    I need to do study for the exam. I have never used a hosting service that
    offers SQL Server so I'm not really sure what to expect. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    jmc, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Have you considered Virtual PC or VMWare they are great tools to be able to
    set up a environment without affecting your Machine. I have set up a
    complete domain and been able to break it without worrying about how I am
    going to explain to my wife I broke our computer and she can not check
    e-mail until I fix it.

    Rob

    "jmc" <> wrote in message
    > I'm about to start studying for 70-229 and I'm trying to decide whether to
    > run SQL Server on my local machine or with a site hosting service. I'm
    > concerned the lack of administrative and other server-side controls

    through
    > a hosting service's web-based control panel would mean I can't do

    everything

    Robert Boesen, Jun 5, 2004

  3. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Thanks for the advice, I was definately considering VPC and now that I think
    about it that's probably the smartest way to go. Cost effective too. I
    just demo'd a web-based SQL Server interface and it sure wasn't good.

    jmc, Jun 5, 2004
  4. jmc

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 21:08:29 -0400, "jmc" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the advice, I was definately considering VPC and now that I think
    >about it that's probably the smartest way to go. Cost effective too. I
    >just demo'd a web-based SQL Server interface and it sure wasn't good.

    Microsoft have their own web admin interface and it is actually pretty
    damn good. I'm testing it right now against an instance of SQL Server
    2000 which is running on a VPC 2004 virtual machine on the same PC.
    It works extremely well as far as I can see. Download details here :

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...98-c57a-419e-acbc-2a332cb7f959&displaylang=en

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE
    Paul Lynch, Jun 5, 2004
  5. jmc

    jmc Guest

    That's good to know, but at the moment I'm trying to avoid having to
    install/setup/configure/run SQL Server on my local machine. I'm studying
    for 70-305 now and need to do some basic database stuff (querying northwind,
    stored procedures) so I figured a third party MSSQL host would work out.
    But I'm not sure if I want to pay for it if I can't use it for 70-229,
    because by then I'll probably have SQL Server running locally.

    If/when I do the SQL install I'll definately take advantage of the web
    interface, thanks for the link.

    jmc, Jun 5, 2004
  6. jmc

    SJ Guest

    Or just download the 120 day eval copy of SQL. You can find it here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/trial/default.asp

    Having passed the 229 and regularly teach 2073 (programming SQL Server
    2000), I think you'd be missing out on some key material if you just
    use a web based interface. With the 120 day eval, you have Enterprise
    Manager, Query Analyzer, Books Online, SQL Profiler and all the other
    tools included. This is not to say that a web based interface isn't
    worth learning, but rather that it may leave some holes in your
    knowledge for the test.

    HTH

    sj
    MCSE, MCDBA....