    overkill?

    thanks,

    paranoid sam

    sammy, Sep 7, 2006

  2. sammy

    Guest

    "sammy" <> wrote:

    >hi,
    >
    >i have etrust pest patrol, ez firewall and etrust ez anti-virus running at
    >stat up.
    >
    >i think i'm covered but am curious as to what you folks think is the best
    >free anti-spyware/malware program available today.

    Common sense, but your only as good as the knowledge you have.
    http://vx.netlux.org/ and http://www.honeynet.org/papers/bots/
    for starters.

    But the latest test says AOL is a pretty decent virus program
    http://tech.cybernetnews.com/2006/09/04/and-the-best-antivirus-is/

    --
    1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise :D
    http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

    , Sep 7, 2006

  3. sammy

    Xceptiona1 Guest

    I would say the biggest things to make sure you do is keep your computer
    updated with patches, make sure to use at least medium level of security
    within IE, if you use that. and really watch what you download/ allow on
    your computer. I dont have any protection, not even virus protection and
    in 10 years have yet to get infected. One program I really like is called
    teatimer, its part of spybots install. At any rate it asks you everytime
    the computer wants to change the registry and I've installed that on
    peoples computers before if they were having issues.

    Xceptiona1, Sep 7, 2006
  4. sammy

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    Muse Gruppes, Sep 7, 2006
  5. sammy enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > hi,
    >
    > i have etrust pest patrol, ez firewall and etrust ez anti-virus
    > running at stat up.
    >
    > i think i'm covered but am curious as to what you folks think is the
    > best free anti-spyware/malware program available today.

    Noone is covered. Read about the latest word2000 exploit. It takes just
    one e-mail with a word doc.

    > do you think if i add an anti-spyware/malware program that it will be
    > overkill?

    As long as it doesn't run resident and step on another security programs
    toes or hog your cpu, and you have enough time to scan and update it
    regularly, it won't harm after all.
    But then, "safe hex" has always been the best measure against nasties:
    - get the security updates of your OS and your office software
    - do NOT surf as admin, use a RESTRICTED account for that and for e-mail
    - NEVER use html preview in your mail program
    - a mail program that's not using IEs engine is a better mail program
    - a browser without activeX (like opera, firefox) is a better browser
    - do NOT open attachments you don't expect, not even from (supposedly)
    friends. Their e-mail address may have been harvested, or they are
    infected by themselves. Ask for confirmation instead.
    - do not trust questionable sources (p2p downloads). If you desperately
    need that one song, that one program, let it sit at your quarantine
    folder for one week, then update your virus scanner and scan it.
    Expand it, if possible, without installing, and scan again.
    - You can have alternative operating systems like linux running without
    virus scanners for years - but they need regular security updates and
    B.R.A.I.N V1.0 protection as well.

    Have fun :)

    Walter Mautner, Sep 7, 2006