512
    100mb
    JohnF, Jun 19, 2007

  2. JohnF

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "JohnF" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I need to upgrade SQL 6.5 to at least SQL 2000 3a for our UPS
    > software. I've been reading enough techno babble this morning that I
    > can't see out of 1 eye anymore. I've updated the Net passport whatever
    > to V2.0 and the Win install to 3.1 but the SQL 2005 advisor (the only
    > one I could actually find) refuses to run. (can't access server)
    >
    > Can anyone give me a link or advice to get to the nice, simple
    > "UPGRADE" button?
    >
    > JohnF
    >
    > XP Pro SP2+
    > 512
    > 100mb

    When I updgraded the UPS Worldship to version 9 on our PCs at work, the SQL
    server software was installed automatically, which means it was on the CD
    from UPS. Did you look through the folders on that CD for the software? And
    you may need to un-install the old SQL 6.5 before installing the new one.
    But DON'T do that if you don't have an install option to put it back if it
    doesn't work.

    And why are you posting this question here when UPS has free tech support on
    Worldship? It's their product - they should have answers for you.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 19, 2007

  3. JohnF

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "JohnF" <> wrote in message
    >I need to upgrade SQL 6.5 to at least SQL 2000 3a for our UPS
    > software. I've been reading enough techno babble this morning that I
    > can't see out of 1 eye anymore. I've updated the Net passport whatever
    > to V2.0 and the Win install to 3.1 but the SQL 2005 advisor (the only
    > one I could actually find) refuses to run. (can't access server)
    >
    > Can anyone give me a link or advice to get to the nice, simple
    > "UPGRADE" button?
    >
    > JohnF
    >
    > XP Pro SP2+
    > 512
    > 100mb

    You seem to be trying to install the Server Edition of SQL Server on a XP
    Pro workstation, which is not going to happen. You need to install the
    Workstation Edition of SQL Server on a workstation.

    However, like the other poster has indicated, you should be in touch with
    UPS's tech support concerning the upgrade.
    Mr. Arnold, Jun 19, 2007
  4. JohnF wrote:

    > I need to upgrade SQL 6.5 to at least SQL 2000 3a for our UPS
    > software.

    UPS in general means uninterruptable power supply. Usually these devices are
    robust and should never depend upon such a thing as a SQL database. The
    main purpose of a UPS software is to shut down the monitored computers in a
    nice way, before the UPS battery is drained. Advanced functions may include
    battery monitoring and maybe power statistics - but all that still doesn't
    explain the need for a database software here ...

    Walter Mautner, Jun 19, 2007
  5. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:38:27 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >When I updgraded the UPS Worldship to version 9 on our PCs at work, the SQL
    >server software was installed automatically, which means it was on the CD
    >from UPS. Did you look through the folders on that CD for the software? And
    >you may need to un-install the old SQL 6.5 before installing the new one.
    >But DON'T do that if you don't have an install option to put it back if it
    >doesn't work.
    >
    >And why are you posting this question here when UPS has free tech support on
    >Worldship? It's their product - they should have answers for you.

    The SQL server software isn't UPS's, they just told me I have to
    upgrade it to work with V9. I think our POS software uses it too so it
    gets more complicated. There is so much hyper-babble on the MS sites
    that I got lost just trying to figure out what I needed to download to
    update and I can't find any "trailer-park" sites for us non-genius
    types. They keep talking about an "upgrade wizard" that I still
    haven't found yet. There is no "SQL upgrade wizard" download anywhere
    I could find, even directly searching with Google, that didn't take me
    back to the same MS Tech sites where I've been wandering around all
    morning anyway. Even at that, it says I have to have a copy of SQL2000
    installed before I can use the upgrade wizard...I can't find a file
    that is SQL2000 install. The only software I found was the one that,
    supposedly, tells me the status of my existing version relative to the
    upgrade but it apparently doesn't work with SQL 6.5 even though it
    said it would. I did find an SQL 2005 Express but I can't get past the
    "SQL Upgrade Advisor" so am afraid to run the Express software.

    JohnF
    JohnF, Jun 19, 2007
  6. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:55:38 GMT, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. >
    wrote:

    >You seem to be trying to install the Server Edition of SQL Server on a XP
    >Pro workstation, which is not going to happen. You need to install the
    >Workstation Edition of SQL Server on a workstation.
    >
    >However, like the other poster has indicated, you should be in touch with
    >UPS's tech support concerning the upgrade.

    It's a stand-alone install. Our UPS and POS are all on a single box.

