    I'm considering removal (Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs) of all SQL
    Server entries, but I'm not sure of the consequences.

    Why should I not remove this from the machine?

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 10, 2009

  2. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > I have a machine that is running SQL Server 2005. There is an update
    > SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS EDITION, SP3 (KB955706) that is failing.
    >
    > This machine is used at home, and has no known interest in database
    > management of the type that I understand SQL to do.
    >
    > I'm considering removal (Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs) of
    > all SQL Server entries, but I'm not sure of the consequences.
    >
    > Why should I not remove this from the machine?

    If you are not running any database application, why are you running SQL
    Server ?

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Apr 10, 2009

  3. "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >
    >> I have a machine that is running SQL Server 2005. There is an update
    >> SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS EDITION, SP3 (KB955706) that is failing.
    >>
    >> This machine is used at home, and has no known interest in database
    >> management of the type that I understand SQL to do.
    >>
    >> I'm considering removal (Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs) of
    >> all SQL Server entries, but I'm not sure of the consequences.
    >>
    >> Why should I not remove this from the machine?

    > If you are not running any database application, why are you running SQL
    > Server ?

    That's an excellent question. I don't know that it came preinstalled on the
    machine, my guess is that it was preinstalled.

    When I look at the Processes that are running in Task Manager, there are
    almost 80. Several of them are SQL Server related. I have several instances
    svchost running and I'm hoping I can trim a few of them off.

    I know lots of stuff about my computer, but the network stuff is my weak
    point. I don't know what is needed for a standalone machine that goes onto
    the 'net through a cable modem.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 10, 2009
  4. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a machine that is running SQL Server 2005. There is an update
    >>> SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS EDITION, SP3 (KB955706) that is failing.

    I missed this bit ! See last paragraph !

    >>> This machine is used at home, and has no known interest in database
    >>> management of the type that I understand SQL to do.
    >>>
    >>> I'm considering removal (Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs) of
    >>> all SQL Server entries, but I'm not sure of the consequences.

    As always make sure you have a good backup and/or system image
    beforehand.

    >>> Why should I not remove this from the machine?

    >> If you are not running any database application, why are you running
    >> SQL Server ?

    > That's an excellent question. I don't know that it came preinstalled
    > on the machine, my guess is that it was preinstalled.

    I don't know enough about Wins to answer that ! I would guess it would
    not be needed on a plain OS install. On a server I would expect some
    kind of database simply to keep track of what it is doing.

    > When I look at the Processes that are running in Task Manager, there
    > are almost 80. Several of them are SQL Server related. I have several
    > instances svchost running and I'm hoping I can trim a few of them off.

    If you delete any that are needed they should be restarted at next boot.

    > I know lots of stuff about my computer, but the network stuff is my
    > weak point. I don't know what is needed for a standalone machine that
    > goes onto the 'net through a cable modem.

    You might actually find that the OS uses/requires SQL to keep track of
    what its doing, particularly if its Internet facing. If I recall
    is/this was one of the attack vectors for some malware not too long
    ago.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.