    will backup while the database is running? Can I use the SQL integrated
    backup tool instead of the windows backup tool? Or does it do the same
    thing? Thanks.
    =?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?=, Oct 25, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?=

    TBone Guest

    And on the eigth day <> did cause the

    > Is it a fact then when using the windows based backup
    > tool that SQL server stops running, the backup is made, then SQL
    > starts it self again??

    Can't say I've actually tried it, because it probably wouldn't work
    anyway. Most likely, backup would skip the actual database files becuase
    they were in use.

    > Can I use the SQL integrated backup tool instead of the windows backup

    tool? Or does it do the same thing?

    Can you? How about *you should always use the integrated backup tool*.
    There... its in bold or at least as best as we can do with plain text.

    -------

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    TBone, Oct 25, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?=

    John R Guest

    "Hollywood0728" <> wrote in message
    > My knowledge of SQL is very little, I will start there. I can't seem to
    > find
    > the answer in BOLD text that I am looking for so I will ask the public.
    > Is
    > it a fact then when using the windows based backup tool that SQL server
    > stops
    > running, the backup is made, then SQL starts it self again?? Or do I
    > manually have to stop it, and start it? I would think I don't want the
    > SQL
    > database to stop running so I am assuming they have third party software
    > that
    > will backup while the database is running? Can I use the SQL integrated
    > backup tool instead of the windows backup tool? Or does it do the same
    > thing? Thanks.

    You should use the integrated backup tool to create your DB backups, and
    then use your Enterprise backup solution to backup the SQL backup files,
    unless your Enterprise backup solution has an SQL plug-in.

    We backup all of our SQL databases through the integrated tool at say 10pm
    to a shared folder. Our Enterprise backup then backs up the share at 1am.
    If we need to restore, we simply restore the backup share, and then use SQL
    to pull the backup from there back into the DB. Maybe not the most
    efficient way to do it, but certainly effective.

    John R
    John R, Oct 25, 2007
  4. Well I guess the sarcasm wasn't needed. Atleast I was upfront about my
    little knowledge of SQL. But Thanks, I guess.

    =?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?=, Oct 25, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?=

    kpg* Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?= <> wrote in

    > Well I guess the sarcasm wasn't needed. Atleast I was upfront about
    > my little knowledge of SQL. But Thanks, I guess.

    A simple Thank you would have sufficed. Where your manners?
    kpg*, Oct 25, 2007
  6. John -

    I currently have 1 SQL server 2000 in the mix. I am having troubles getting
    the back up to work over the network? Have you ran into any trouble like
    this? Is there a script that needs to be written to achieve this? Thanks in
    advance.

    =?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?=, Oct 25, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?=

    John R Guest

    We use Enterprise manager SQL Server Agent Job to backup each database to a
    folder on the SQL box locally. That folder is shared on the network. Then,
    Veritas comes along each night at a later time to backup the shared folder.
    But to answer your question, we create the backups on the local server, and
    then the backup server comes along and copies it over the network.

    John R

    John R, Oct 25, 2007
  8. When Veritas comes along and copies the locally saved SQL backup over the
    network to my centralized storage, is there an option that will delete that
    locally stored backup file or will it take administrative labor to delete
    local backups? The only reason I ask is due to storage space on local SQL
    machines.

    =?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?=, Oct 26, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?=

    John R Guest

    The SQL DB maintenance plan has an option on how long to keep the backups.
    We keep three days.

    John R

    John R, Oct 26, 2007