Sql Server 2005 for MCAD

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Sandeep, Jun 19, 2006.

  1. Sandeep

    Sandeep Guest

    hi everybody,

    I want to install Sql Server 2005, Developer Edition for the purpose of MCAD
    on my system. My system configuration:

    1. Operating System - Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
    2. Processor - Intel (r) Pentium IV 2.8 GHZ
    3. RAM - 512 MB

    System Requirements for installing SQL SERVER 2005:

    1. Operating System - XP SP2/Server 2000 SP4/Server 2003
    2. Processor - P III or higher
    3. Processor speed - Minimum 600 MHZ
    4. RAM - Mimimum : 512 MB
    Recommended : 1 GB or more

    So, when i install Sql server, set up gives a warning about minimum hardware
    requirements. According to me, the reason can be that my system is actually
    showing 480MB of RAM instead of 512 MB in the system properties dialog. The
    setup,however, can continue & install the sql server.

    Now, i want to know whether i should extend the memory to more than 512 MB
    or should i install the sql server. if i install what will be performance of
    the system? is there any problem or not? Please help me.

    Sandeep

    Sandeep, Jun 19, 2006

  2. Install. Your configuration is more than good enough.
    Start services manually (don't choose to start any services before you
    actually use them), this is not because your configuration is inadequate,
    the warning you get should be seen as a performance warning.
    Install the service pack too (microsoft.com/sql).

    Gorm

    Gorm Braarvig, Jun 19, 2006

  3. Sandeep

    Cerebrus Guest

    > Start services manually (don't choose to start any services before you
    > actually use them)

    That's the way I do it too. ;-)

    Cerebrus, Jun 19, 2006
  4. Sandeep

    Sandeep Guest

    Thank Gorm & cerebrus for your time & information.

    Sandeep, Jun 20, 2006