    edition provide me with the ability to do that?

    Waiting patiently for Kline's foot up my posterior, though I don't know why,

    Brunswick

    Brunswick Lowe, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Brunswick Lowe

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >1) Is Enterprise Manager fully featured? ie, can I set up and administer
    >accounts, stored procedures and triggers?

    Yes.

    >2) What about Query Analyzer? Same as enterprise for most intents and
    >purposes?

    Yes.

    >3) I've been developing against MySQL, MSDE and Access.

    Never mind, he, he!

    >I would like to take
    >70-229, but I need to get some experience with the interface. Will this
    >edition provide me with the ability to do that?

    Absolutely. However, you do need to have some idea about federated
    servers & distributed views; so in order put into these practice you
    need more than one server (although you could used multiple
    installations on the same box). The same goes for replication.

    One other point, you certainly need to understand how to create and
    maintain database objects using tsql, rather than using the enterprise
    manager.

    Watch out for the graphical query plan questions!

    >Waiting patiently for Kline's foot up my posterior, though I don't know why,

    Watch out I'm behind you now!
    lol!

    Kline Sphere, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Brunswick Lowe

    Tom Dacon Guest

    Microsoft's SQL Server site says that the developer edition is just the
    enterprise edition with a different license. So it's otherwise completely
    full-function. I'm running it and I can't tell any difference between it and
    the enterprise edition I've run elsewhere.

    Tom Dacon
    Dacon Software Consulting

    Tom Dacon, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Guys,

    Thanks for the input. I must however apologize, for after reading Tom's
    post, I realized I simply wasn't looking at the right part of microsoft.com.
    He is right. They pretty much answer all of my questions when they say,
    "enjoy all the features of enterprise edition."

    Maybe I can blame it on the flu. Or maybe Kline will find something else for
    me to blame it on. Or maybe that can just go unsaid.

    Brunswick

    Brunswick Lowe, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Brunswick Lowe

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Maybe I can blame it on the flu. Or maybe Kline will find something else for
    >me to blame it on. Or maybe that can just go unsaid.

    No you can't. If you're too stupid not to get a flu vaccination, then
    I have no symphony for you! lol!

    Get well soon!

    Kline Sphere, Dec 18, 2003
  6. Smart enough to vaccinate my son, but not soon enough. He got it 1.5 weeks
    after the shot and I got it 1 week after he did.

    Lesson learned. Recovery is surprisingly quick this time.

    Brunswick Lowe, Dec 18, 2003
  7. Brunswick Lowe

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Had flu once, nearly died. Expect some here to say, shame I never!

    Kline Sphere, Dec 18, 2003
  8. "Brunswick Lowe" <> wrote in message
    > Happy Holidays,
    >
    > Does anyone have experience with the Developer Edition of SQL Server 2K? I
    > know I can't deploy it and that connections are limited, etc., but I have

    > few other questions. I consulted microsoft.com, but it didn't answer my
    > questions.
    >
    > 1) Is Enterprise Manager fully featured? ie, can I set up and administer
    > accounts, stored procedures and triggers?

    Yes. Same EM as the Enterprise version. NOTE that some advanced database
    features will not install on a non-Server OS, but it should not affect
    certs.

    > 2) What about Query Analyzer? Same as enterprise for most intents and
    > purposes?

    Query Analyzer is used for writing queries against a database, which can be
    admin or developer related. EM is used primarily for administration,
    although you can use it for querying.

    > 3) I've been developing against MySQL, MSDE and Access. I would like to

    take
    > 70-229, but I need to get some experience with the interface. Will this
    > edition provide me with the ability to do that?

    Yes and yes! IT is full featured. Installed on the right OS, it is
    equivalent to SQL Server Enterprise.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Dec 19, 2003
  9. Federated what? That's not what the dump site said. LOL

    NOTE: This is tongue-in-cheek.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Dec 19, 2003
  10. Got the vax, but it is the wrong strain. Achoo! ;->

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Dec 19, 2003
  11. Brunswick Lowe

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Federated what? That's not what the dump site said. LOL
    >
    >NOTE: This is tongue-in-cheek.

    He, he..

    Kline Sphere, Dec 19, 2003
  12. Brunswick Lowe

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Got the vax, but it is the wrong strain. Achoo! ;->

    Hope you're better for Christmas!

    Kline Sphere, Dec 19, 2003
  13. So do I. ;->

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Dec 24, 2003