SQL Server 2000

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by MeAgain, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. MeAgain

    MeAgain Guest

    This may not be the correct forum to ask this question.
    But the best problem solvers, techs and pros are here.

    I've been wrestling with a problem, and am hoping someone
    is in a good mode and wants to help.

    Here is my path to destruction.....

    Did a database backup in SQL Server 2000.

    Copied files to secondary storage.

    Reinstalled SQL Server 2000.

    Needed old database to restore backup.
    (%$@#!)
    Is there a method for making a "new" database restore
    from another's backup?

    I really appreciate any help.

    Me

    MeAgain, Feb 4, 2004

  2. MeAgain

    Maria Guest

    Create a new, empty database. Then restore it from the
    backup.

    hth

    Maria, Feb 4, 2004

  3. MeAgain

    Sunny Guest

    when you want to create a new empty database,don't forget
    to name it "exactly" as the database you want to restore.
    after creating, you can restore the database without any
    problems.

    Sunny, Feb 4, 2004
  4. MeAgain

    Steve Guest

    You may also have to deal with orphaned users after you restore the
    database. See this article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;274188

    Otherwise it's a very simple process.

    Steve, Feb 4, 2004
  5. MeAgain

    MeAgainAgain Guest

    Thank you everyone!!

    I re-read my problem.....
    I didn't state my problem correctly.

    I don't have a "backup" file.

    I have the underlying MDB/LDB files.......
    the files that are created when you create a new database.

    And I can't "restore" from those files.
    And I can't make a new database "point" to those files.

    I found some third party database conversion tools.
    Anyone have an opinion about those?

    MSSQL-->Access--->comma delimited.

    Comma delimited files would solve my problem.

    MeAgainAgain

    MeAgainAgain, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Boy was that stupid.
    I got it.
    I thought I had a "backup" file for some reason.

    I just attached the MDB to a new database.

    Wow, pretty dumb.

    IdLikeToCancelMyPostPlease.

    IdLikeToCancelMyPostPlease?, Feb 4, 2004
  7. MeAgainAgain wrote:
    > Thank you everyone!!
    >
    > I re-read my problem.....
    > I didn't state my problem correctly.
    >
    > I don't have a "backup" file.
    >
    > I have the underlying MDB/LDB files.......
    > the files that are created when you create a new database.
    >
    > And I can't "restore" from those files.
    > And I can't make a new database "point" to those files.

    Re-attach the database.

    General Protection Fault, Feb 4, 2004