    JohnF
    JohnF, Jun 19, 2007
  7. JohnF

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "JohnF" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:38:27 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    > <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>When I updgraded the UPS Worldship to version 9 on our PCs at work, the
    >>SQL
    >>server software was installed automatically, which means it was on the CD
    >>from UPS. Did you look through the folders on that CD for the software?
    >>And
    >>you may need to un-install the old SQL 6.5 before installing the new one.
    >>But DON'T do that if you don't have an install option to put it back if it
    >>doesn't work.
    >>
    >>And why are you posting this question here when UPS has free tech support
    >>on
    >>Worldship? It's their product - they should have answers for you.
    >>

    > The SQL server software isn't UPS's, they just told me I have to
    > upgrade it to work with V9. I think our POS software uses it too so it
    > gets more complicated. There is so much hyper-babble on the MS sites
    > that I got lost just trying to figure out what I needed to download to
    > update and I can't find any "trailer-park" sites for us non-genius
    > types. They keep talking about an "upgrade wizard" that I still
    > haven't found yet. There is no "SQL upgrade wizard" download anywhere
    > I could find, even directly searching with Google, that didn't take me
    > back to the same MS Tech sites where I've been wandering around all
    > morning anyway. Even at that, it says I have to have a copy of SQL2000
    > installed before I can use the upgrade wizard...I can't find a file
    > that is SQL2000 install. The only software I found was the one that,
    > supposedly, tells me the status of my existing version relative to the
    > upgrade but it apparently doesn't work with SQL 6.5 even though it
    > said it would. I did find an SQL 2005 Express but I can't get past the
    > "SQL Upgrade Advisor" so am afraid to run the Express software.
    >
    > JohnF

    SQL Server 2000 and 2005 the full versions that include the server and
    workstation versions are not free to download software. You have to buy the
    software, which I suggest you have your company purchase or maybe, they can
    get someone or some company to burn you a copy of their full version of SQL
    Server.

    SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, which is free to use and distribute from a
    programmer's standpoint, and SQL Server 2005 the full version with server
    and workstation components are two different pieces of software.
    Mr. Arnold, Jun 19, 2007
  8. JohnF

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "JohnF" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:55:38 GMT, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. >
    > wrote:
    >

    >>You seem to be trying to install the Server Edition of SQL Server on a XP
    >>Pro workstation, which is not going to happen. You need to install the
    >>Workstation Edition of SQL Server on a workstation.
    >>
    >>However, like the other poster has indicated, you should be in touch with
    >>UPS's tech support concerning the upgrade.

    > It's a stand-alone install. Our UPS and POS are all on a single box.

    I'll try to explain this once again. You have Windows 2000 Server and
    Windows 2000 Pro Workstation editions of the operating systems. You have
    Windows XP Pro Workstation and you have Windows 2003 Server editions of the
    O/S(s). Sql Server 2000 and 2005 the full versions have two install path(s)
    it can take from an install CD.

    One path is to install SQL Server the *Server* edition on the Windows
    *Server* edition of the O/S. The other install path that can be done is to
    install the Workstation version of SQL Server on a Workstation version of
    the O/S.

    If the install of the software is indicating that it *cannot find the
    *server**, then it's telling you that you are trying to install the Server
    version of the software on a non Server edition of the O/S. You have to
    Mr. Arnold, Jun 19, 2007
  9. JohnF

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > JohnF wrote:
    >
    >> I need to upgrade SQL 6.5 to at least SQL 2000 3a for our UPS
    >> software.

    > UPS in general means uninterruptable power supply.

    UPS in this context is United Parcel Service. You know, big brown trucks?
    Guys in shorts?
    WhzzKdd, Jun 20, 2007
  10. JohnF

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message

    > "JohnF" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:38:27 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    >> <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >>

    >>>When I updgraded the UPS Worldship to version 9 on our PCs at work, the
    >>>SQL
    >>>server software was installed automatically, which means it was on the CD
    >>>from UPS. Did you look through the folders on that CD for the software?
    >>>And
    >>>you may need to un-install the old SQL 6.5 before installing the new one.
    >>>But DON'T do that if you don't have an install option to put it back if
    >>>it
    >>>doesn't work.
    >>>
    >>>And why are you posting this question here when UPS has free tech support
    >>>on
    >>>Worldship? It's their product - they should have answers for you.
    >>>

    >> The SQL server software isn't UPS's, they just told me I have to
    >> upgrade it to work with V9. I think our POS software uses it too so it
    >> gets more complicated. There is so much hyper-babble on the MS sites
    >> that I got lost just trying to figure out what I needed to download to
    >> update and I can't find any "trailer-park" sites for us non-genius
    >> types. They keep talking about an "upgrade wizard" that I still
    >> haven't found yet. There is no "SQL upgrade wizard" download anywhere
    >> I could find, even directly searching with Google, that didn't take me
    >> back to the same MS Tech sites where I've been wandering around all
    >> morning anyway. Even at that, it says I have to have a copy of SQL2000
    >> installed before I can use the upgrade wizard...I can't find a file
    >> that is SQL2000 install. The only software I found was the one that,
    >> supposedly, tells me the status of my existing version relative to the
    >> upgrade but it apparently doesn't work with SQL 6.5 even though it
    >> said it would. I did find an SQL 2005 Express but I can't get past the
    >> "SQL Upgrade Advisor" so am afraid to run the Express software.

