    more than 1 GB, so cnnot take backup. some error msg comes.
    what to do for it. plz guide
    thx

    Sapna Chauhan, Apr 17, 2004

  2. Sapna Chauhan

    Syanide Guest

    truncate the logfile and shrink it.. --> the 'ldf' file

    dbcc shrinkfile <<-- to shrink it

    Syanide, Apr 17, 2004

  3. Sapna Chauhan

    alex Guest

    sql server problem: Solution...

    hi sapna, how are u, well this is my first writing and i
    hope that be usefull.
    your log file is to large and its not so necesary that be
    like that ( by the way, my english is not good )

    you can deattach your database, then remove your log file
    and attach it again... this are the steps USIGIN THE SQL
    SERVER MANAGER:

    SQL server manager:
    1. Deattach your DB. Rigth click over the database name
    2. All tasks--> deattach.

    at file system level:
    3. "backup your log file" just changin the name DON'T
    ERAESE IT just in case to need it again.

    sql server manager:
    4. rigth Click over the sql server' registration name
    5. all tasks-->attach database
    6. it'll ask u if u want to recreate the log file. should
    say yes
    7. end

    it'll recreate the log file with a size of 1KB, then try
    to bakcup your database again.

    just in case that this don't be succesfull:
    rename again your log file to the original name and
    from step 4
    step 6 change to: define the log file route to the
    original file.
    7 end.

    that's all

    i made this work many times with out problems.
    see ya, bye!

    alex, Apr 23, 2004