    Any ideas why one pc seems to get so many more infections than the
    other, even though they are both on the same broadband line?
    Thanks
    Ron, Aug 21, 2007

  2. Ron

    Mike Easter Guest

    Ron wrote:
    > I have 2 PC's. One, a laptop connected with a wireless router, the
    > other a desktop wired through the same router.

    But how are they configured vis the OS and the browser's configuration?
    And mailuser agent. That is more important than whether they are wired
    or wireless or policed with adaware/avg.

    > They both share a
    > broadband connection with Virgin Media.
    > Both have Ad-aware SE and AVG free, kept up to date and run weekly/
    > daily.

    Those are the tools which you use to discover what has already happened
    in terms of contamination infestation.

    > The Desktop rarely has any objects found but the desktop always has
    > 30-80 critical objects detected.

    You spoke wrong there; presumably you mean good DT bad LT.

    > It also gets viruses that AVG Free
    > edition deals with ( just today it found A0029741.exe).

    Yep. You have a loosely configured and/or 'administered' LT.

    > It also seems
    > to slow down the laptop quite a lot.

    Of course. When you allow contamination and infestation to take place,
    you are only finding some fraction of it with adaware -- there is other
    infestation that you don't even know about.

    > Any ideas why one pc seems to get so many more infections than the
    > other, even though they are both on the same broadband line?

    It isn't about their broadband line. It is about the configurations and
    behaviors of the two.

    One person can configure their browser and their mailuser agent very
    securely, while someone else configures their browser and mailuser agent
    very loosely so that they can have their 'internet experience'. When
    they are having their internet and mail experiences, they are getting
    themselves contaminated. When they are contaminated, they are more
    susceptible to more infestations.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 21, 2007

  3. Ron

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-08-21, Ron <> wrote:
    > I have 2 PC's. One, a laptop connected with a wireless router, the
    > other a desktop wired through the same router. They both share a
    > broadband connection with Virgin Media.
    > Both have Ad-aware SE and AVG free, kept up to date and run weekly/
    > daily.
    > The Desktop rarely has any objects found but the desktop always has
    > 30-80 critical objects detected. It also gets viruses that AVG Free
    > edition deals with ( just today it found A0029741.exe). It also seems
    > to slow down the laptop quite a lot.
    > Any ideas why one pc seems to get so many more infections than the
    > other, even though they are both on the same broadband line?
    > Thanks

    My guess is that the one that has more trouble gets taken to more web sites
    or handles more dodgy emails from which it can pick up infections.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 21, 2007
  4. Ron

    ded Guest

    "Ron" <> wrote in message
    >I have 2 PC's. One, a laptop connected with a wireless router, the
    > other a desktop wired through the same router. They both share a
    > broadband connection with Virgin Media.
    > Both have Ad-aware SE and AVG free, kept up to date and run weekly/
    > daily.
    > The Desktop rarely has any objects found but the desktop always has
    > 30-80 critical objects detected. It also gets viruses that AVG Free
    > edition deals with ( just today it found A0029741.exe). It also seems
    > to slow down the laptop quite a lot.
    > Any ideas why one pc seems to get so many more infections than the
    > other, even though they are both on the same broadband line?
    > Thanks

    "The Desktop rarely has any objects found but the desktop always.."

    You got a bit mixed and listed desktop twice, anyway.......
    Malware is to a greater extent down to ones activity online.
    The one with seemingly greater infestation, is that the one you use to
    surf sites that install plugins/add-ons, is it the one you download files
    from the web, filesharing sites, porn sites etc. Is it the one you open
    spam emails on, open email attachments etc
    ded, Aug 21, 2007
  5. Ron

    Ron Guest

    On Aug 21, 10:20 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    > "Ron" <> wrote in message
    >

    > You got a bit mixed and listed desktop twice, anyway.......

    Yes did get my laptops & desktops a bit mixed up there - sorry.

    > Malware is to a greater extent down to ones activity online.
    > The one with seemingly greater infestation, is that the one you use to
    > surf sites that install plugins/add-ons, is it the one you download files
    > from the web, filesharing sites, etc.

    This is actually the opposite. The desktop I use to download stuff to
    try out, download music, myspace, utube and generally experiment with
    tweaks etc. I would have thought this the more at risk. The laptop is
    used more by my wife, for shopping, surfing and such, never for
    downloading and I am not allowed to 'mess ' with it.

    >Is it the one you open spam emails on, open email attachments etc

    I would say both are equally used for email as they both receive the
    same through Outlook Express. I also use anti-spam and don't open
    unknown attachments

    Cheers
    Ron
    Ron, Aug 22, 2007
  6. Ron

    Mike Easter Guest

    Ron wrote:

    > The laptop is
    > used more by my wife, for shopping, surfing and such, never for
    > downloading and I am not allowed to 'mess ' with it.

    Let me see if I understand. You are not allowed to 'mess' with it, but
    you are the one cleaning it up with adaware/avg? You are not allowed to
    mess with it but you observe that it is slow?

    Ron wrote:
    > 30-80 critical objects detected. It also gets viruses that AVG Free
    > edition deals with ( just today it found A0029741.exe). It also seems
    > to slow down the laptop quite a lot.

    > I would say both are equally used for email as they both receive the
    > same through Outlook Express. I also use anti-spam and don't open
    > unknown attachments

    We are talking about the LT's configuration of browser and OE. We are
    talking about the LT's behavior in handling mail -- do you observe/watch
    your wife using the LT to handle her mail? Do you observe/watch your
    wife surfing around and experiencing the internet on the LT?

    I think if I were observing the two machines I would be able to figure
    out what is wrong with the configuration and the behavior. I suspect
    the LT is 'loose' in its configuration and behaviors in terms of
    insecure config/behav.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 22, 2007
  7. Ron

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Ron" <> wrote in message
    >I have 2 PC's. One, a laptop connected with a wireless router, the
    > other a desktop wired through the same router. They both share a
    > broadband connection with Virgin Media.
    > Both have Ad-aware SE and AVG free, kept up to date and run weekly/
    > daily.
    > The Desktop rarely has any objects found but the desktop always has
    > 30-80 critical objects detected. It also gets viruses that AVG Free
    > edition deals with ( just today it found A0029741.exe). It also seems
    > to slow down the laptop quite a lot.
    > Any ideas why one pc seems to get so many more infections than the
    > other, even though they are both on the same broadband line?

    It depends upon who is sitting behind the keyboard and mouse doing the
    typing and clicking.

    practice safe hex

    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
    Mr. Arnold, Aug 22, 2007
  8. Ron

    Ron Guest

    > I suspect
    > the LT is 'loose' in its configuration and behaviors in terms of
    > insecure config/behav.

    Thanks
    Is there an easy way to check/fix this 'loose configuration'
    Cheers
    Ron
    Ron, Aug 23, 2007