    Alwin Twain Guest

    I can see the above entry in my SQL Server log file. What is the meaning of
    it? SQL2K. Thank you, Paul

    Alwin Twain, Sep 17, 2005

  2. Alwin Twain

    Paul Robson Guest

    Alwin Twain wrote:
    > I can see the above entry in my SQL Server log file. What is the meaning of
    > it? SQL2K. Thank you, Paul

    It means what it says :)

    The SQL Server is listening at a specific point in the "computer world"
    for instructions - what data to fetch or update for example.

    The 'address' is in two parts. The first part (127.0.0.1) is the address
    of a specific computer on the internet.

    By convention 127.0.0.1 (or "localhost") is your own computer. If it was
    another computer it might be (say) 216.239.59.104 (this is google).

    All those internet addresses - like www.slashdot.org 'resolve' to a four
    number address like this.

    The 1433 is a port on that computer ; it's like 127.0.0.1 identifies the
    town and street and 1433 the house number of the place to run SQL Queries.

    Paul Robson, Sep 17, 2005