    John - that's why I mentioned you may need to uninstall the current version
    in order for the new one to install.

    >> JohnF

    > SQL Server 2000 and 2005 the full versions that include the server and
    > workstation versions are not free to download software. You have to buy
    > the software, which I suggest you have your company purchase or maybe,
    > they can get someone or some company to burn you a copy of their full
    > version of SQL Server.
    >
    > SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, which is free to use and distribute from
    > a programmer's standpoint, and SQL Server 2005 the full version with
    > server and workstation components are two different pieces of software.

    Well said, Mr. Arnold. And I would expect that if the POS software doesn't
    run in the updated SQL workstation software that UPS Worldship needs, then
    the OP may end up looking at more hardware (second system for shipping), or
    an upgrade for the POS software.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 20, 2007
  11. WhzzKdd wrote:

    > "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    >> JohnF wrote:
    >>
    >>> I need to upgrade SQL 6.5 to at least SQL 2000 3a for our UPS
    >>> software.

    >> UPS in general means uninterruptable power supply.

    > UPS in this context is United Parcel Service. You know, big brown trucks?
    > Guys in shorts?

    Hehe, I almost could imagine it must be something different ... but *here*
    they are big black trucks and former pizza-hut deliverers blocking every
    other street parking 2nd lane while asking directions. Apparently they
    never heard about GPS and even cheapo tomtom gadgets. Never knew they use
    such sophisticated *cough* things as SQL servers, though.
    Walter Mautner, Jun 20, 2007
  12. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    Thanks, guys. At least I have a better understanding of this
    situation. That's the main reason I post questions here in the 1st
    place, most answers give me a better understanding of whatever I'm
    dealing with rather than being "walked" through something by a tech
    without any real education on the subject.

    JohnF
    JohnF, Jun 20, 2007
  13. JohnF

    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >> "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in
    >> message

    >>> UPS in general means uninterruptable power supply.

    >> UPS in this context is United Parcel Service. You know, big brown trucks?
    >> Guys in shorts?

    > Hehe, I almost could imagine it must be something different ... but *here*
    > they are big black trucks and former pizza-hut deliverers blocking every
    > other street parking 2nd lane while asking directions. Apparently they
    > never heard about GPS and even cheapo tomtom gadgets. Never knew they use
    > such sophisticated *cough* things as SQL servers, though.

    <g> I'm very familiar with them blocking traffic too!

    Their shipping software used to be programmed in some sort of MS Access
    database format or such. The newest version uses an SQL database, for
    whatever reason. Either way, it is a fairly irritating piece of software,
    IMO.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 20, 2007
  14. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:52:02 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >Their shipping software used to be programmed in some sort of MS Access
    >database format or such. The newest version uses an SQL database, for
    >whatever reason. Either way, it is a fairly irritating piece of software,
    >IMO.

    Further developements;
    I contacted POS Partner Software (credit card software) and they said;
    "POS Partner should never be installed on any machine that supports
    other applications running SQL or MSDE."

    We've been running POS ( I can't help but chuckle every time I write
    POS) and UPS Worldship software on the same machine for 3 or 4 years.
    This is the 1st I've heard about not being able to.

    JohnF
    JohnF, Jun 21, 2007
  15. JohnF

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "JohnF" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:52:02 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    > <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>Their shipping software used to be programmed in some sort of MS Access
    >>database format or such. The newest version uses an SQL database, for
    >>whatever reason. Either way, it is a fairly irritating piece of software,
    >>IMO.
    >>

    > Further developements;
    > I contacted POS Partner Software (credit card software) and they said;
    > "POS Partner should never be installed on any machine that supports
    > other applications running SQL or MSDE."
    >
    > We've been running POS ( I can't help but chuckle every time I write
    > POS)

    Yeah - me too <g>

    > and UPS Worldship software on the same machine for 3 or 4 years.
    > This is the 1st I've heard about not being able to.

    It's not so much an issue of "not being able to" as "not being supported".
    See, they're worried about exactly what is happening with your situation.
    You need the SQL software updated, they don't support their software with
    the updated SQL.

    At the cost of a moderate system, I'd go shopping. You don't need all the
    bells and whistles for a Worldship capable system. We run a Celeron 2.6GHz
    with 512 of RAM and it works fine. Small monitor, or a KVM to switch between
    your POS system and the Worldship PC when you are using that. I'd guess
    you'd be into it for just a few hundred dollars new, or less for something
    used from eBay.

    Yeah, it's a PITA. I had to do the same at the office for a Quickbooks Pro
    multi-user problem. Their software is unable to properly run multi-user on a
    Novell server. It's okay on any MS system, so I put an extra PC in the
    corner, shared the data file location, and it sits there all day doing just
    about nothing. (I since added a few things, like an external CD duplicator,
    so we're getting more use out of the system.)
    WhzzKdd, Jun 21, 2007